• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
Why, someone tell me, do we persist with short corners? Offside from one yesterday (!), two failed to get the ball across, yet their short corner resulted in a goal as did the Crewe one at Wembley. They don't work!

Why, someone tell me, do we persist with short corners? Offside from one yesterday (!), two failed to get the ball across, yet their short corner resulted in a goal / as did the Crewe one at Wembley. They don't work!

I think you've answered your own question that they DO work. We need to get better at them.

I don't think any set of fans like a short corner. It just seems a waste when they don't work, which they rarely do.

Much like Ryan Leonard's long throws. Don't recall us getting a single goal from them but teams have scored from long throws against us

Isnt that just perception?

I cant remember conceding any goals recently from long throws?

I don't think any set of fans like a short corner. It just seems a waste when they don't work, which they rarely do.

I get your point, but how often do corners work in general? I know in my Sunday side we resorted to short corners as we are a small team and putting a ball into the box was a fruitless exercise, we were better keeping posession. I know we have players like Corr but I'd be interested to know our conversion rate from corners last season and whether that has led to a re-think?

At least if you get the ball into the box direct, there's no offside.

i think there are pros and cons for the short corner.
Let's face it , pro teams would not persist with them if they had no merit at all.
My opinion ( for what it's worth ) is that for a short corner to have greater potential of creating a chance , it has to be played quickly and the first receiver needs to deliver the ball in straight away.
This changes the angle of delivery for the keeper and defenders as opposed to a direct corner in which the defence have a good idea of how the ball is coming in.
As you point out though , one of the downsides is that a well drilled defence can push out and leave the attacking team offside ( let's face it , BBBC is not the quickest at getting inside ! ).
I would only advocate a short corner against a team that were not awake and a bit cumbersome , but most defences are alive and close them down quickly , so in conclusion , I am not a fan of them.

Short corners are useful when deployed sparingly. There's no point in doing them all the time as they don't create any panic.

Corners are only any good when whipped in, the step up at RH makes that difficult. Hall is the only player I've seen able to do it regularly though I've only been attending matches in the past few years.

The short corner allows you to get an angle and pace on the cross, but we're absolutely pony at them

I thought we stopped doing them after Tilson left?

God they were awful!

I know we all hate statistics, but if you assess the stats a team is far more likely to score from a short corner than simply sticking it in the box.

Hard to believe I know, but the variety and uncertainty they cause generally leads to more goals.

I remember an excellently worked corner in the New Year Game Vs West Brom (2007?)- It involved our guys bunching together & splitting like atoms in seemingly random directions - the ball came over to Lewis Hunt at the far post who nodded in to make it 3-0 before half time.
Never seen us do it since.

I actually don't mind short corners - I find them marginally less aggravating than a poor long corner.

A couple of seasons ago we worked a super-short corner where Hall and Grant (from memory) took it by tapping the ball an inch so the opposition didn't know it had been taken, and then suddenly carrying on with play - that directly resulted in a goal if I remember correctly. I'm sure we did try it once again with far less successful results.

Back