• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hello all, Shrewsbury fan in peace.

Was just hoping to get some thoughts on the game this saturday, massive game on our part as our annual poor christmas run saw us pick up 2 points from 9. Our home record has kept us in touching distance of the top 3, we are unbeaten since March at the Meadow. Ive not seen a lot of you this season but what i have seen has been impressive, im expecting the toughest test of the season saturday.

How many supporters will be travelling down for saturdays game? hoping for a 7,000+ crowd for this one, with a good atmosphere to boot.

Hi ,

Im not sure how many will travel as its a long distance one , but after a great away performance (second half) at northampton im sure a few extra bodies will go. Im guessing something like 250-500 will attend.

As for the game itself it really is a promotion six pointer. Win and we put clear daylight between us maybe increase the gap over swindon to 9 points (there result permitting), so im expecting quite the battle.

I have to be honest and say a score draw wouldnt be the end of the world though, but with swindon at home our next game straight after all 3 is what we will be coming there for and i would love it to be blues to break that unbeaten home run and send out a message to the league.

Good luck for the season and i hope that shrewsbury come up with us ahead of swindon and definately crawley , but fear a play-off place beckons for you.

Am looking forward to this one. As for the game it depends what Southend turns up. If we play how we did against Swindon and Cheltenham away then I'm not too confident but if we play like last week then it should be an entertaining game. As for support I would guess around 500 will make the trip. As mentioned above its another massive game for both sides but then I think most of our games between now and the end of season will be massive as promotion is currently in our hands. I would also prefer you to go up instead of Crawley just to prove money doesnt but success. Best of luck for the season,excluding saturday obviously.

just looked at google maps... ground is a lot further from the station than Gay used to be!

just looked at google maps... ground is a lot further from the station than Gay used to be!
It's almost inevitable with pretty much any new ground that it'll be further out of town, hence further away from the town station, than the old ground was?!?

Yes, new ground is part of an ugly "retail space" ...... but it is close to a park and ride ......... so I think it might be possible to use the bus "in reverse" (if that makes sense .....) - and that could mean a couple of pints in the (lovely) town centre area before travelling to the game - perhaps Oswestry Salop might be able to offer some more accurate information.

As said above - what Southend team will attend? We have a couple (or more) of new players and so optimistic that the flair and freshness that they have brought will continue ..... in which case, the Shrews unbeaten home record looks threatened.

If the Southend team of a couple of weeks ago attends .......... I might suggest a dour 0-0 might be the outcome.

At least Harrold won't be scoring against us in this match ...........

Cheers Shrew.

Your lot have only conceeded 6 goals in 12 home games I see. As well as going unbeaten since March. Very impressive indeed. And puts you up amongst the best in terms of home records.

On the flip side, we have scored 29 goals in 12 away games and have won 9 of those. Bar far the best record in the division.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that something could well give here. I think we will score, but we'll have to see how our somewhat shakey defence (at times) copes with your attacking threat.

I'd like to think we can seriously threaten your super home record. But as has already been mentioned, it depends which side of ours shows up. It's been a bit like that of late unfortunately.

All that said, I'll go for a 1-1 draw. And you know what, I'll take that if offered right now.

It's almost inevitable with pretty much any new ground that it'll be further out of town, hence further away from the town station, than the old ground was?!?

I agree, but since the new stadium is right next to the train line, would it have been worth having an additional dedicated match day station?

Good to see your doing some research Davros. Hope youve got this all written down ;) A fair few of us making the trip on the train and arriving around midday so need a nice boozer for 2 hours before the game. Any suggestions would be great. Need to do grub as well, as ill be starving by then!!

Good to see your doing some research Davros. Hope youve got this all written down ;) A fair few of us making the trip on the train and arriving around midday so need a nice boozer for 2 hours before the game. Any suggestions would be great. Need to do grub as well, as ill be starving by then!!

Depends on whether you want to get near to the ground first or drink & then make your way to the ground. The centre of Shrewsbury has loads of decent ale pubs & some of the better ones are down little side roads. The is a Wetherspoons & a Lloyds No.1 close to each other, but that is slightly away from the direction you want to be heading. That said when I went there a couple of years ago (Shrews vs Aldersh!t - don't ask, its a long story!) I got a cab back from near the ground to said Wetherspoons pub for a fiver!

Near to the ground you have The Brooklands Hotel, which is a decent pub & does meals & pub grub. They laid on food for us last year which was reasonable & not too expensive. Those who went in there will vouch that it is one of the better away pubs you will visit. Rob, who was the landlord of the Brooklands is apparently the landlord of the other pub near the ground, the Charles Darwin. Whether this has had any effect on the pubs I don't know. I haven't been in the Darwin, so cannot comment.

Hope that helps a bit!

Affraid there are no close by TGI's! Sorry!

Great away day is Shrewsbury. Some nice pubs in the town and I just hope for those travelling up that the trains are running from Birmingham New Street. We had to get a replacement bus service through the ***** hole that is Wolverhampton last season.

Great away day is Shrewsbury. Some nice pubs in the town and I just hope for those travelling up that the trains are running from Birmingham New Street. We had to get a replacement bus service through the ***** hole that is Wolverhampton last season.

Can't see anything so should be ok.

Our trains go via Crewe on the way up and Wolverhampton on the way back.

Back