• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The one frustration I did have was with referee's apparent inconsistency with the good old-fashioned "shoulder charge" (as far as I am aware, it is still a legal challenge). Worrall goes shoulder-to-shoulder with Shrewsbury player, uses strength (yes, it surprised me too!) = free kick. Minutes later, Shrewsbury player completely wipes out Mooney chasing a through ball. Exactly the same challenge = play on! Minor quibble maybe but it was frustrating...

The one frustration I did have was with referee's apparent inconsistency with the good old-fashioned "shoulder charge" (as far as I am aware, it is still a legal challenge). Worrall goes shoulder-to-shoulder with Shrewsbury player, uses strength (yes, it surprised me too!) = free kick. Minutes later, Shrewsbury player completely wipes out Mooney chasing a through ball. Exactly the same challenge = play on! Minor quibble maybe but it was frustrating...

This is how I saw it too, very very inconsistent

This is how I saw it too, very very inconsistent
I was just talking to someone who didn't make the game on saturday and said to him that I didn't think the ref was the worse I've seen but the inconsistency was appalling, particularly the shoulder charging as previously mentioned.

Assisting are Geoff Russell from Rushden and Nigel Lugg from Chipstead. Dave Bushell from London is Fourth Official.

Any idea if Mr Bushell is from East London Mick? He looked very familiar, pretty sure he refereed my boy last year. He spent most of the match smiling and nodding at Mellon who was claiming that the ref had called nigh on every free kick wrong, even the ones in his favour.....

Any idea if Mr Bushell is from East London Mick? He looked very familiar, pretty sure he refereed my boy last year. He spent most of the match smiling and nodding at Mellon who was claiming that the ref had called nigh on every free kick wrong, even the ones in his favour.....

I would imagine he's from East London, as he's been used as a local official for early inspections at Orient. I've seen him referee non-league loads of times and he appears a polite and amiable gentleman who seems to enjoy his officiating.

I was just talking to someone who didn't make the game on saturday and said to him that I didn't think the ref was the worse I've seen but the inconsistency was appalling, particularly the shoulder charging as previously mentioned.

Of course he wasn't the worst by a long way. He clearly was trying to give the game every chance to flow and wasn't going to give a free-kick every time someone went to ground. He could possibly have given another half dozen or so free-kicks to each team but that wouldn't have made it a better game. A "shoulder charge" when viewed from 3 directions could like like a foul by player A, a foul by player B or no foul. Most people in the ground are at least 50 yards away from most incidents. There were plenty of people round me shouting abuse at him for giving perfectly correct decisions.

Shrewsbury were stronger and faster to the ball pretty much all over the park and deservedly won, not because of the referee but because we played as badly as we'd played well the previous week.

Frustrates the hell out of me listening to supporters that don't know the LOTG. "The rule is this..the rule is that..the ref doesn't know he's doing"...:facepalm:

Not true at all, I think I've been pretty complimentary of most of the refs I've seen so far this season.

Really? You remind me of the guy behind who me who sees every tackle by the opposition as a foul and every foul committed by us as a dive by the opposition.

If you consider you comments on the officials from the the match reports below as complimentary I hate to see what you say when they think they are bad!!!!

From Peterborough

Ref:

Was **** at Wembley, was **** today!

And from Coventry
Officials:
The lino to our left was appalling, couldn't see things going on right under his nose, poor Adam was practically strangled and the foul was given the wrong way. The officials managed to miss several blatant hand balls and the ref was also overly fussy and too quick with the yellows. Felt a few more could have gone Coventry's way.

From Swindon

Officials:
The ref is one who always irritates me, when are we going to get some consistency and someone to clamp down on time wasting?

And finally from Walsall

Officials - so frustrating. You have to clamp down on time wasting and kicking the ball away and this one let loads go. Anyone know if Wordsworth was actually offside for the goal?

Really? You remind me of the guy behind who me who sees every tackle by the opposition as a foul and every foul committed by us as a dive by the opposition.

If you consider you comments on the officials from the the match reports below as complimentary I hate to see what you say when they think they are bad!!!!

From Peterborough

Ref:

And from Coventry
Officials:
The lino to our left was appalling, couldn't see things going on right under his nose, poor Adam was practically strangled and the foul was given the wrong way. The officials managed to miss several blatant hand balls and the ref was also overly fussy and too quick with the yellows. Felt a few more could have gone Coventry's way.

From Swindon

Officials:
The ref is one who always irritates me, when are we going to get some consistency and someone to clamp down on time wasting?

And finally from Walsall

Officials - so frustrating. You have to clamp down on time wasting and kicking the ball away and this one let loads go. Anyone know if Wordsworth was actually offside for the goal?

OBL ... So busted lol

OBL ... So busted lol

Oh well there you go, it's amazing how people have the time to seek stuff out to prove people wrong! I honestly thought I'd been less judgemental this season, lol!

I do think a lot of it is to do with where you sit. Perspective obviously has a lot to do with your view. Like I said, I just want some consistency, Saturday's one seemed very one sided, others sitting around me felt the same, which is why I say a lot of it must be to do with your perspective.

From Peterborough

Ref:

And from Coventry
Officials:

From Swindon

Officials:

And finally from Walsall

Excellent research or record keeping. This has made my day

Oh well there you go, it's amazing how people have the time to seek stuff out to prove people wrong! I honestly thought I'd been less judgemental this season, lol!

I do think a lot of it is to do with where you sit. Perspective obviously has a lot to do with your view. Like I said, I just want some consistency, Saturday's one seemed very one sided, others sitting around me felt the same, which is why I say a lot of it must be to do with your perspective.

It did not take that long to look through 4 match reports and it was not personal (I generally enjoy your match report). You just happened to have picked on a particular bugbear of mine which is to balme everything on the referee. He may well have been inconsitent on Saturday but if he was it was nothing compared to the inconsistency shown by our players compared to the previous game.

The worst performances on Saturday were not by the men in black (or whatever colour they wear these day) but by the guys in blue.....and that is why we lost

Back