• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Smoking Ban

Only one in East Stand, where one knob lit up. The stewards did nothing, but he was told to put it out by the people around him.

A mate of ours tried to go outside to smoke before the game but he was not allowed to.

No evidence in the bar beforehand either.

Just Smith and Goater sharing a spliff in the East Blues.

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Aug. 12 2005,08:45)]Only one in East Stand, where one knob lit up.
Thats your opinion. Where else can smokers go - As you've pointed out they're not allowed out of the ground, there is no designated smoking area, what else can they do. At the AGM Ron Martin said there would be a solution in place for the start of the season - where is it?

I am a non-smoker by the way.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ Aug. 12 2005,09:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Aug. 12 2005,08:45)]Only one in East Stand, where one knob lit up.
Thats your opinion. Where else can smokers go - As you've pointed out they're not allowed out of the ground, there is no designated smoking area, what else can they do. At the AGM Ron Martin said there would be a solution in place for the start of the season - where is it?

I am a non-smoker by the way.
He can obey the ban and not smoke!

I know what you'll say, and I agree. There should be provisions in place, as was promised, but that still doesn't make it okay to ignore a ban.

People lighting up in the su all through the first half

The ladies loo in the shrimpers was full of smoke and fag ends (apparently)

In the South East corner (by the St Johns there was one area out of view from some stewards which had a few smokers in, the area by the gate had no one there at all (bar a steward) yet the steward was not allowing people to either leave or hang out of the gate.

Apparently the current (and outgoing) Stadium Manager is not flexible on this at all, but a steward told me that the new one may review the issue (Those stewards who smoke have to be in the ground a lot longer than the fans and are keen to raise the issue)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Aug. 12 2005,08:59)]He can obey the ban and not smoke!

I know what you'll say, and I agree. There should be provisions in place, as was promised, but that still doesn't make it okay to ignore a ban.
Granted.

However, given there are no provisions for smokers i feel it a little unjust to call him a knob for that reason alone!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Aug. 12 2005,09:05)]People lighting up in the su all through the first half

The ladies loo in the shrimpers was full of smoke and fag ends (apparently)

In the South East corner (by the St Johns there was one area out of view from some stewards which had a few smokers in, the area by the gate had no one there at all (bar a steward) yet the steward was not allowing people to either leave or hang out of the gate.

Apparently the current (and outgoing) Stadium Manager is not flexible on this at all, but a steward told me that the new one may review the issue (Those stewards who smoke have to be in the ground a lot longer than the fans and are keen to raise the issue)
Unfortunately this is what is going to happen unless the provisions which have been promised actually occur.

I know we're not the first to have a stadium smoking ban, and we're certainly not going to be the first to have people flouting these rules. At stamford bridge for instance, the toilets are full of smokers at half time!

I still dont see why you cant just go for one round the back of the west. What problems does it cause for anyone?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Aug. 12 2005,09:17)]I still dont see why you cant just go for one round the back of the west. What problems does it cause for anyone?
Its a bit of a trek from the East
suspect.gif

Why can't people just go 2 hours without smoking? People manage it on aeroplanes for a lot longer.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ Aug. 12 2005,09:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Aug. 12 2005,09:17)]I still dont see why you cant just go for one round the back of the west. What problems does it cause for anyone?
Its a bit of a trek from the East  
suspect.gif
Yeah.

Thing is though its different in the East because its not as if you can really get out anywhere for one. Unless they have a steward and let you go out the front. Why did they change the rules in the Fae Post??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Aug. 12 2005,10:25)]Why can't people just go 2 hours without smoking? People manage it on aeroplanes for a lot longer.
True, but even if you're flying all the way from Heathrow to Sao Paolo on a 777 with just one engine and an unqualified flight crew, it's still a les stressfull time than watching Southend United play!

tounge.gif

It's not Southend United's fault that smokers have an addiction and can't go more than two hours without a cigarette and i still can't believe that people are critical of the club's decision to ban smoking when quite clearly it's a very positive and encouraging step to take. After all, it seems smokers are now becoming a social minority and the club is just keeping up with popular trends and keeping the majority of their customers happy.
Have one before the game, then watch the football (which is what we all go to Roots Hall for) then have one after the game. If you really can't hold on for three hours without one then really there's a more serious problem that needs sorting.

There is also a stadium regulation about foul language, hardly enforced, for which the comment " If you really can't hold on for three hours without one then really there's a more serious problem that needs sorting." could also apply but funnily you don't hear much in the way of comments about it........

And before anyone mentions health and safety or Bradford again, I am solely referring to the consistant application of the stadium regulations.

I don't smoke, but I think it's a bit harsh of the club to implement a complete ban without providing areas of the stadium for smokers to go - like others I don't see why people can't smoke in the concourse behind the west for instance. I've seen people flout it in the west and until the club does something they're going to continue to do so.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Aug. 12 2005,10:13)]There is also a stadium regulation about foul language, hardly enforced, for which the comment " If you really can't hold on for three hours without one then really there's a more serious problem that needs sorting." could also apply but funnily you don't hear much in the way of comments about it........

And before anyone mentions health and safety or Bradford again, I am solely referring to the consistant application of the stadium regulations.
Yes but foul language will not give you cancer. Passive smoking does.

I know thats an extreme but i thought i would put it up before the point was made.

Saw some fans out the back of the west smoking well away from other fans (kids especially) these fans should be commended, this is the answer let them smoke out the back of the stand west & East, the south stand fans could also go to the south east corner and spark up.

i'm a Non Smoker, but i feel for those addicts hooked on a drug the government make sh it loads of cash out of.

We could also go down the road that drinking alcohol causes just as many problems, especially at football games, yet the club continue to serve beer.

If you go to A&E on a friday/saturday night a lot of those admitted will be drink related, not smoking related.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shoebury Shrimper @ Aug. 12 2005,10:25)]i'm a Non Smoker, but i feel for those addicts hooked on a drug the government make sh it loads of cash out of.
Not if you get them Duty free which im sure everyone does. Or in Serbia for £5 a carton!!
blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shoebury Shrimper @ Aug. 12 2005,10:25)]i'm a Non Smoker, but i feel for those addicts hooked on a drug the government make sh it loads of cash out of.
The government makes no money out of smoking. The tax on tabacco is more than eaten up by the resources in the NHS it consumes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Aug. 12 2005,10:41)]The government makes no money out of smoking. The tax on tabacco is more than eaten up by the resources in the NHS it consumes.
Depends on who you listen to. There is a report that says the other.

Back