• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
I know that there is Sweet FA to talk about so specualtion about transfers is keeping us all going.But come on some of the names banded round are just daft.

We are Southend United - Favourites for the drop playing infront of 8,000 people a week and paying probably 2,000 a week.

Anyone that has played regularly in the Premiership such as the following ,Forsell,Chris Sutton,Chris Perry,Jay Boothroyd,Teddy Sheringham, Ray Parlour are not going to want to come to Southend for the above are they. They can no doubt go to the Wolves, Sunderlands and Brums of this league.

Short of Mike Marsh when have we ever brought in a premier player full time who wasn't on his last legs?

Realisitcally we are going to be looking for players that are the league below but a bit good for that level, untested prem kids or long terms loans - Or maybe a raid on last seasons relagated clubs.

So come on lads - Get real hey.

down.gif

I agree, our best hope is of securing players on a season loan or situations where their exisiting clubs pay up part of their outstanding contracts which allows us to get away with paying them the lower wages. I think this is what happened in the case of Goater and Bradbury.

A 'name' who is local who I often see at the school gates is Rob Lee, pushing 40, but could he bring experience and put his foot on the ball?

He can't of been earning a fortune at Wycombe.

Lee Barnard and Johnnie Jackson at Spurs would be two good loan signing's in my opinion.

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prodigal Son @ June 02 2006,09:25)]I agree, our best hope is of securing players on a season loan or situations where their exisiting clubs pay up part of their outstanding contracts which allows us to get away with paying them the lower wages. I think this is what happened in the case of Goater and Bradbury.

A 'name' who is local who I often see at the school gates is Rob Lee, pushing 40, but could he bring experience and put his foot on the ball?

Would question our ambition a bit if we sign a bloke close to 40 from a team two divisions below us.
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ June 02 2006,09:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prodigal Son @ June 02 2006,09:25)]I agree, our best hope is of securing players on a season loan or situations where their exisiting clubs pay up part of their outstanding contracts which allows us to get away with paying them the lower wages. I think this is what happened in the case of Goater and Bradbury.

Would question our ambition a bit if we sign a bloke close to 40 from a team two divisions below us.  
sad.gif
Again I agree, but as time moves on I could see one or two experienced old boys joining.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ June 02 2006,09:28)]
[b said:

sad.gif
I can put my foot on the ball - it is the kicking and running that causes me the problems. Mind you I am 41 and was in my prime 12 months ago!

If all our signings were old and getting a bit long in the tooth then I would say it lacked ambition but getting one or two older, experienced players in to help out might not be a bad idea.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ June 02 2006,09:58)]If all our signings were old and getting a bit long in the tooth then I would say it lacked ambition but getting one or two older, experienced players in to help out might not be a bad idea.
If we were to bring in for example Kevin Campbell now ( Not that we could afford him) then I would say fair call.

However I cant really agree with going for players from lower leagues that are past their prime.

I agree 100% there - any old 'experienced' player we get in must have experience at this level or higher - there's no point bringing in old pros who have never experience footy at this level.

Shaun Bartlett, just released from Charlton, would be a decent signing. He's never been quite good enough for the Prem, but he's a big unit and he can put them away. I'd see him as the perfect foil for Freddy. He can't have been on a fortune at Charlton

All depends on his demands though. In our favour, I can't see many Prem/Cham teams chomping at the bit. Maybe he'll fancy the regular football?

Dean Marney, Spurs right back - he would be perfect for Southend & an realist signing as well. He play at right back & right wing, 5 x better than Jupp.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Murkey_Mouse @ June 02 2006,10:22)]Dean Marney, Spurs right back - he would be perfect for Southend & an realist signing as well.  He play at right back & right wing, 5 x better than Jupp.
And hopefully 50 times better than his brother was
ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ June 02 2006,10:13)]Shaun Bartlett, just released from Charlton, would be a decent signing. He's never been quite good enough for the Prem, but he's a big unit and he can put them away.
Oddly, I'd always thought he wasn't that big... maybe I only ever saw him alongside Hreidarsson...

oops.gif

Still, at 6'1" and 12st 4lbs, that makes him not dissimilarly sized to our Fred, doesn't it...?

rock.gif

As Smiffy says, the Kaiser Chiefs have come in for him, and he's always said he wanted to finish his career back home in S.A...

Matt

Damn. There goes that idea then!

What about Geoff Horsfield or Malky McKay? Whoever signs them always ends up in the play-offs!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ June 02 2006,10:25)]Malky McKay
Malky would be a great shout but ageing centre-halves are one area we don't really need to strengthen!!!

I'm not bothered about his football, it's his mythical power to always be in the play-offs that attracts me! Can we just sign him and make him our mascot?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ June 02 2006,10:25)]Damn. There goes that idea then!

What about Geoff Horsfield or Malky McKay? Whoever signs them always ends up in the play-offs!
Big fan of Horsfield, but alas he'd surely want wedge that was well beyond our budget...

rock.gif

Lee Johnson ex-Yeovil now with Hearts has I am lead to believe been told he can leave them on a free.

Always thought he was a decent player and should be within our wages structure.

glare.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ June 02 2006,11:01)]Lee Johnson ex-Yeovil now with Hearts has I am lead to believe been told he can leave them on a free.

Always thought he was a decent player and should be within our wages structure.

glare.gif
I mentioned this weeks ago (although as a possible season-long loan). I didn't realise they were looking to offload him.

Would do us very well (although what's the odds he ends up back with his old man at Ashton Gate?)

Back