• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sodje/Clarke/Barrett

Beefy

Life President
With Sodje back from suspension, AB recently proving his doubters wrong and Clarke being probably our best player in recent weeks I guess we have a rare selection problem.

So who would you go for at the back against Cardiff and who do you think Tilly will opt for.

I think I'd keep Barrett & Clarke together, and I'd expect Tilly to do so too.

I'd keep Barrett and Clarke together until one of them has a stinker or something. I love Efe, but those two have been superb together lately and, as Tilly said, players who come back from injuries or suspensions having played well in the first eleven before that injury or suspension cannot expect to come straight back in. We should keep the first eleven settled for now. Efe will have to work hard to get his place back!

Clarke and Barrett let Sodje fight for his place!! He made a couple of silly mistakes at the Norwich game he has to get his game back he was an excellent player last season. If we drop him maybe it will give him the drive to get that form back from last season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Jan. 08 2007,23:38)]With Sodje back from suspension, AB recently proving his doubters wrong and Clarke being probably our best player in recent weeks I guess we have a rare selection problem.

So who would you go for at the back against Cardiff and who do you think Tilly will opt for.

Clarke and Barrett all the way for this one.

Sodje's last performance wasn't too hot anyway.

I was shot down in flames a few weeks back for saying that Clarke would come good and that JCR deserved a starting position.

How things have changed!
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperbhoy @ Jan. 08 2007,23:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Jan. 08 2007,23:38)]With Sodje back from suspension, AB recently proving his doubters wrong and Clarke being probably our best player in recent weeks I guess we have a rare selection problem.

I was shot down in flames a few weeks back for saying that Clarke would come good and that JCR deserved a starting position.

How things have changed!  
laugh.gif
Sodge straight back in.

Gonna need him up there,more meat with me gravy please.

Our defence played superb as a Barrett and Sodge partnership last season,hasn't been tried yet but i can't wait for the day.

Sorry Peter,you've given your all and i'm proud for you,well done.

Er - but your'e sub

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp and two veg @ Jan. 09 2007,01:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperbhoy @ Jan. 08 2007,23:55)]
[b said:

How things have changed!  
laugh.gif
Sodge straight back in.

Gonna need him up there,more meat with me gravy please.

Our defence played superb as a Barrett and Sodge partnership last season,hasn't been tried yet but i can't wait for the day.

Sorry Peter,you've given your all and i'm proud for you,well done.

Er - but your'e sub
I think your approach would carry with it a bad example for fighting for your place. If Barrett and Clarke have done well in recent games, they should be repaid for their performances. How can Tilly demand that players raise their game to earn their place when they lose that place in the starting 11 once another player is fit again?

Plus... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

correct. stay with the players who are in form and working well together. i have always been a big fan of barrett and love his style of defender. when he makes one of his runs forward its brilliant. and clarke has proved hiself for me. did not like him playing in midfield and he started off for us a bit dodgy, but now he has settled in and fast becoming a very important member

deffiantley keep clarkey and barrett in!

How can we even contemplate dropping Clarke?! In the last 5 games he has been immense, absolutely immense!

IMO Clarke (and JCR) hitting form has been one of the key reasons our recent results have picked up.

People seem to form an opinion of a view of a player and then it can never change or it is like admitting you've been wrong. The trouble is when he played at the start he had a couple of shaky performances at the back and then put in midfield where he clearly is not comfortable at. I believe many formed the view of him playing midfield which is unfair on him if anything. He was nothing short of awful in midfield, but since being put in defence at the Tottenham game he has been awesome. You do not look awesome for 6 games on the trot by accident. He has shown what he is capable of and the exact reasons Tilly bought him in. I honestly believe that one day he will make SUFC a lot of money.

Sometimes things which I read on here stagger me, but dropping Clarke has to be the most staggering things I've read on here in a long time!

(Is there a Peter Clarke Appreciation Society yet?!! If not then I am copyrighting!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Jan. 09 2007,09:32)](Is there a Peter Clarke Appreciation Society yet?!! If not then I am copyrighting!)
And I'll gladly be your first member!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jamessufc88 @ Jan. 09 2007,09:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Jan. 09 2007,09:32)](Is there a Peter Clarke Appreciation Society yet?!! If not then I am copyrighting!)
Welcome to the club!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Jan. 09 2007,09:44)]
[b said:
[b said:
Welcome to the club!
I'm in too!
cool.gif

how could anyone contemplate dropping barrett and clarke at the moment? efe was good, excellent at some points but also pretty poor at others leading to his suspension... why fix what isn't broken at the moment!?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Jan. 09 2007,09:44)]
[b said:
[b said:
Welcome to the club!
me too!

I'd have Sodje back into the first team like a shot.

Its about picking the best team, not the best individual performers. You need at least one of your central defenders to be dominant in the air. That means Sodje (or Spinner, when fit) must start.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Jan. 09 2007,09:56)]I'd have Sodje back into the first team like a shot.

Its about picking the best team, not the best individual performers. You need at least one of your central defenders to be dominant in the air. That means Sodje (or Spinner, when fit) must start.
Yes it is understandable to say "pick the best XI" but what does that tell the boys about fighting for your place? Performances will improve with the fight for places and afterall this is what we want.
How will Barrett/Clark feel if they are dropped just becuase Efe is back from suspension? Esp after they have been performing so well. If Efe has been suspended that shows he has made msitakes. Keep the performers in I say - a bit of competition for places will bring the best out in the team. Afterall, no one would make extra effort if they know they will get a place on the team sheet no matter what.

Barrett and Clarke for me, Clarke has been looking the player I thought he would be in recent weeks and AB has played very well the past few games.

Sodje was pretty rubbish at Norwich, he couldn't even kick the thing and when he did he nearly scored what would have been the most comical o.g ever! I'm not having a go becasue he's a good defender but as already said, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

totally agree they have to fight for their place -

the "squad" is only just beginning to be strong enough. More
competition is needed in centre mid as well -

Back