• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So who goes and who stays in L2

I can't even begin to speculate over this. There's just too many unknowns. We have no idea how much money players are being paid, what clauses there may be, what the budget would be in League Two or who will request or do their utmost to be released e.g Simon Francis...

What really scares me is if some of these players, like Bishop and Yearwood turn and say relegation will be too detrimental to my progression and do whatever they can to get a move. Last time we were relegated we couldn't even keep hold of Stuart O'Keefe. Although I think his contract was up but he was only 18 at the time, played only a handful of games... Point being relegation isn't an attractive proposition for any player.

I can't even begin to speculate over this. There's just too many unknowns. We have no idea how much money players are being paid, what clauses there may be, what the budget would be in League Two or who will request or do their utmost to be released e.g Simon Francis...

What really scares me is if some of these players, like Bishop and Yearwood turn and say relegation will be too detrimental to my progression and do whatever they can to get a move. Last time we were relegated we couldn't even keep hold of Stuart O'Keefe. Although I think his contract was up but he was only 18 at the time, played only a handful of games... Point being relegation isn't an attractive proposition for any player.

Yes, we will be stuck with the ones we would rather not keep and who nobody else will want.

With a better manager some of the players may find their feet. Let's face it Powell and bond are two of the most defensive inept managers we've had.

I would **** off the entire midfield and most of the centre backs..utter ****e

The first time I’ve ever felt like this, but I genuinely wouldn’t be upset at any single player leaving. The attitude, the lack of guts and fight in this squad is the worst I’ve possibly ever seen from a Southend squad, and that includes some dark days 20 odd years ago.

Acqua hasn’t shown anything that I’ve seen that says there’s potential there for anything more than Ryman League level, it’s almost cruel to put the lad out there.

This would be incredibly harsh, the lad is going to be on one of our lowest contracts anyway. I say keep him.
I agree it would be harsh, however I have only seen him play for that short time before he got injured.

Next season could be make or break for the club, and so there is no place for sentiment unfortunately.

I agree it would be harsh, however I have only seen him play for that short time before he got injured.

Next season could be make or break for the club, and so there is no place for sentiment unfortunately.
Maybe, but there still needs to be an element of duty of care in my opinion. Sam's is a special circumstance, plucked from non-league, leaving job security to become a professional footballer. Showed impressively in his first game before being cruelly struck by a potentially career ending injury. As I said, he won't be on much so I'd definitely keep him, especially as his area is one we've struggled with this season.

Last time we got relegated everyone could walk away because we had breached their contracts by not paying them. Everyone went except Anthony Grant and some of the youngsters.

The first time I’ve ever felt like this, but I genuinely wouldn’t be upset at any single player leaving. The attitude, the lack of guts and fight in this squad is the worst I’ve possibly ever seen from a Southend squad, and that includes some dark days 20 odd years ago.

Dunno Andy think Bobby Moore was the pits for football, maybe a bit before your time but god this is Brazilian football compared to them very dark days:Cool:

GK:
Mark Oxley - Transfer list
Nathan Bishop - Keep
Ted Smith - Keep as number 2 or loan out if Oxley stays

DEF:
Jason Demetriou - Keep
Rob Kiernan - Keep
John White - Keep and offer new deal
Harry Lennon - Keep
Stephen Hendrie - Keep and offer new deal unless on big money
Michael Turner - Release
Ben Coker - Keep, but will probably want to leave if/when we go down
Harry Kyprianou - Keep
Elvis Bwomono - Keep
Taylor Moore - Would love to keep but there was no chance, even less chance now we’re likely to go down
Sam Hart - as above

MID:
Stephen McLaughlin - Keep
Michael Kightly - Transfer list
Dru Yearwood - Keep
Sam Mantom - Transfer list
Timothee Dieng - Transfer list
Luke Hyam - Transfer list
Harry Bunn - Send straight back to Bury
Michael Klass - Keep and offer new deal
Isaac Hutchinson - Keep
Sam Barratt - Keep

FWD:
Simon Cox - Keep
Theo Robinson - Keep
Stephen Humphrys - Keep
Tom Hopper - Keep
Charlie Kelman - Keep
Emile Acquah - Keep

Acqua hasn’t shown anything that I’ve seen that says there’s potential there for anything more than Ryman League level, it’s almost cruel to put the lad out there.

He won more headers on debut than Humphrys and Cox combined on Saturday.

Unfortunately no one from midfield has any 'legs' to support and Cox was to far away. Some of you may have notice the same with Humprhys 50 yds away from Cox when either one of them challenged for a header and our midfield all in their own half. Yet again i never saw Cox talk to his strike partner, yet many on here want him to be captain.

Commendable thoughts to keep the youngsters. They will have gained a lot from this season. However, there needs to be a sensible balance. They are not yet good enough to mount a serious promotion challenge next season.

My guess is that Ron will gamble on getting promotion at the first attempt, assuming of course, we are relegated.

We all know that isn't as easy as it sounds and for that reason, we must make sure the spine of the team has experience. Now, whether that experience will come from the players already here, then I guess we will have to wait and see.

One thing for sure if Ron is going to move players on, then our spend on Agents fees is likely to increase considerably.

He won more headers on debut than Humphrys and Cox combined on Saturday.

Unfortunately no one from midfield has any 'legs' to support and Cox was to far away. Some of you may have notice the same with Humprhys 50 yds away from Cox when either one of them challenged for a header and our midfield all in their own half. Yet again i never saw Cox talk to his strike partner, yet many on here want him to be captain.

This was most apparent in the second half on Saturday when we had a two man(?) break away and they had 8 rushing back to cover it - no one else of ours had crossed the half way line.

Whenever I've seen Dieng this season (admittedly that's only been a few times), he's shown glimpses of being a good player. His assist for Cox's equaliser against Portsmouth, for example, was brilliant. Likewise Mantom has scored six goals, which isn't a bad return for a midfielder. Seems like they're both low on confidence. I think with the right management, there could be more to come from them next season. Whether they're good playing together is another question.

Anyway, they're both under contract so I think we're stuck with them.

Who goes: Bond and Redknapp for starters

I wouldn't be sorry to see them disappear, in our position we need a younger up and coming coach/manager who is used to dealing with players at a lower level. So different to managing and signing million pound players.

Back