• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
Just before Adam Barrett was laid off with injury and the subsequent operation he was showing the type of form that got him Player of the Season by Club ,Fans ,Fellow Professionals and Writers in his first Season with us ,even tho it was a lower division he was the outstanding Player and was voted so even tho Freddy was knocking in the Goals for fun .He was also having our best and most solid spell as a Centre Back partnership this Season with Clarke .This also seemed to make the Full Backs play better defensively as they was much more solid and not getting pulled all over the place like they are now with huge gaps appearing .It was definately our best Defensive spell .Sodje on the other Hand is nowhere near the same Player he was last Season and ever since his Broken Leg he has been Slower and Jittery and has suddenly got a Panic about his play and is making a few mistakes each Game and he looks very low on confidence from the stand out Player that he was .
It did amaze me that as the Game was lost on Friday ,T & B could and should have given Barrett about 15-20 Minutes in place of Sodje to get some Match Fitness to get the Defence performing the way it needs to in our remaining crucial Games .
So who is it for you ,Efe Sodje or Adam Barrett ? .

barrett straight back in for me... sodje played ok for about 70mins, it was just the 2 massive mistakes may have cost us survival

Just before Adam Barrett was laid off with injury and the subsequent operation he was showing the type of form that got him Player of the Season by Club ,Fans ,Fellow Professionals and Writers in his first Season with us ,even tho it was a lower division he was the outstanding Player and was voted so even tho Freddy was knocking in the Goals for fun .He was also having our best and most solid spell as a Centre Back partnership this Season with Clarke .This also seemed to make the Full Backs play better defensively as they was much more solid and not getting pulled all over the place like they are now with huge gaps appearing .It was definately our best Defensive spell .Sodje on the other Hand is nowhere near the same Player he was last Season and ever since his Broken Leg he has been Slower and Jittery and has suddenly got a Panic about his play and is making a few mistakes each Game and he looks very low on confidence from the stand out Player that he was .
It did amaze me that as the Game was lost on Friday ,T & B could and should have given Barrett about 15-20 Minutes in place of Sodje to get some Match Fitness to get the Defence performing the way it needs to in our remaining crucial Games .
So who is it for you ,Efe Sodje or Adam Barrett ? .

Barrett for me , when he plays we look more solid and he is not prone to the mistakes Sodje makes.

Can't do us no harm to throw him in for 15 minutes on friday as the game was already out of our reach.

Really hard one. Dont think Sodje played any worse than Hammell infact I dont think Sodje error for the first was nearly as bad as the way Hammell gave away so much time and space for the second and then TURNED HIS BACK as the guy shot. A full back should NEVER turn away even if it means taking it full in the bo****ks and spending the next 5 mins rolling around on the ground. So its Sodje with Barrett left back for me.

Barrett definately! I personally don't think Sodje has been the same since his injury. I also tend to think this is one division too much for him.

Barrett. If he's not punished for that stupid lapse rather than welting it up the field or into touch then there's something wrong.

Barrett and cheese back least they both give their all and dont take as many risks. I know cheese is lacking sometimes but he is a lot more consistent than HAMMERTIME....

Really hard one. Dont think Sodje played any worse than Hammell infact I dont think Sodje error for the first was nearly as bad as the way Hammell gave away so much time and space for the second and then TURNED HIS BACK as the guy shot. A full back should NEVER turn away even if it means taking it full in the bo****ks and spending the next 5 mins rolling around on the ground. So its Sodje with Barrett left back for me.

the problem was that col ewe had just walked through our midfield and our defence was over run.. wouldn't really blame hammell for it as someone should have put a tackle in long before

Sodje has been a great player for us and the improvement in the defence that came when he joined last year is a major reason why we're in this league in the first place. He looked like he was getting back to that form earlier in the season, and he was a giant against Manchester Untied, but ever since he went off against Spurs in the Quarter Final (and doesn't that feel like an age ago...?) he's not been the same player.

As I said in another thread, I'd expect Barrett or Prior to start tomorrow and I would be surprised if Sodje plays for us again.

the problem was that col ewe had just walked through our midfield and our defence was over run.. wouldn't really blame hammell for it as someone should have put a tackle in long before

Watch it again Jontosh. Hammel's problem was that Cur. had a completely unmarked player outside him. He had to decide whether to close down The Hat Trick Hero, or cut off the pass to the player on the outside who would then have had a clear run on goal. He judged that THTH was far enough out not to have a good chance of scoring and he lost the gamble - but he should never have had to make that decision, he was covering in the centre and where was our central defence?

Watch it again Jontosh. Hammel's problem was that Cur. had a completely unmarked player outside him. He had to decide whether to close down The Hat Trick Hero, or cut off the pass to the player on the outside who would then have had a clear run on goal. He judged that THTH was far enough out not to have a good chance of scoring and he lost the gamble - but he should never have had to make that decision, he was covering in the centre and where was our central defence?

A very good point.

The ball out wide looked like the better option and that is the one that Hammell had to be mindful of because he was left completely unprotected. As it was, Cureton is so full of confidence at the moment that he went for the long shot.

Very true.

As for the original question, I think that I would opt for Barrett. He took a long time adapting to this league and I was critical of his performances early season but before he got injured, he looked a very useful member of the team. His commitment to the cause is unquestionable and his eye for a cheap goal may yet help us stay up.

If Wilson comes in to the team at the expense of Hammell, I'm going to leave the stadium and get in line for Orient tickets.

Hammel should have steamed into Cureton and took a yellow for the sake of the team.Other teams have done that to us all season.
But oh no,he decides to be a defensive cissy fcuking woos.

This came moments after Fred's cocked up header,where we were also right on top of the game and getting really close to an equaliser.

What a kick in the teeth for our lads.

Barrett back on the left where he was majestic in his last game for us.

Touch of luck will bring some confidence on Monday,three points will get Roots Hall rocking again for Barnsley next week. Sing up at Deepdale boys,we aint going nowhere yet.

Seems to me the stage is set for a Roy of the Rovers cameo from Barrett. An up and at em backs to the wall we will never surrender performance. It has to be Barrett.

Back