• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Good stuff, I hope you make a full recovery, I wonder if he knows Cambridge signed Barry corr ? That will help him along the way:thumbsup::smile:

Good stuff, I hope you make a full recovery, I wonder if he knows Cambridge signed Barry corr ? That will help him along the way:thumbsup::smile:

I wouldn't tell him we got promoted, just yet, though!

Seriously great news.

Onwards and upwards for the fella!

Some really poor reporting on the BBC local news at 7 a.m. this morning on the TV ..."Dobbin was (apparently) attacked while watching a match between Southend and Cambridge"! :thumbdown:

This accompanied a story that his wife has released some new photos of him.

Really great to hear he is making progress.

But wow, what awful journalism here from the Daily Star:
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/461566/Footy-fan-Simon-Dobbin-supporters-speaks

Pictured the wrong pub and said he was on his way to "Southend railway station"(!).

I know it's the Daily Star, but how hard is it to get the basic facts right? Interested to see what the guvnor of the Railway Hotel in Southend has to say about it.
Why the railway hotel in Southend ?

Some really poor reporting on the BBC local news at 7 a.m. this morning on the TV ..."Dobbin was (apparently) attacked while watching a match between Southend and Cambridge"! :thumbdown:

This accompanied a story that his wife has released some new photos of him.

Because the Star reporter was a bellend that didn't do his research at all. Which meant that the Railway Hotel, Prittlewell became the Railway Hotel, Southend in his article.

Mistaking a pub called the Railway Hotel in one part of Southend for a pub called the Railway Hotel in another part of Southend less than a mile and a half away is hardly the worst mistake in the history of journalism.

Take the good news from his gradual recovery, which is rather more important than the way it's reported.

Mistaking a pub called the Railway Hotel in one part of Southend for a pub called the Railway Hotel in another part of Southend less than a mile and a half away is hardly the worst mistake in the history of journalism.

Take the good news from his gradual recovery, which is rather more important than the way it's reported.

Maybe not, but if it impacts his business he has a right to be upset about it.

Maybe not, but mistaking the Railway Hotel with the Railway Tavern, which is what has actually happened here is slight worse.

I am indeed very pleased to hear the good news, I'm afraid I'm a bit of a pedant when it comes to matters like this as a former journalist myself.

And therein lies the problem and why there has been such a decline in the standard of journalism in this country. We too easily accept errors.

More photo's of Simon Dobbin have been released and are on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-34206544

I have to say, he doesn't look good and the way his hands have curled tells us what a serious brain injury he has sustained.

Could we help organise a charity match to raise money for his family? He comes from Mildenhall, so what about Mildenhall Town v SUFC XI. Anyone got any contacts at the club to try and get something done? I feel we ought to do something.

And therein lies the problem and why there has been such a decline in the standard of journalism in this country. We too easily accept errors.

That or the fact that newspapers are owned by number crunchers who don't care about quality and standards, merely the amount their shareholders can trouser.

Anyway enough off-topic stuff from me.

Those photos on the BBC site are heartbreaking.

Leading story on BBC look east at 6. Now that I have seen more photos of Simon I am more inclined to agree with a friend of mine who is convinced he was in the Spread when trouble started before the game. Maybe that's why he was targeted? It did say 16 people are now on bail, so I guess we will get the full story when the trial starts.

Back