• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Should Tilson go now?

Should Tilson go now?

• Yes

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • No

Votes: 143 85.6%

• Total voters
Those 17.83% were clearly not around when we had Wignall/Martin/Newman in charge.

Sorry had to change Little's name he got a really raw deal while at Southend, sacked when we were 6th jst to bring in Webb who did nothing in his 3rd spell.

Argh! Will people stop saying that - stop posting untrue facts just because people dont agree with your view. Opinions are fine, facts are arrogant.

I started watching Southend in 1986 and had a season ticket for around 7 years during the 90's and though I struggle to get to a high percentage of games now days due to work and other commitments, during the 90's and early 00's I went to most games home and away.

I've seen the dross. I've witnessed such legends as Tony Richards, Gordon Connolly, I've travelled to Roker Park just to watch Peter Butler make his comeback from a lengthy injury.

So don't assume everyone that doesnt think the sun shines out of Tilly's arse is a spotty 16 year-old oik :(

Argh! Will people stop saying that - stop posting untrue facts just because people dont agree with your view. Opinions are fine, facts are arrogant.

I started watching Southend in 1986 and had a season ticket for around 7 years during the 90's and though I struggle to get to a high percentage of games now days due to work and other commitments, during the 90's and early 00's I went to most games home and away.

I've seen the dross. I've witnessed such legends as Tony Richards, Gordon Connolly, I've travelled to Roker Park just to watch Peter Butler make his comeback from a lengthy injury.

So don't assume everyone that doesnt think the sun shines out of Tilly's arse is a spotty 16 year-old oik :(

I dont think anyone would doubt for a second your loyalty or commitment.

I think most of us probably of a similar age to you and with a similar number of managers and seasons behind us find it hard to grasp what you think we would gain by removing Tilly.

Dont get me wrong I have read your arguements and all have been very well put but I cant believe anyone that has to witness the Newman/Martin/Little era would want Tilly to go now considering how much better the football and club has become under his lead?

Ian, I have to disagree with this point. Anyone who watched the Northampton match could see that the back 4 played well as a unit and we kept a clean sheet. However for the MK Dons game what does Tilly do, he changes 2 of the personnel to accommodate Barrett and Harding and we look all at sea again.

Most managers, especially with limited resources would stick to a winning formula but not ST, and the sooner he plays the best 11 rather than his favourite 11 the better.

I have no doubt that he will become a really good manager, but he's very much in a learning phase after a very few years, and I for one become very tired of the harping on about 2 promotions, 2 trips to the Millennium Stadium, we beat Man utd etc etc. Any manager is only as good as his last result and our present position is not good despite everyone saying we're only, at best, a mid table team for this division. That's nonsense as we wouldn't have been promoted to the Championship had we not deserved it, but then we had a really good squad and played neat and attractive football.

Steve Tilson wasn't a bad manager then and hasn't become one overnight.

As much as others think, and I do have reservations myself, bringing in a new manager now would only mean that he would have to get more out of the same players as RM has appeared to deplete the squad to the bare bones without replacement.

It was inevitable that when the loans expired we would have problems and despite what you say bringing in another manager would not necessarily mean bringing in an unknown quantity. There are loads of managers out of work many with very decent track records so that argument is unfounded.

Tha point is that any manager coming in would have to work with the same resources as ST and I belive his budget has been cut to a minimum. The promised 'War Chest' has never materialised for whatever reason, and despite promises of materialisation once again in January, I have sincere doubts. I hate more than anything the unfounded promises of the Chairman who is clearly a businessman first and foremost. We are all only football supporters who wish for SUFC to be successful and thats where the differences lie.

In my own opinion, it is these misguided statements from the Chairman that have caused most of the problems for ST as we have cashed in on players without replacement, made good money from promotion and TV rights and I have no doubt, that we have reduced past losses.

These, however, have been at the expense of the squad which in turn has brought pressure on ST.

I for one am not happy at the moment but am patient enough to see what happens in January, to see if the 'War Chest' at long last materialises, or to maybe see another influx of loan players which I believe would highlight the Chairman's intentions.

Northampton was an experiment at home, which worked.

We all learned something, as I suspect did T & B, maybe SF operates best in the centre back position.

Makes him an extremely useful cover player in a number of positions and roles.

Those who have called for buying a CH as cover can think again, or we can perhaps keep the cheque book closed, unless the still transfer listed Clarke gets a better offer [as has been suggested on here that Naarwich are considering a bid].

I entirely agreed before the MK game with bringing Barratt and Clarke back together in the centre for the MK away game, even though some suggest it did not work [matter of opinion].

Those who say B & C do not operate well together are entitled to their opinion but for my money, we are missing that holding and sitting CM general who is the first dependable line of defence in front of them.

Bring on JFC - problem potentially half solved. Just need the creative midfielder to feed the forwards with that killer pass.

Ball carriers in the Sawyer mould and some one touch passing would not go amiss either.

Too many goals conceded from aerial ball at set pieces is the worry and the whole team need to work on that as well as the CB's.

Ther financial issues you raise are a whole differing ball game and we shall soon see and learn, what's what in that regard. Lets keep our powder dry and await developments eh ?

Last edited:
I dont think anyone would doubt for a second your loyalty or commitment.

I think most of us probably of a similar age to you and with a similar number of managers and seasons behind us find it hard to grasp what you think we would gain by removing Tilly.

Dont get me wrong I have read your arguements and all have been very well put but I cant believe anyone that has to witness the Newman/Martin/Little era would want Tilly to go now considering how much better the football and club has become under his lead?

I think as others have said, the Newman/Littles/Martin's aren't the only option and do not necessarily dictate that is what will end up with.

The football under Tilly has on the whole been very good and these last 5 years have probably been the best times supporting the club - though the first promotion and season under Webby come close.

But on the other hand, I think the actual football we played under Fry was the best I've ever seen - and he came from non-league. So whilst I appreciate Fry is one of a kind, I repeat again, Tilly isnt the be all and end all and we do not have to go back to hoof boring football just because Tilly isnt at the helm.

Football is a results business though and it begs the question would people prefer to go down this season playing the 'right way' under Tilson (though with the current squad/form/confidence I think we could be in for a few more dull performances) or make a surge for the play-offs and ultimately get promoted this season with a new man at the helm playing ugly?

Different slant on the argument...

Ian, I have to disagree with this point. Anyone who watched the Northampton match could see that the back 4 played well as a unit and we kept a clean sheet. However for the MK Dons game what does Tilly do, he changes 2 of the personnel to accommodate Barrett and Harding and we look all at sea again.

Most managers, especially with limited resources would stick to a winning formula but not ST, and the sooner he plays the best 11 rather than his favourite 11 the better.

I have no doubt that he will become a really good manager, but he's very much in a learning phase after a very few years, and I for one become very tired of the harping on about 2 promotions, 2 trips to the Millennium Stadium, we beat Man utd etc etc. Any manager is only as good as his last result and our present position is not good despite everyone saying we're only, at best, a mid table team for this division. That's nonsense as we wouldn't have been promoted to the Championship had we not deserved it, but then we had a really good squad and played neat and attractive football.

Steve Tilson wasn't a bad manager then and hasn't become one overnight.

As much as others think, and I do have reservations myself, bringing in a new manager now would only mean that he would have to get more out of the same players as RM has appeared to deplete the squad to the bare bones without replacement.

It was inevitable that when the loans expired we would have problems and despite what you say bringing in another manager would not necessarily mean bringing in an unknown quantity. There are loads of managers out of work many with very decent track records so that argument is unfounded.

Tha point is that any manager coming in would have to work with the same resources as ST and I belive his budget has been cut to a minimum. The promised 'War Chest' has never materialised for whatever reason, and despite promises of materialisation once again in January, I have sincere doubts. I hate more than anything the unfounded promises of the Chairman who is clearly a businessman first and foremost. We are all only football supporters who wish for SUFC to be successful and thats where the differences lie.

In my own opinion, it is these misguided statements from the Chairman that have caused most of the problems for ST as we have cashed in on players without replacement, made good money from promotion and TV rights and I have no doubt, that we have reduced past losses.

These, however, have been at the expense of the squad which in turn has brought pressure on ST.

I for one am not happy at the moment but am patient enough to see what happens in January, to see if the 'War Chest' at long last materialises, or to maybe see another influx of loan players which I believe would highlight the Chairman's intentions.

Valid points well made, although I think you're being a bit harsh on the Chairman.

I'm assuming that you must be wearing rose tinted glasses because you've obviously missed the fact that the country is on the verge of, if not is already, well into a recession.

Now Ron and the club could follow Mr Brown's lead and spend their way out of this, buy more players, pay higher wages etc in the hope that we do achieve promotion quickly and that the increased revenues will pay for more signings, higher wages, a new stadium etc to keep us there. Attendances will rise won't they? Mr Joe Public will also continue to spend through the recession won't he? Season ticket - no problem, re-new the Sky subscription - of course.

Or perhaps Ron will draw the purse strings in, try to retain cash by making more use of the loan system, continue with a rigid wage structure. Maintain League One status but with one eye on promotion and the other on the investors who might be willing to put money into a Club that is financially sound, with a long and bright future, and a new stadium.

Tough choice? The credit crunch has shown that times change very quickly and you'll be hard pushed to find any business man who stated at the beginning of this year that he had money to spend who is still willing to do so today.

i voted no but i think january is going to be a huge time for tilly. he's not going to be able to get that many in so he's going to need to be very careful who he chooses. centre back is my first hope and also some players who aren't on loan. don't think a whole team of loan signings is helping anyone tbh.

good luck to him.

i voted no but i think january is going to be a huge time for tilly. he's not going to be able to get that many in so he's going to need to be very careful who he chooses. centre back is my first hope and also some players who aren't on loan. don't think a whole team of loan signings is helping anyone tbh.

good luck to him.

The doubters need to take a look at themselves and resolve to really get behind both team and mamagement during what may be a rocky spell.

We will demand 100% from them, so why not 100% support.

Supporters need to lead by example and exorsise the negative waves and vibes from the terraces.

The home games against Crewe and Yeovil in January are key games to elevate us away from the danger zone. Every man, woman and child needs to leave RH knowing they have done their bit toward achieving the desirable results and not indirectly assisting the opposition.

Last edited:
its a real shame but i just think he has got to go when i he bought in hrk sawyer and christophe he new there deals would run out befor jan... when he had the chance to make them till january... that management for me was poor. We now only have one left back in the club and he is only 18. I dont no about use but i just fel there is no security in this club. Peter clark our best defender is still tansfer listed its just not a good time for southend united and i hate to say it but relegation could be a possibilty.

WHAT?? Christophe was only for 1 month but he impressed and stayed on for longer. Sawyer was only for 3, which is the maximum allowed for a short-term loan. Herd is a good player. There are many 18 year olds who player regularly for their teams. HRK was on a 1 month loan which was extended to 3 months. Poor management? I can't believe you are saying that replacing Macca and Moussa with Sawyer and Christophe was bad management. Who would you have played in CM while we had no Macca or Moussa? Please could you read your posts and use english. How old are you?

It would be stupid to let him go half way through a season and if we did we would be looking behind us hoping we don't go down.

Valid points well made, although I think you're being a bit harsh on the Chairman.

I'm assuming that you must be wearing rose tinted glasses because you've obviously missed the fact that the country is on the verge of, if not is already, well into a recession.

Sorry but you are referring to now. I was actually at the Sponsors evening in October of our Championship year and listened to RM promise a 'War Chest' the following January in a bid to secure Championship football if outline approval was given to the new stadium.

Outline approval was given and yet the 'War Chest' simply did not materialise.

I have listened to the same statement since and the promises never occur.

There was no credit crunch or recession at that time and my basis of opinion is upon the statements from that day forwards not necessarily upon this coming January when, I appreciate, times are hard.

What concern I have is with RM constantly promising funds for players which are never going to be made available for whatever reason.

He would simply be better off stating the obvious that times are hard and that ST will simply have to loan players to survive.

I think this would be fairer on ST as well as we could all appreciate how much harder his job is.

So no, I don't think I'm being harsh.

Absolutely. Disgraceful that we only got a draw at Chelsea. Surely we need a new man in charge for the replay?

LOL.

Absolutely. Disgraceful that we only got a draw at Chelsea. Surely we need a new man in charge for the replay?

LOL.

No need to drag this (or my other thread up). Its a one off game and as superb as the result was, it could have been 6 or 7 against us in the first half alone - thats the beauty of a one-off cup game.

I've not changed my view, but as posted earlier, lets forget the 'Tilly' situation for now and enjoy this result and coming week :)

With respect, I think there's every reason to make this point.

It wasn't made directly at yourself, but certainly was aimed at the various contributors who have, over recent weeks, adopted an anti Tilson stance.

His CV since 2004 now reads:

1 x relegation
2 x promotions
1 x playoffs
2 x trophy final
1 x victory over a strong Man U team at home.
1 x draw against a strong Chelsea team away.

I'm sure we'll enjoy this result for a long time. I hope we continue to enjoy the contribution made by a good young manager for a long time also.

Last edited:
Back