• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
We've had the better of matches against Shrewsbury over the years and we will be looking for our third win and clean sheet in a row at Roots Hall. The last two saw referees' decisions playing a big part with a red card to the Shrews and two penalties to Southend.

Tomorrow's referee is the usually very decent Dean Whitestone from Northampton, in his tenth season as a Football League referee. He is a referee we have seen a lot of at Roots Hall but not much away from home. A goalkeeper in his playing days, he is an officer in the Metropolitan Police.

His last Southend appointment was a first rate performance in the televised match against Oxford in 2013/14. He let the game flow well, no cards, gave us a penalty and we won 3-0 .... what more could you want?

The previous Southend match was the away match back in January of the same season, the first match in our winless run of twelve League matches, when we drew 1-1 at Dagenham. A yellow for Prosser and three of theirs. Having started our winless League run, he did the decent thing and ended it too with that Oxford game.

Before that he was at Roots Hall for the match in 2012/13 when the fans helped clear snow from the pitch and were rewarded with an abject 3-1 home defeat against Wimbledon. He did fine though with, once again, a yellow for Prosser and three of theirs.

Then another excellent performance in the home Cup game against Brentford. Just the one yellow for Woodyard.

Previously, came the game at Shrewsbury in 2011/12, a match which for me, more than any other, cost us promotion. A match that was there for the taking after an early home dismissal. He also cautioned Timlin and Dickinson and their keeper in a strong refereeing performance.

Other matches at Roots Hall include two visits in 2010/11 for the league win against Torquay and the Cup replay with Macclesfield (just 2 and 3 cautions respectively). The season before that saw two visits also. Firstly, the Friday night 0-0 draw with Millwall, when he did pretty well in the face of some uncompromising football from the visitors; he cautioned 5 of theirs and a couple of ours. He also did the home 1-1 draw with Wycombe, cautioning 3 of theirs and one of ours.

Prior to that were in 2008/9 for the opening game win over Peterborough (when three visitors were cautioned) and later that season against Tranmere when we won 2-1 (again three visitors were cautioned). Before that was the 1-0 defeat against Carlisle the previous season in which his performance was probably better than the 8 cautions might imply. His other visit was in 2006/7 when he officiated in the Leicester home draw in which he sent off Richie Foran. Previously to that, in the same season, he was in charge of the away draw at Coventry which I believe he refereed reasonably well.

He had a spell in the "talent group" and gets plenty of Championship appointments. His card count is usually decidedly the right side of average but this season it's a little high by his standards with 22 yellows and 2 reds from 7 games.

Assisting are Geoff Russell from Rushden and Nigel Lugg from Chipstead. Dave Bushell from London is Fourth Official.

Thanks Mick. Hopefully Mr Whitestone will continue his good form tomorrow and the team will take confidence from the Posh game and kick on for another home win..

One of the most inept performances I've seen from a set of officials! I am told that Andy d'Urso was there today, presumably to evaluate the ref's performance......following today he ought to be demoted! Absolutely shocking.

Not good but not shocking. He did worry me at the kick off when he was pedantic about Hunt crossing the half-way line before the ball was kicked, thereafter he fell for the fall, a common trait amongst refs these days,(not helped by the players of course).

Did anyone NOT think that it was a red card in the first half?

Me too. It wasn't a definite goalscoring opportunity. Hunt played the ball more to his right than forward and I don't think it's definite he would have got to it first.

Me too. It wasn't a definite goalscoring opportunity. Hunt played the ball more to his right than forward and I don't think it's definite he would have got to it first.

I agree with you; it's not about being the last man, as some people seem to think, it's whether it denied a goal scoring opportunity.

In this case there was enough doubt to suggest it wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity, therefore a yellow was correct IMO

I agree with you; it's not about being the last man, as some people seem to think, it's whether it denied a goal scoring opportunity.

In this case there was enough doubt to suggest it wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity, therefore a yellow was correct IMO
no way was it a red card, the ball wasn't going towards goal and it was just in the oppositions half , not a goal scoring opportunity

I didn't think it was a foul.....

With an almost perfect view, Hunt flicked the ball over him and then swerved into him. I wasn't cross at the lack of the red card, I was cross with Hunt because he was looking for a red card when he would have got a decent goal scoring chance.

One of the most inept performances I've seen from a set of officials! I am told that Andy d'Urso was there today, presumably to evaluate the ref's performance......following today he ought to be demoted! Absolutely shocking.

In your world EVERY ref we have is inept, not up to it, useless or whatever.....

If penalising Southend players for poor tackling and petty offences makes him inept, so be it. He didn't penalise Shrewsbury in the same manner, because they didn't make as many poor tackles or petty offences. Yes, it was infuriating, but hardly his fault.

He was average. No worse than that.

Anyone who DID think that should have been a red card clearly has no understanding of the issues to be considered by a referee in such circumstances preferring instead to fall back on pundit speak and "last man" nonsense.

"Referees should consider the following circumstances when deciding whether
to send off a player for denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity:
• the distance between the offence and the goal
• the likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
• the direction of the play
• the location and number of defenders
• the offence which denies an opponent an obvious goalscoring opportunity
may be an offence that incurs a direct free kick or an indirect free kick"

He was a long way from goal, didn't have control of the ball at the time having flicked it over the defender and not in the direction of the goal.

So at least two, possibly three reasons not to dismiss.

I didn't think it was a foul.....

With an almost perfect view, Hunt flicked the ball over him and then swerved into him. I wasn't cross at the lack of the red card, I was cross with Hunt because he was looking for a red card when he would have got a decent goal scoring chance.

Fully agree with that - as did others from our viewpoint.

he was not great, but better than some we have had, should have given the red card thou

If it had been Thierry Henry or Lionel Messi that would have been a goal scoring opportunity. It was 45 yards from goal. No red.

Back