• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sobering..

How does RM selling up help SUFC, though ? Aren't the assets are all in his co. names ? The only assets I can see in SUFC are the players registrations and they are intangible (ie could drop like a stone when we go Non League).

Exactly. There is nothing to buy. The club costs money, it doesn't make it.

It will not surprise me in the future to see RM sell the football club plus debts to whoever for a nominal fee. He will then retain ownership of the new ground and charge the new owners of the football club rent, which he will pocket as part of his pension.

It will not surprise me in the future to see RM sell the football club plus debts to whoever for a nominal fee. He will then retain ownership of the new ground and charge the new owners of the football club rent, which he will pocket as part of his pension.

Wouldn't surprise me either. Who would want it, though ? Riddled with debt and an annual rent to use the stadium. He said himself, football clubs don't make money and that income needs to be generated in other ways.

Wouldn't surprise me either. Who would want it, though ? Riddled with debt and an annual rent to use the stadium. He said himself, football clubs don't make money and that income needs to be generated in other ways.
Agreed, and we can only live in hope that whoever does take it on has enough dosh to keep us afloat. The future is certainly not looking the bed of roses we were hoping the new stadium.

.........and of course all those have reasonably successful League clubs.

I think people would have said that about us before the last two years as well.
I can remember all of Reading, Northampton, Luton, Bolton, Bournemouth and Swindon playing in our current division - and several of them being in our position facing an exit. Bournemouth had a miraculous escape, Luton were relegated into non-league before bouncing back, I think Northampton finished 24th but stayed up as the team due to replace them didn't have a good enough ground or something.

Agreed, and we can only live in hope that whoever does take it on has enough dosh to keep us afloat. The future is certainly not looking the bed of roses we were hoping the new stadium.
If someone or an entity could buy the club and the stadium together then there might be a chance of making things work financially. Without the stadium/ land how could the football club even borrow money?

I think people would have said that about us before the last two years as well.
I can remember all of Reading, Northampton, Luton, Bolton, Bournemouth and Swindon playing in our current division - and several of them being in our position facing an exit. Bournemouth had a miraculous escape, Luton were relegated into non-league before bouncing back, I think Northampton finished 24th but stayed up as the team due to replace them didn't have a good enough ground or something.
Yep, Kidderminster. The irony being that their ground was better than Northampton's County Ground, which had a tiny 'main' stand on one side and nothing on the other.

Yep, Kidderminster. The irony being that their ground was better than Northampton's County Ground, which had a tiny 'main' stand on one side and nothing on the other.

A three sided ground rather like Bramall Lane used to be with the football pitch on the cricket outfield.

If someone or an entity could buy the club and the stadium together then there might be a chance of making things work financially. Without the stadium/ land how could the football club even borrow money?
I guess part of the financial plan for the football club would be to continue producing and selling on are own young talent. The NL may hinder that I guess.

Riddled with debt and an annual rent to use the stadium
My recollection of other cases is that separating the ownership of the football club from the stadium tends not to end well. Are there (m)any rich locals who might want to take us over anyway? Maybe the Millers of Adventure Island fame could add us to their portfolio?

More, Chester (as I recall) were refused admission to the EFL because their stadium wasn't up to it - yet Macclesfield were in League 2 (as it is now) but played home games at...Chester!

That would surprise the hell out of me. Don't forget the debt is mostly to him in the form of deferred rent. He's not likely to write that off. Should someone want to buy, I'm sure he'll charge them the full amount (or at least a fair proportion of it).

By doing what the old Rangers chairman did and borrowing against future season ticket sales.

:ROFL:

My recollection of other cases is that separating the ownership of the football club from the stadium tends not to end well. Are there (m)any rich locals who might want to take us over anyway? Maybe the Millers of Adventure Island fame could add us to their portfolio?

I very much doubt it, as it's loss making. The only part that is attractive is the potential for development, and that seems to be firmly in RM's portfolio.

Back