• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Shrimperzone is it being abused

Any one who wants to earn their living by performing for the public on the stage, on a sports field, as a politician or anywhere in the media has to accept that public criticism or heckling is part and parcel of the situation. Abuse or harassment is of course completely unacceptable and potentially illegal. Social media allows people to hide behind aliases.
Gone are the good old days when you had to write to the Standard or Echo to express your views - name and address supplied and no hiding.

My first recollection as a child of the crowd going over the top was when in the early 60s, team changes were being announced over the tannoy and the name Jim Fryatt was booed by a large percentage of the crowd. He off course went on to score against us on numerous occasions in the rest of his career.

Paul Clark commented yesterday that Charlie had been getting some stick and had been dropped and that when he came on it was his opportunity to show the doubters that they were wrong.

Some youngsters will thrive - many more will fall by the wayside. I’m not convinced that keeping so many cosseted in Under 23 football is good for them and football long term.

Unfortunately home grown local players seem to have so much more to live up to. Gary Nelson I recall got an awful lot of stick when he got his chance here - he ended up having an outstanding career after he moved on . Some of it I think is down to jealousy and resentment.

Who could possibly resent an ex-Southend HS Grammar School boy? :Winking:

Any one who wants to earn their living by performing for the public on the stage, on a sports field, as a politician or anywhere in the media has to accept that public criticism or heckling is part and parcel of the situation. Abuse or harassment is of course completely unacceptable and potentially illegal. Social media allows people to hide behind aliases.
Gone are the good old days when you had to write to the Standard or Echo to express your views - name and address supplied and no hiding.

My first recollection as a child of the crowd going over the top was when in the early 60s, team changes were being announced over the tannoy and the name Jim Fryatt was booed by a large percentage of the crowd. He off course went on to score against us on numerous occasions in the rest of his career.

Paul Clark commented yesterday that Charlie had been getting some stick and had been dropped and that when he came on it was his opportunity to show the doubters that they were wrong.

Some youngsters will thrive - many more will fall by the wayside. I’m not convinced that keeping so many cosseted in Under 23 football is good for them and football long term.

Unfortunately home grown local players seem to have so much more to live up to. Gary Nelson I recall got an awful lot of stick when he got his chance here - he ended up having an outstanding career after he moved on . Some of it I think is down to jealousy and resentment.

He didn't though. He was awful. Not sure if he wants out, is overweight or just fed up with losing but he doesn't seem to be interested in playing for us

He didn't though. He was awful. Not sure if he wants out, is overweight or just fed up with losing but he doesn't seem to be interested in playing for us

Personally, I go with the theory that his head's been turned by that offer from Swansea. Presumably,we're holding out for more money.

(Ha! Finally got it right).

I've always found Shrimperzone a compelling fans site and one that is superbly run. It is also much-needed at the moment.

To give you an example, the start of a trip home after a home defeat (sadly the norm these days) is horrible but I know that as soon as I get on the train there will be a buffer with so many others sharing their frustration, anger, sadness. Admittedly some comments make me frustrated, angry and sad but ultimately we all want the same thing.

It's also a fascinating insight into the mentality of a Southend fan and how it evolves over seasons and years.

You cant possibly come on here after the last three years and expect positivity.

Social media abuse is sadly just part of the keyboard warrior world we live in.

As alluded to by others, if you cant take criticism and turn it around to your advantage then any job in the public eye is not for you. Case in point Kev Maher who was subjected to vile abuse for a long time.

The age thing doesnt wash with me anymore either, kyle taylor was probably the best player yesterday and he's only 21. Its not about age, its about skill and commitment and a manager who knows when to get the hair dryer out, or put an arm round the shoulder.

The young players were lauded last year not because of their skills, but by how much they showed some passion unlike the rest of the squad, unfortunately this seems to have disappeared. Yes they are too young and not really good enough, but if there was ever a time to step up to the plate its now, or they must go, the clubs survival is far more important.

Shrimperzone has just the right balance of people expressing concern without going too far over the top.

They should think themselves lucky they havent got 7000 fans hurling live abuse at them tbh.

For most of us, we just want to see them try their best, and when they dont its a double slap in the face to paying, loyal fans.

Personally, I go with the theory that his head's been turned by that offer from Swansea. Presumably,we're holding out for more money.

(Ha! Finally got it right).

Yes, might be also that Humphrys got his move which meant, at that time, we weren't going to let Charlie go too unless the offer was high enough.

If the players are sh**; the players are sh**.
It's not the end of the World.
The End of the World is just a new beginning.

Blackpool fan here, I hope you don't mind me commenting.

Venting your frustration when things aren't going well is part of the football fan's DNA. Many of us are quite bi-polar in our approach to our club ; the highs associated with winning are usually a bit manic, and the lows are nearly always laced with hysteria. There is nothing very logical about it, and it all stems from passion. We are like this because we care, and probably care too much.

I have been visiting this site intermittently since we won at your place last August. Given what has happened, and is happening, and the existential threat that your club faces, I think that you are amazingly measured (generally) in the way that you are reacting to the situation.

Our main site is Another View From The Tower. I'd say there is more bleating going on there today than I am seeing in here, and with infinitely less reason. So I think the OP is quite wrong ; and seems unable to distinguish between criticism and abuse.

I'd like to finish by wishing you luck. I have a feeling that third bottom will be an achievement this season - if you can do that by finishing above Bolton and Tranmere I would be delighted.

Blackpool fan here, I hope you don't mind me commenting.

Venting your frustration when things aren't going well is part of the football fan's DNA. Many of us are quite bi-polar in our approach to our club ; the highs associated with winning are usually a bit manic, and the lows are nearly always laced with hysteria. There is nothing very logical about it, and it all stems from passion. We are like this because we care, and probably care too much.

I have been visiting this site intermittently since we won at your place last August. Given what has happened, and is happening, and the existential threat that your club faces, I think that you are amazingly measured (generally) in the way that you are reacting to the situation.

Our main site is Another View From The Tower. I'd say there is more bleating going on there today than I am seeing in here, and with infinitely less reason. So I think the OP is quite wrong ; and seems unable to distinguish between criticism and abuse.

I'd like to finish by wishing you luck. I have a feeling that third bottom will be an achievement this season - if you can do that by finishing above Bolton and Tranmere I would be delighted.
Thanks for the post @basilrobbie , and your cheque will be in the post Monday morning (probably) :Winking:

The club has been put into a situation where thy have to use these young men ,partly by bad management and partly by the covid and current restrictions .Patience is whats needed from the supporters now , yes its been 2 absolutely shocking seasons and looks at present as if it will be a third season
.We have had asuccession of not the best managers ,i dont put too much blame on CP or SM ,but Bond was dire.Sol had the lads playing some decent football until the season was cancelled ,his undoing was not keeping in touch with the players after .CP wasrestricted by injuries worst season we ever had for injuries , Bond was just utter useless a very bad signing by RM.

Perhaps a suggestion to mods is to define 'abuse'?
Semantics perhaps, but in my mind there's a world of difference between abuse and criticism.
Am going to say it for maybe the 10th time, the age thing is a get-out clause.
Why mention it?
When Kelman, Elvis et al were playing well, it seemed to fade into the background.
However, personal attacks and maybe references to family - that sort of thing - should get the delete button every time.

I don't look at many posts on here after a defeat as I know what to expect. I can't understand why people write the things they do it as doesn't help anything or anybody, not even themselves I'm sure. I think they enjoy being a troll without any accountability, would they post the same if it was under their own name? An idea to give a try, anybody who posts must give their true name (I doubt if they had the guts though) for a month or even a week and see what happens. Be brave and accountable for your words and deeds if you can.

Back