• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Somerset CCC vs. Essex CCC

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ April 28 2005,17:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BILLERICAY BLUE @ April 28 2005,16:16)]Hmm, I fear not, I think Gillespie has got his number. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong though.
With you there Paul (and I too would love to be wrong). The Aussies often have specific plans for the English batsmen and they've got Tresco totally under their spell.

Hope they don't 'find out' Andrew Strauss....
I'm another one agreeing with you!

Unless Trescothick is at his very best I too can see him being Gillespie's bunny, as Gillespie will tempt him into indiscretions outside off-stump and get him regularly caught in the gully/slips and to a lesser extent playing on.

The Aussies will also probably go at Strauss from around the wicket from the start. Strauss looked vulnerable to this during the South African series and I hope he's been working on his angles during the off-season.

Annoyingly nelson has struck. Cook bowled by Richard Johnson.

217/3

The 'other' Flower has gone for 2. Ronnie's in with Bopara and can hopefully see out the rest of the day as there can't be long left ...

day seen out. impressive from what appears to be a strong essex side.

His name is Ronnie Irani
His big and his barmy
he bats number 5 for essex
ESSEX
when he walks down the street
all the people he meets
say OI, BIG MAN,
Whats your name
He says....... My name is
RONNIE IRANI
his big and his barmy!!

We only have 3 pictures framed and on display in our lounge and one of them is me with Ronnie!

How many do you think they'll rack up before a declaration? Assuming there's no collapse anyway!

I can't see us declaring, I think we'll bat until we are all out, which will probably give us a lead of 150-200.

282-5

Decent run rate (85 overs), no guarantees on the weather but one would hope it would stay dry now.

283-5

Foster 21*
Middlebrook 4*

Last Wicket Irani 32

Lead is now 93, 1st target is obviously 400, declaration would be then or 30 mins before tea whichever is the later I would guess.

322-7 at Lunch.

Annoyingly we must have lost 2 wickets in the over before lunch as Caddick nipped out Middlebrook and then Napier first ball.

I'll stand by my prediction of being bowled out with a lead of 150-200.

Aargh... as I was typing, we went from 318/5 to 320/7 - Caddick has finally awoken from his slumbers with two wickets in two balls: Middlebrook and Napier for a Golden Duck.

Fozzie & Tudor in the middle - 322/7. 400 looks an awfully long way off now.

Incidentally, what's the target for max batting points - is it 300 runs in 90 overs or 400 in 120 overs? Or something else entirely...?!

Matt

P.S. Am I the only one wondering whether Essex's performance against Somerset is a good omen... or whether instead, in some sort of freakish ying and yang thing, Yeovil will redress the balance for Somerset at Roots Hall tomorrow...

ghostface.gif

Yes, I am losing my marbles, I know.

IIRC its 400 for maximum batting points. The overs never appears to be an issue.

I think its still a realistic target. Foster and Tudor who are batting and Adams and Gough who are to come have all got first class centuries (is Bopara the only one in the team without one?).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 29 2005,13:27)]P.S. Am I the only one wondering whether Essex's performance against Somerset is a good omen... or whether instead, in some sort of freakish ying and yang thing, Yeovil will redress the balance for Somerset at Roots Hall tomorrow...

ghostface.gif

Yes, I am losing my marbles, I know.
I was thinking along similar lines. At the start of the season to which our demise can be traced, we (Southend) played Bolton the then leaders the same time as Essex played Lancashire (it was a one-day final).

Essex were thrashed by Lancashire at Lords, whilst Southend thrashed Bolton 5-2. That season we were relegated and Bolton finished champions.

I've yet to work out what it all means though!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BILLERICAY BLUE @ April 29 2005,14:51)]353-7

Foster 48*
Tudor 18*

Matt, to answer your question, it's 400 within 130 overs to get 5 points.
Excellent. I thought there was an overs rate that had to be achieved.

At 378/7 off 116.4 (congrats to Fozzie for his half ton, and to Tudor for hitting a 6), I think that maximum batting points ought to be achieved.

Andre Adams and Goughie as nos. 10 & 11... blimey, we must have the longest tail in County Cricket!

biggrin.gif

389/7. If Foster can hit out hard enough he may even get his ton before a declaration. Tudor hasn't hit a single 4 in his 30!

426/7

Tudor is accelerating, he's now hit a four in his 57! Would expect a declaration shortly, a tidy 236 ahead.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrB @ April 29 2005,15:49)]426/7

Tudor is accelerating, he's now hit a four in his 57!  Would expect a declaration shortly, a tidy 236 ahead.
It was very shortly MrB 
tounge.gif

Essex declared at 427 - 8, Tudor run out for 57, Foster 78*, a lead of 237.

Somerset 13-0, still trailing by 224.

Superb stuff... from 56/0 to 65/4. Brilliant effort.

Like I say, I hope there's not some weird Essex / Somerset ying-yang thing going on here...

oops.gif

71/4 now - still 166 runs behind. Need to get rid of young John Francis... once he's gone, we'll be really in the driving seat.

smile.gif

Back