• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Simon Cox

As others have said, thanks for the past SC, but it was obvious to all that you did not want to be here anymore. As with Eriksen at the Spuds when decent players switch off, it stands out a country mile. Best we start a fresh all round next campaign, love us to find another Barry Corr or a Drewe Broughton miss that type of striker.

Couldn’t agree more, Martin’s desire to have big names linked to this club, has proven to be unsuccessful on more than one occasion.

Aside from that, the rest doesn’t really add up to much.

Yeah, we’re still **** under Sol. But then I wasn’t expecting anything else - at least not until Sol has had time to change the squad significantly.

They are the cause of this mess, that we’re in.

Do you disagree with that?
I agree with that, of course the players have got us where we are, stranded in the relegation zone with no apparent way out. Time will tell if Campbell is up to the task of rebuilding the squad. I am sceptical, but would be delighted to be proved wrong.

For those who have said he's had a rubbish season, I don't disagree, he has had a rubbish season compared to what we're to. However, I'd still take a ageing Cox over Humphry's any day of the week, such an overrated player it's ridiculous!!!!!!!.

The thing I don't understand, if Cox has been such a pain, why have we continued to offer him a new contract. Why not get rid when he was out of contract, seems a bit strange.

Yes he has actually. We are further adrift now than when he took over.
If you're 5 points behind after 10 matches (i.e. 0.5 points behind per match) then you haven't got worse if you're 10 points behind after 20 matches, the net loss is still -0.5 points per match so you haven't got worse even though you're further adrift.

Points per match is a much better metric, it was 0.36 ppg before Sol took over (I'm counting the Doncaster loss in that since Sol was in the stands) and after Sol took over it's 0.46 ppg, still terrible but it's a slight improvement.

Good servant. Hard worker. Legs are on their way out though. This is the best solution and allows us to get another big earner off of the wage bill.

Good luck down under

If you're 5 points behind after 10 matches (i.e. 0.5 points behind per match) then you haven't got worse if you're 10 points behind after 20 matches, the net loss is still -0.5 points per match so you haven't got worse even though you're further adrift.

Points per match is a much better metric, it was 0.36 ppg before Sol took over (I'm counting the Doncaster loss in that since Sol was in the stands) and after Sol took over it's 0.46 ppg, still terrible but it's a slight improvement.
The gap between us and fourth from bottom has increased since Campbell took over, thus we are worse off than before. Also current form shows us bottom of the table over last six games. We might be very slightly better than pre Campbell but the fact remains we are losing ground week by week.

One of the most gifted players we’ve had in recent times. Deservedly in the Southend team of the decade!

Sad to see him go, but I guess now is a good time for him to depart.

Good luck to him, hope he finds happiness down under.

It'll be good to see how & where he settles in.

Guessing Milligan has given him a few "top tips" about manners, protocol, drinking and the "Aussie ways"...:Highfive:

It'll be good to see how & where he settles in.

Guessing Milligan has given him a few "top tips" about manners, protocol, drinking and the "Aussie ways"...:Highfive:

Don't pocket the team whip should be the first one.....Especially if its the Chairman's money.

Reading all the above posts with interest. Campbell has some b*lls, clearly .. Powell and Bond did not.

I honestly don't think this is how Simon Cox wanted to be remembered and will have a few regrets .... quoting his Insta post from 31st Dec ..
"My promise to myself for the next 10 years is to be a better person and make sure I stay true to myself."

Let's hope you do just that, Simon. My son saw you as a role model .. I'll remember the goals and celebration vs Portsmouth, not the other nonsense I've heard which really don't paint you in a great light. All the best, no.10.

One of the most gifted players we’ve had in recent times. Deservedly in the Southend team of the decade!
Sad to see him go, but I guess now is a good time for him to depart.
Good luck to him, hope he finds happiness down under.

sums it up well.

I’ve left it a while to think about this. A bit of me is a little sad to see him go.

When Simon Cox was first announced I thought WOW (not Rob Kiernan), how have we managed to blag that signing. I remember watching him bang them in for Swindon and WBA this lad is class. Then I watched him play for the first two seasons and thought how lucky are we to have a player of this talent. On his day he was incredible! He scored a hat trick which as we know doesn’t seem to be something that happens often for Southend players.

Unfortunately rumours of unrest and a bit of a **** sure attitude have tarnished what could’ve been a player leaving as a true great. I really am disappointed he has left under his recent cloud. I wish him no ill, I think it’s the right time to leave and I would welcome him back as a coach in years to come.

I like to think of the good times we had with Cox. Good Luck in Australia, thank you for the good times.

I think having played at a decent level including International call ups it must be hard for a player to see whats going on at the club, maybe he saw all around him that players were performing below par , not putting an effort in and generally poor quality on the pitch.

Yes he's a pro footballer but there are a lot of factors to someone going from a grafter to not giving a sh11t ( BTW thats me repeating what others have said on here ).

He's no longer a SUFC player so why don;t the posters in the know give clear examples of his so called bad behavior - it doesn;t matter anymore hes not our problem ?

Gave us 3 great seasons and will be fondly remembered by most I suspect. His class on the pitch was evident for the vast, vast, majority of games he played for us. One of my favorite players of the last 10 years or so and I wish him all the best.

Cheers Coxy!

Back