• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubey

Just a few quotes from some 'keyboard experts'...

Why, someone tell me, do we persist with short corners? Offside from one yesterday (!), two failed to get the ball across, yet their short corner resulted in a goal as did the Crewe one at Wembley. They don't work!

That I agree with... Short corners arrgghhh!

****ing short corners!

Short corners again...

As for short corners, the groan around Roots Hall whenever these are taken sums up how ineffective they are.

Can someone explain why we ask both centre backs to walk 40 yards into the penalty box for a corner, then play it short ?

Build some small brick walls around each corner quadrant so that short corners are impossible

can we stop the short corners though please

Sometimes players think they're being clever, 'Lets take a short corner again, that will fool them.'
But they're being clueless as all our big players are waiting for a cross.

I can't recall any of our short corners resulting in anything!

Maybe the change of personnel means they are now more effective? We do still, often, mess them up, but at least we are now not continually getting caught offside from them, which was, for me, the worst and most frustrating outcome!

So if we all of a sudden score one goal from a Ryan Leonard throw that means the hundreds of previous unsuccessful ones were worth it?

Fella just across from me last night screamed "****ING SHORT CORNER" just as Coker took the return pass from Atkinson and whipped it in for the assist. To be fair, he did have a chuckle at himself and was clearly happy to have been proven wrong!

Last night was peculiar for three of the four goals coming if not directly, then certainly as a result of, corners. The actual conversion rate is much lower than people tend to think. Haven't' got any recent data immediately to hand, but I'll see what I can dig out.

Phil Brown has already explained why they do short corners, its to pull out a body or two from the 6 yard box to make space.

Whether it works often or not that makes sense, and its not like we score from long corners either.

Can I just ask, when was the last time we scored a short corner?

Phil Brown has already explained why they do short corners, its to pull out a body or two from the 6 yard box to make space.

Whether it works often or not that makes sense, and its not like we score from long corners either.
We've scored a couple from long corners fairly recently. Corr V Stevenage in the Play Offs and Bolger V Newport at some point in April.

Although, that short corner last night got into a much better area than any long corners we had so maybe they are the way forward.

I hate short corners. The fact we scored from one last night will not change that. Even a stopped watch is right two times a day.

To be fair we are woeful from all set-pieces these days.

We've scored a couple from long corners fairly recently. Corr V Stevenage in the Play Offs and Bolger V Newport at some point in April.

Although, that short corner last night got into a much better area than any long corners we had so maybe they are the way forward.

That's not really a lot though is it, if you look at how many corners we have and how many we score its very low, and Id imagine its pretty low for most teams.

Back