• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sobering..

Am I right in thinking that Ron isn't paying for the stadium build?

Im not sure why he should get it. Especially if he isn't paying for it and is making millions from the property side.

Am I right in thinking that Ron isn't paying for the stadium build?

Im not sure why he should get it. Especially if he isn't paying for it and is making millions from the property side.

I would assume that it'll be money borrowed against the assets, otherwise I think it would have happened by now (ie no need for the backing of Sainsburys, British Land etc)

I thought British land were paying for the 3 sided ground.

I would love for Ron to make his money and allow the fans to run the club and take ownership of the 3 sided ground.

I would love for Ron to make his money and allow the fans to run the club and take ownership of the 3 sided ground.

They maybe...i've lost track now (or he hasn't updated us on this). I agree but it sounds like he wants to own the ground and we rent it from him, though.

British Land are no longer involved. Once Southend council rushed through a cinema on their own Seaway site there was never going to be retail at FF. A cinema is the goose that lays the golden eggs in retail world. Our council read all the privately funded reports on trade effect etc and said thanks we will steal your idea for our mate who we sold the land to for £1.

The reason Ron is still here is your council. Its obvious he would love to have been long gone.

Southend has more London PL team fans than SUFC. Plus 90% of Southend fans are more than happy to blame Ron whilst Sainsburys and your own Council have enjoyed making mugs of us all.

If someone or an entity could buy the club and the stadium together then there might be a chance of making things work financially. Without the stadium/ land how could the football club even borrow money?
But as soon as we start borrowing against the stadium or land we risk loosing it all again!. I can't see us retaining a stadium and land of our own unless the land is put into some kind of trust so it's not exposed to the clubs trading losses.

But as soon as we start borrowing against the stadium or land we risk loosing it all again!. I can't see us retaining a stadium and land of our own unless the land is put into some kind of trust so it's not exposed to the clubs trading losses.

But I don't think the club will own the stadium or the land that it'll sit on, so how can the club borrow against it ?

I very much doubt it, as it's loss making. The only part that is attractive is the potential for development, and that seems to be firmly in RM's portfolio.
I'm definitely no expert in such things, but isn't part of the financial attraction of owning a football club at this level the fact it can be run as a loss making but operable venture far more easily than most 'normal' companies. So that its losses can be offset against other company gains within a business persons multi company portfolio. IE, when RM moves his money around with loans and charge backs to the club and between his different companies.

I'm definitely no expert in such things, but isn't part of the financial attraction of owning a football club at this level the fact it can be run as a loss making but operable venture far more easily than most 'normal' companies. So that its losses can be offset against other company gains within a business persons multi company portfolio. IE, when RM moves his money around with loans and charge backs to the club and between his different companies.

Probably, yes. But that doesn't help SUFC.

Probably, yes. But that doesn't help SUFC.
No it doesn't, youre unfortunately very right. Probably it just makes it worse.... if ever new owners are looking to take a club. Maybe they see it as a 'legal' way of laundering losses. Only a true fan/owner properly has the clubs future at heart

Exactly what Robbie Cowling does, Colchester United are part of his business empire and appear to have huge debts, but its all smoke and mirrors! Robbie has 27 active directorships......

Last edited:
No it doesn't, youre unfortunately very right. Probably it just makes it worse.... if ever new owners are looking to take a club. Maybe they see it as a 'legal' way of laundering losses. Only a true fan/owner properly has the clubs future at heart

Yes, or a collective membership of fans...like Barcelona FC ?

I'm definitely no expert in such things, but isn't part of the financial attraction of owning a football club at this level the fact it can be run as a loss making but operable venture far more easily than most 'normal' companies. So that its loses can be offset against other company gains within a business persons multi company portfolio. IE, when RM moves his money around with loans and charge backs to the club and between his different companies.

Yes, I guess this is the only way it can work. It's why supporters groups struggle to run clubs because they can't subsume losses elsewhere. Unless they also own the land/ stadium/ training ground and then you have assets. Success on the pitch leading to higher crowds/ player sales/ increased TV rights/ sponsorship etc would also bring in more revenue. None of this is good news for Southend.

British Land are no longer involved. Once Southend council rushed through a cinema on their own Seaway site there was never going to be retail at FF. A cinema is the goose that lays the golden eggs in retail world. Our council read all the privately funded reports on trade effect etc and said thanks we will steal your idea for our mate who we sold the land to for £1.

The reason Ron is still here is your council. Its obvious he would love to have been long gone.

Southend has more London PL team fans than SUFC. Plus 90% of Southend fans are more than happy to blame Ron whilst Sainsburys and your own Council have enjoyed making mugs of us all.

Yes, how dare sainsburys not want to help out a little football club and change their business model.

As for the council. SBC have been woeful for years. Way before SUFC sought to move.

You only have to look at the mess they have made of the town by allowing old to be replaced by high-rise abominations.

Ron Martin claims to be a property developer. Does he develop any property?

He is a club owner lock stock and barrel. He has made it that way by being far too stubborn to work alongside external investors or consider selling.

He has always had his eye on the end goal of making millions from day one. I don't necessarily have a problem with that, but roots hall has been left to rack and ruin, whilst the bills, playing staff and league status has suffered.

He is a chairman of a professional football club with a healthy support. He has a responsibility to do what's best for the clubs current and future status. On that matter, he has grossly failed.

Yes, how dare sainsburys not want to help out a little football club and change their business model.

As for the council. SBC have been woeful for years. Way before SUFC sought to move.

You only have to look at the mess they have made of the town by allowing old to be replaced by high-rise abominations.

Ron Martin claims to be a property developer. Does he develop any property?

He is a club owner lock stock and barrel. He has made it that way by being far too stubborn to work alongside external investors or consider selling.

He has always had his eye on the end goal of making millions from day one. I don't necessarily have a problem with that, but roots hall has been left to rack and ruin, whilst the bills, playing staff and league status has suffered.

He is a chairman of a professional football club with a healthy support. He has a responsibility to do what's best for the clubs current and future status. On that matter, he has grossly failed.

Well the role of a property developer a lot of the time doesn't actually involve building the property. I'm led to believe our Ron does a lot of what we call in the trade land banking. Buy a piece of land, obtain planning permission then sell it on to a builder or developer for a tidy profit who will in turn complete the build. Depending on the plot size this can be very profitable.

Well the role of a property developer a lot of the time doesn't actually involve building the property. I'm led to believe our Ron does a lot of what we call in the trade land banking. Buy a piece of land, obtain planning permission then sell it on to a builder or developer for a tidy profit who will in turn complete the build. Depending on the plot size this can be very profitable.

OK. Excellent. Well. If his company accounts are anything to go by, then he is God awful at that too.

Surely the last few years have quite literally been utopia for any property developer worth anything would have made a killing.

Ron was offered the prospects site as first refusal but didn't take it up.

There are now a **** load of properties on that site worth 50 million plus. Could have probably sorted Ron right out.

I just highlights how one dimensional and at times delusional, Ron really is.

Back