• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Phil Brown Stay ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mr Brown is not the best manager we have ever had, nor the worse; I tend towards him being better than most.
I don't dislike him but I don't warm to him nor trust him too far either.
He has been well backed by RM and he has got us promoted.
He has assembled a very reasonable squad and if we don't push into the top half of the table this season ought to be classed as a failure and missed opportunity as no team at present seems "stand out" very good.
While PB is our manager I urge people to back him as I feel he is also a "confidence" person who does not perform at his best in the harder times.

I'll just repeat what I said earlier in the season when the "outers" were in full force.

PB's record with us

1st Full Season - reached play-offs
2nd Full Season - reached play-offs, won final and promotion
3rd Full Season - in play-off contention until Leonard got injured and the wheels fell off a bit, even then we still had a chance with 6-8 games to go. Still ended comfortably in mid-table

There's not too many managers out there with that sort of record, and if there were we would be clamouring for them to be our next manager.

As for the constant comments that PB has lost the dressing room, it just seems very convenient to me, that if we win, it's the senior players / Coughlan that have done the business, whereas if we lose PB must have had his fingerprints all over it.

PB quite clearly came out and stated a few weeks before this run, that he would prefer to play with a back 4 rather than the 3 CB we were playing at the time. So for people now to say that he has stumbled on a lucky formula, and it's only because the Senior Pros wanted it, is absolute bollocks IMO.

As for Barrett being "sent to Siberia", 1st as captain he should never have said that we were in a relegation battle when it was only 10 games into the season, it sends out totally the wrong message. And secondly, again PB has been quite clear on this, he doesn't see AB fitting into a back 4 at the moment, and there is no point in having a 38yo on the bench, when we have a better option in Innis.

I also respect your point of view too, and anyone else's for that matter. These past three games have been encouraging for all of us, but please - and this goes for Rigsby too - stop peddling this ridiculous view that just because people don't rate the manager it means we want Southend United to fail. It really is absurd.

Sounds like you can't deal with the truth. People have admitted earlier this season they would rather lose and see Brown get the sac.

By the way I bought your fanzine the other month and you just pedalled the some tired old anti PB stuff in that. Nothing that hasn't been said on here every time we lose. Or in todays case after we have just won 3-0 away at MK dons.

Well we always invite new contributors to say things how they see them, so feel free to write in. And for balance we had someone making the case for Brown too. Find it hard to see how it could have been the same 'old tired' anti-PB sentiment when it was our first issue in six months...

I'll just repeat what I said earlier in the season when the "outers" were in full force.

PB's record with us

3rd Full Season - in play-off contention until Leonard got injured and the wheels fell off a bit, even then we still had a chance with 6-8 games to go. Still ended comfortably in mid-table

There's not too many managers out there with that sort of record, and if there were we would be clamouring for them to be our next manager.

As for the constant comments that PB has lost the dressing room, it just seems very convenient to me, that if we win, it's the senior players / Coughlan that have done the business, whereas if we lose PB must have had his fingerprints all over it.

PB quite clearly came out and stated a few weeks before this run, that he would prefer to play with a back 4 rather than the 3 CB we were playing at the time. So for people now to say that he has stumbled on a lucky formula, and it's only because the Senior Pros wanted it, is absolute bollocks IMO.

As for Barrett being "sent to Siberia", 1st as captain he should never have said that we were in a relegation battle when it was only 10 games into the season, it sends out totally the wrong message. And secondly, again PB has been quite clear on this, he doesn't see AB fitting into a back 4 at the moment, and there is no point in having a 38yo on the bench, when we have a better option in Innis.

Latter part of last season and early doors this season

LDWLLLLLLLLDLWLDWLDLWLL.....15 losses in 22 games would have seen most gaffers chopped.

How refreshing ,someone with an intelligent assessment of the manager at long last .We may sti be in the play off !

Well we always invite new contributors to say things how they see them, so feel free to write in. And for balance we had someone making the case for Brown too. Find it hard to see how it could have been the same 'old tired' anti-PB sentiment when it was our first issue in six months...

Didn't realise that but six months is along time in the modern lets sac the manger football world. The same views have been said on here time and time again. Even today we have people wheeling out the Crew final as an excuse to PB bash. They need some more up to date material.

By the way liked the article about the meeting with SK and the info on Ranger.

The Sheffield report did not do us enough justice. Barrett, Mooney and Lenny all had to do some great defending before half time to keep it at 3-0

Anyway back to my point. There were definitely people who wanted us to lose and some wanted players to get injured. Anyone who takes their own personal dislike that far is a sad embarrassing excuse of a fan.

I've said elsewhere somewhere, that I was told Brown went into the dressing room after the most recent of the big away losses and asked the team if they wanted him to go. The results since speak volumes.
I know for a fact that is absolute horse ****

LDWLLLLLLLLDLWLDWLDLWLL.....15 losses in 22 games would have seen most gaffers chopped.

It now turns out we didn't lose to Bury so you'll have to alter your pointless spread over two seasons stats. Otherwise we were champions for the year 2015.

In fact if we are now going to have that rather new football stat.... the 'calendar year' Surely PB's record in 2015 would be the best ever for a Southend manager.

It now turns out we didn't lose to Bury so you'll have to alter your pointless spread over two seasons stats. Otherwise we were champions for the year 2015.

In fact if we are now going to have that rather new football stat.... the 'calendar year' Surely PB's record in 2015 would be the best ever for a Southend manager.

Right Riggers if you continue to question and be nasty to me your going on ignore:winking:

Although the run of losses was bad the reality was that the last half a dozen games of last season were dead rubbers therefore it was pretty irrelevant whether the games were won, drawn or lost. Our record in 2015 was very impressive therefore Brown deserved to have some credit in the bank for a bad run.

Although the run of losses was bad the reality was that the last half a dozen games of last season were dead rubbers therefore it was pretty irrelevant whether the games were won, drawn or lost. Our record in 2015 was very impressive therefore Brown deserved to have some credit in the bank for a bad run.

Yep 2015 the results were decent but the style was boring....Ron doesn't fire willy nilly so what you say has merit.....managers rarely can afford slip ups...maybe a tad unfair but it is what it is.

PB's record with us

As for Barrett being "sent to Siberia", 1st as captain he should never have said that we were in a relegation battle when it was only 10 games into the season, it sends out totally the wrong message. And secondly, again PB has been quite clear on this, he doesn't see AB fitting into a back 4 at the moment, and there is no point in having a 38yo on the bench, when we have a better option in Innis

If you're going to quote a post, you should at least try and respond to the points raised, not just post some random stats to back up your repetitive opinions.

Last edited:
'Billericay' to quote multi-posts, click on the 'quote+' button in the bottom right hand corner of each post you want to quote, but with the final one, just click on 'reply with quote'. All of the quoted posts will then appear as 'multi-quotes' in the 'quick reply' box at the bottom.

You can then type below each one, for any points you want to add. :thumbsup:

HTH.

That was me by the way. I feel I don't have to be anonymous now. :winking:

Back