• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for digging this out. He is quite specific about the contact being "we've been in contact" and specifically at no point "I".

I think the piece is clearly using "we" in the context of the management team/club. If we are saying no-one from the management team and no-one from the club has been in contact then the piece is absolutely wrong and you would want to question it. But do we really think Ricky Duncan, Craig Fagan, Hermann Hreidarsson, Tony Colbert etc. have not been in contact?

Of course, naturally people will interpret it in the way that matches how they see it.

Again, I’m just relaying what I know, the only contact the players have had, is with Ben Clarkson, who has been on hand to discuss any injury concerns, & Craig Fagan.

Tony Colbert had got in touch to give them some fitness routines, although I believe this was towards the end of May, when the possibility of the season resuming, cropped up.

If anyone else had been in contact with individual players, I dare say the rest of the team would have found out, as they speak regularly on WhatsApp.

I agree Sol’s words are somewhat ambiguous, and does paint the picture that “we” might well refer to the club, as a whole.

However, that brings about the question of why is Sol being ambiguous?

More pertinently though, the simple question is why hasn’t Sol taken it upon himself to check up on his players? I understand there’s this shroud of mystery surrounding the furlough rules, but the furlough rules do not stop a person checking in on people’s mental health, along with their general concerns & worries etc.

Those are the attributes & examples that you’d want from a leader, no?

What about Emmanuel Osadebe and Theo Vassell cancelling their contracts at Macclesfield to come here? Osadebe also publicly saying because he knows Sol is here? Likes all of his pictures on instagram?

The only thing I can suggest is that no two scenarios are the same.

I suppose they had a better time under Sol at Macc, than the current lot have had with him here.

Although of course, those two must be absolutely chuffed they decided to come here now ?

Dont get me wrong GBJ, you nailed it with him not contacting the players. But my god, some of the posts on here are beyond harsh.

Mate, I’m just relaying information that I’ve been fortunate enough to learn.

If people choose to believe it, take it with a pinch of salt, rubbish it completely, look for motives and agendas, then that’s upto them, and I respect their choice to do so.

Again, I’m just relaying what I know, the only contact the players have had, is with Ben Clarkson, who has been on hand to discuss any injury concerns, & Craig Fagan.

Tony Colbert had got in touch to give them some fitness routines, although I believe this was towards the end of May, when the possibility of the season resuming, cropped up.

If anyone else had been in contact with individual players, I dare say the rest of the team would have found out, as they speak regularly on WhatsApp.

I agree Sol’s words are somewhat ambiguous, and does paint the picture that “we” might well refer to the club, as a whole.

However, that brings about the question of why is Sol being ambiguous?

More pertinently though, the simple question is why hasn’t Sol taken it upon himself to check up on his players? I understand there’s this shroud of mystery surrounding the furlough rules, but the furlough rules do not stop a person checking in on people’s mental health, along with their general concerns & worries etc.

Those are the attributes & examples that you’d want from a leader, no?

The only thing I can suggest is that no two scenarios are the same.

I suppose they had a better time under Sol at Macc, than the current lot have had with him here.

Although of course, those two must be absolutely chuffed they decided to come here now ?

Mate, I’m just relaying information that I’ve been fortunate enough to learn.

If people choose to believe it, take it with a pinch of salt, rubbish it completely, look for motives and agendas, then that’s upto them, and I respect their choice to do so.

Fair enough, I hear you. But be warned, Im going to stay playing devils avocado with you?

All good GBJ. Whats your thoughts on the retained list that is supposedly being released today?

It’s anyone’s guess tbh. I haven’t heard anything. Yet.

FWIW, I don’t necessarily think this retained list amounts to much if I’m being honest. A lot of clubs will simply use it as a way of costcutting.

For example, today we could release all of those players, with a view to resigning them when the season restarts. That saves us a couple of months worth of wages, and allows us to renegotiate better contracts in due course.

Pretty **** for the players, mind you.

anyway with tough decisions coming up - affecting peoples livelihoods and family circumstances I am not sure I would be wanting to playing best buddy buddy with grown men who I might be saying bye bye off you go to...

football is a tough game .. every year they have o crush a load of dreams in youth teams, every year they have to say - sorry mate your legs have gone (politely) etc etc.

i know we all like playing manager of the year in our dream world but I woudl not see the point of "keeping in touch" and talking crap to a professional footballer who is just thinking - "you going to give me a contract" or am I going to have move house and schools and tell the missus we are off someone else again..

Also withCOVID 19 and the financial ruins across teh EFL no-one know whats happening..

yeah - I Think i would want to cut the b/s - howm any times can you say "sorry pal - i don't know whats happening - not even to myself"

aside from the annoyingness of them, its the tone of them. Has been from the outset. Its like he's manager of southend on one hand, and on the other he's totally detached just sending out instagram messages to his fans, like the job is an aside to him, like he's way to big for the club and doesnt really want to be that associated with it.

either dont do it all (preferred) or stick to positive honest messages about the club, maybe inspiring, maybe praising, but show some real life engagement to SUFC, this might endear people to him more.

and take your hat and shades off indoors, thats inexcusable.

aside from the annoyingness of them, its the tone of them. Has been from the outset. Its like he's manager of southend on one hand, and on the other he's totally detached just sending out instagram messages to his fans, like the job is an aside to him, like he's way to big for the club and doesnt really want to be that associated with it.

either dont do it all (preferred) or stick to positive honest messages about the club, maybe inspiring, maybe praising, but show some real life engagement to SUFC, this might endear people to him more.

and take your hat and shades off indoors, thats inexcusable.

Agree - Sol appears to take little pride in being manager of Southend and more interested in cultivating some sort of brand.

Other than his first day on the training ground, he’s never once referenced the fact he’s Southend manager on his social media. He doesn’t even follow the club’s accounts. Very odd.

I think it is the fact that he has disconnected himself from the club is why so many fans seem disconnected to him.

If he'd posted enigmatic posts wearing a club tracksuit or at the training ground or Roots Hall, we'd feel like he was our man but he never does.

/m
I think it is the fact that he has disconnected himself from the club is why so many fans seem disconnected to him.

If he'd posted enigmatic posts wearing a club tracksuit or at the training ground or Roots Hall, we'd feel like he was our man but he never does.
Maybe Hummel are about to announce a range of straw hats and "indoor" sunglasses to go with the club shop rebrand?

I think we have to remember the tiny proportion of fans who are fixated with, or indeed even have an interest in, his personal Instagram account.

True but wouldn’t you agree the discussion is about his fixation with it (or just use of it), not theirs?
No- he doesn't post frequently and what he posts is pretty impersonal and lacking in detail whether it his personal life or indeed work. There is a desperation sometimes to nonetheless read something negative into the little he does post, and I guess it provides entertainment for the few people on this thread. And here I am posting so I am one of them..

What does it tell me? I have too much time on my hands..

Honestly, I don't give a damn (within reason) about his social media accounts. I don't, to a point, much care as to whether the players like him. My concentration is focused entirely on what he achieved on the pitch. Before the premature end of the season he managed to get a tiny squad of mainly kids and a few experienced players playing an attractive blend of football I hadn't seen for a long time. I, for one, think he deserves the chance to develop the basis of that young squad, adding some experience. Of course, whether he will be able to do that depends on his negotiations with Ron (if indeed there are any!) He may well leave but I would be sad, if that were the case.

From day 1 I've never trusted Sol. I always feel like he's never been fully invested in us. He's comes with a chip on his shoulder as if he should have the god given right of being a prem manager automatically just because of who he is.

this would wind me up but this is the same sort if crap Tilson used to get .... oh his post match interviews are terrible... he just says he same thing .. etcetc

i think a lot of southend fans are very negative about everuthing and of course nothing gives them more pleasure than pouring out their frustrationn on a bloke who is a higly successful individual who has won a load of major trophies and represented his country in the wolrd cup and major international tournnaments .... there really must be something wrong with him !!

Anyway I won't push this too far as I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable but really and truly there is an unpleasant edge to the anti- Sol campaign that I really don't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back