• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SO when will the takeover go through?

When will the sale complete?

• Mid/End May

Votes: 85 28.1%
  • June

Votes: 56 18.5%
  • July

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • August

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • September

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • October - December

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Early 2025

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • March - May 2025

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • Never

Votes: 101 33.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are these DD’s really being paid for by Ron Martin? If so, hopefully up front as they won’t come cheap!! Would hate to see problems down the line with information withheld as he hasn’t paid

I think he has been clear this financial DD is one of the DD strands and not the external audit which is separate and will only follow completion of the DD steps.
This unfortunately. There’s a reply on Twitter from Cowan to Shrimpers Talk confirming this. I tried to post a link but my lack of IT skills are letting me down! Maybe someone else can do so.

I dont think this confirms anything as "initial finanical DD" is then replied to with "initial DD"

Very little point in claiming to act in a transparent way if all that happens when he talks is create more confusion
IMG_8043.jpeg

Beware of a council member tell everyone what is happening Rember a chairman who told everyone what's going to happen and it never did Let's hope councilor Dent is doing his best to save the club Let's hope he gets it done and the club can move forward.

Words matter. Unless quoting verbatim or an unambiguous turn of phrase, then it's misquoting. Beyond me what's to be gained from smearing the leader of the council who's been more forthcoming about any of the intricacies of the deal than Cox or Firth ever have been or were.
Agreed re the original poster, we got zero updates from Cox whilst he was in charge, at least we’re getting some now. I feel you’re a little harsh on Firth, she was very vocal before Justin and co arrived on the scene. Having said that, she’s been very quiet recently, even a statement putting pressure on the Martin’s would be welcome.

So this is where |I think we currently are...

1) All parties - at least on paper - say they are committed to the deal going through.

2) Work in and around the club, as far as I am aware, is progressing as if there is nothing wrong and we are getting ready for the new season.

3) All members remain in the consortium; no-one has yet jumped ship.

4) However, there are official reports that COSU won't wait for ever and, although there is no outwardly visible sign of them backing out, I think there are insider views that maybe they won't wait very much longer at all. I think @Tribal Chief said a couple of weeks and he seems to be in touch with at least one COSU member.

5) We are in an adjourned period for the next hearing regarding the WUP. Apparently this is a final hearing. If significant progress has been made since last time and the creditors agree then it won't be final; it's in no-one's interest to wind the club up if there is progress being made and everyone will ultimately get their money. If however no significant progress has been made then, that could well be it.

6) One way around 5) is to persuade Stewarts to withdraw it. However, if another creditor takes carriage of it then that will be a waste of time.

7) Another way around is for Ron to pay. HA! He won't. It's not that he can't; he just won't.

8) The season ticket details can't yet be released as the money will go to a club still owned by Ron and he can do what he likes with it. I'm not sure that, at this stage, there's anything anyone can do about that.

9) COSU could pay it but won't (and rightly, certainly on the face of it) as it relates to historic debt. However, they are also £3.5m deep in, apparently.

10) We have the NL meeting coming up when they can decide whether we can start the season at all or have a points deduction.

The first 3 points are quite positive and then it all looks a bit difficult. However, I'm encouraged (at the moment) by those first 3... however, the minute COSU say "We'll wait for the outcome of the meeting/hearing before doing any more", or if one or two pull out, I think that will be it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240525_204731_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20240525_204731_X.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Agreed re the original poster, we got zero updates from Cox whilst he was in charge, at least we’re getting some now. I feel you’re a little harsh on Firth, she was very vocal before Justin and co arrived on the scene. Having said that, she’s been very quiet recently, even a statement putting pressure on the Martin’s would be welcome.
I guess anna firth is a little busy right now with the general elections just around the corner .If i lived in her catchment area she could count on my vote but sadly i dont .

So this is where |I think we currently are...

1) All parties - at least on paper - say they are committed to the deal going through.

2) Work in and around the club, as far as I am aware, is progressing as if there is nothing wrong and we are getting ready for the new season.

3) All members remain in the consortium; no-one has yet jumped ship.

4) However, there are official reports that COSU won't wait for ever and, although there is no outwardly visible sign of them backing out, I think there are insider views that maybe they won't wait very much longer at all. I think @Tribal Chief said a couple of weeks and he seems to be in touch with at least one COSU member.

5) We are in an adjourned period for the next hearing regarding the WUP. Apparently this is a final hearing. If significant progress has been made since last time and the creditors agree then it won't be final; it's in no-one's interest to wind the club up if there is progress being made and everyone will ultimately get their money. If however no significant progress has been made then, that could well be it.

6) One way around 5) is to persuade Stewarts to withdraw it. However, if another creditor takes carriage of it then that will be a waste of time.

7) Another way around is for Ron to pay. HA! He won't. It's not that he can't; he just won't.

8) The season ticket details can't yet be released as the money will go to a club still owned by Ron and he can do what he likes with it. I'm not sure that, at this stage, there's anything anyone can do about that.

9) COSU could pay it but won't (and rightly, certainly on the face of it) as it relates to historic debt. However, they are also £3.5m deep in, apparently.

10) We have the NL meeting coming up when they can decide whether we can start the season at all or have a points deduction.

The first 3 points are quite positive and then it all looks a bit difficult. However, I'm encouraged (at the moment) by those first 3... however, the minute COSU say "We'll wait for the outcome of the meeting/hearing before doing any more", or if one or two pull out, I think that will be it.
I think you’ve summed it up pretty well. Some significant progress is required to prop up the wavering COSU members.

Beware of a council member tell everyone what is happening Rember a chairman who told everyone what's going to happen and it never did Let's hope councilor Dent is doing his best to save the club Let's hope he gets it done and the club can move forward.
Its councilor Cowan not what i previously said Either way i hope he has Southend united a heart .

I think you’re being a little unfair, Cowan clarified your original quoted point when questioned further. I agree with @crangoner that Cowan’s been far more transparent than Cox ever was. Yes we can nitpick, but he seems more amenable when answering our questions.
I never said he wasn't amenable, I said he wasn't clear. If he was only able to be clear on further questioning then that proves my point. I'm happy he has done so.

Back