• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Simon Cox

Increase in wages , big newish stadium , professionally run outfit , hot water and decent training facilities - I know where I’d want to spend the last 2 years of my career

Think too many people forget what he did for us before this season. Last season he was head and shoulders above everyone else in the team and if it wasn’t for his performances we would have been relegated and would probably be bottom of League 2 by now. There were many games last season where we were all singing his virtues!!!

A quality player, who deservedly got in the Echo team of the decade.

Clearly things unravelled this season and we will never know the full story...this move is good for him and the club and allows everyone to move on.

I wish him all the best for the future.

the latest tweet from his new club says that they tried to get him in the summer, perhaps this sheds some light on his "injury" in pre-season

Last quality player we will see for some time in a Southend shirt .Clearly a season too far in the current downward climate.However will remember him in the same way as players like Firmani and Clayton who were a pleasure to watch and the standout players of their time with us.

I wore Eddie Claytons shirt while taking part in a penalty prize competition at the hall, I was 12 so you can imagine how big it was. All the others wanted Billy Bests or Chico's but I had my heart set on Eddies. We had to give them back after the competition. I came third. I've got the programme somewhere?

Very sorry to see Coxy go, but I think it is the Rightmove for him and for us, and being honest, he probably should have left in the summer.

It was plain for all to see that he was the talent, the brains and the enthusiast in the team, particularly when we were doing well, and even last season when the wheels started falling off. This season has degenerated into farcical on and off the pitch, and my guess is that much of the disruptive influence that has been alluded to has come from sheer frustration on Cox's part, particularly if he has seen things aren't happening as they ought to. He has probably been lucky enough throughout his career to be in successful sides, and he has carried a lot of influence off the pitch as well, because of his intelligence as a footballer and an individual. But he also has a history of falling out with people, and throughout this season he has looked more and more as though he was at the end of the road, and he looked like a defeated man.

Right for him to move on now, and want to wish him every success. His new club in Oz will give him the challenges he wants no doubt.

They’re “guesswork” based on testimony from two separate sources. Both of which, pair up. No I won’t name names, and no I won’t elaborate further.

You haven’t got to be Poirot to work out that he’s a drain on funds though. He was one of our top earners, and he hadn’t been anywhere near the first team in a few games .

He wasn’t going to play for this club again.

I’d call that a drain on wages, but by all means, you don’t have to concur.

As for the rest, well, it’s all there for you to see.

You’re entitled to your beliefs, sure. Ignore my musings altogether. No big deal. I won’t lose any sleep over it.

Sure , he was one of the higher paid players, but had been virtually ever-present for 3 seasons, was top scorer in that time, POTY last season and certainly in those 3 seasons hardly a 'drain on funds.' Some people have short memories.
For whatever reason he'd been out of favour in recent months, saw that it was time to move on and has now done so, agreeing with the club to cancel his contract. If he was a 'drain on funds' he could easily have sat here and just collected his wages -assuming RM would pay him.

I was wondering about the UK links, but Markus Babbel (Western Australia manager) said they wanted Cox in the summer but couldnt get him. SO maybe they came back in and that made his mind up. Just speculating based on his comments

Also depend on Cox's personal circumstances as well. He did split with his GF, and they seemingly got back together again. Just wondering what part that plays in such a radical move?

I can understand Simon being upset if the club failed to release him in the summer so he could move to Australia.

He signed the contract though. he would still have wanted paying if he had broke a leg against Sunderland.

He would of stayed with us this season but was highly frustrated with KB's lack of leadership and direction , he simply wasn;t up to the challenge - he enjoyed the spell with Waddock in charge and felt he could of turned the corner - Sol was the final straw and in his exit interview he was asked what the players thought of SC, that to me is the biggest worry that the Chairman is already perhaps starting to question the attitude of his latest appointment.

He would of stayed with us this season but was highly frustrated with KB's lack of leadership and direction , he simply wasn;t up to the challenge - he enjoyed the spell with Waddock in charge and felt he could of turned the corner - Sol was the final straw and in his exit interview he was asked what the players thought of SC, that to me is the biggest worry that the Chairman is already perhaps starting to question the attitude of his latest appointment.

Heard from the family of another player that during Waddock's tenure Cox acted like he was the boss. While the rest of the team was calling Waddock "Gaffer" Cox was calling him "Gaz". You can understand why he'd have liked that period and probably didn't like when Sol came in and he lost his influence.

I can understand Simon being upset if the club failed to release him in the summer so he could move to Australia.

He signed the contract though. he would still have wanted paying if he had broke a leg against Sunderland.

Then again I did everything I could to get out of my contract when I moved jobs!

Heard from the family of another player that during Waddock's tenure Cox acted like he was the boss. While the rest of the team was calling Waddock "Gaffer" Cox was calling him "Gaz". You can understand why he'd have liked that period and probably didn't like when Sol came in and he lost his influence.
Nail on the head there, Sol stamping his authority is good news. Way too much disrespect from a handful of people on here towards Sol.

At least some people will finally stop believing this ludicrous story that he was injured for the entire pre season only to make the squad against Coventry. Truth is he didn't get what he wanted out of the club in the summer so he was eyeing up his options. A move to Australia doesn't just happen overnight.

FWIW, I always thought he was a class act on the pitch in the first 3 years. You could see he was technically a level above at the time and would spot things others wouldn't. Someone else has aluded to it as well, but there were times last season where it looked like he was the only one giving his absolute all out there. I won't knock him for them 3 years.

This season however has been a complete disaster. Clearly didn't wanna be here and it showed. Not afraid to speak his mind and this has had a terrible effect on the squad. Sol stamping a bit of authority on the squad and him not really playing in that time tells you all you need to know.

Thanks for the 3 years. Some really enjoyable moments in there. But the time is spot on for him to leave.

Back