• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

ooh-andy-ansah

Director
Southampton apparently exploring loan partnerships with lower league sides.

If they are happy with our handling of Sam McQueen this could be good news for us, on the other hand if they weren't...... be interesting to see if we are in the mix or even interested in this kind of partnership.

Just the sort of scheme that could prevent players like Bentley & Payne leaving for free/tribunals in future if deals can be done ie. They loan us players in return for first refusal on talent that we develop when they reach a certain level, the downside is we would become a feeder club and have to give up our dream of Premiership football in that lovely shiny new stadium of ours......:whistling:

Southampton's academy is something special, I'd do it for a couple of years and see where we are. I can only see the club that does get this partnership benefitting if I'm honest. If we grow, get new stadium etc. we can cut it off

I wouldn't mind it, get some great talent coming through the Southampton ranks and it would benefit us as these deals normally see the parent club pay the whole wage

If there was one club I would be happy to do this for, it would be Southampton. Some serious talent come through their accedemy over the last 10 years

Theo Walcott, Gareth Bale, Oxlade Chamberlain, Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana to name just a few.

The rise of Barnsley from bottom three to promotion via the play-offs was achieved with significant input from good-quality loanees. We have had mixed fortunes with loanees in the recent past, from the outstandingly good Britt Assombalonga to some that I'd rather forget. However, a formal partnership with a Premier League club should, I would hope, ensure that we would get access to the best of their young players that they see as their potential next generation of first-teamers with greater room for negotiation and consultation than we might have in standard one-off loan agreements. I would say such a partnership, if offered, would deserve our serious consideration.

The rise of Barnsley from bottom three to promotion via the play-offs was achieved with significant input from good-quality loanees. We have had mixed fortunes with loanees in the recent past, from the outstandingly good Britt Assombalonga to some that I'd rather forget. However, a formal partnership with a Premier League club should, I would hope, ensure that we would get access to the best of their young players that they see as their potential next generation of first-teamers with greater room for negotiation and consultation than we might have in standard one-off loan agreements. I would say such a partnership, if offered, would deserve our serious consideration.

It's not Southend United then, is it? What's the maximum allowed in one team? I think it's five, so therefore half the team consists of fly-by-nights.

It's not Southend United then, is it? What's the maximum allowed in one team? I think it's five, so therefore half the team consists of fly-by-nights.
I don't hear any complaints from my Barnsley-supporter friends about the 'fly-by-nights' who got them promoted to the Championship.

This sounds like a back door route to becoming a B team. Quite a few Premiership clubs would like that. The problem is that the Premier club would dictate what tactics the feeder club would use and also choose what positions their players would perform in. Not good for clubs like us.

This sounds like a back door route to becoming a B team. Quite a few Premiership clubs would like that. The problem is that the Premier club would dictate what tactics the feeder club would use and also choose what positions their players would perform in. Not good for clubs like us.
As I stated in a previous post, the idea would "deserve our serious consideration". If, as part of any agreement, we had to play the maximum number of their loanees each match or if the parent club insisted on dictating how we should play loan players, then I am sure that our due consideration would be to tell them politely that we are not interested and rightly so.

As I stated in a previous post, the idea would "deserve our serious consideration". If, as part of any agreement, we had to play the maximum number of their loanees each match or if the parent club insisted on dictating how we should play loan players, then I am sure that our due consideration would be to tell them politely that we are not interested and rightly so.

according to a certain poster on here that sort of thing happens already, so no change:winking:

according to a certain poster on here that sort of thing happens already, so no change:winking:
Haha! More than one, I seem to recall. I'm surprised an enterprising university hasn't set up a Degree course in 'Conspiracy Theories'. They would find a term's worth of study material on this site.

It might teach Phil how to pick a settled side and stop tinkering :unsure:

If there was one team you'd want to be linked to in forming a Regular loanee deal it would be Southampton. Best academy around these days. Although only if they didn't dictate how and when their loaned out players play.

If there was one club I would be happy to do this for, it would be Southampton. Some serious talent come through their accedemy over the last 10 years

Theo Walcott, Gareth Bale, Oxlade Chamberlain, Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana to name just a few.

Also Matt Paterson, so be careful what you wish for.

Also Matt Paterson, so be careful what you wish for.

Presumably Southampton would be loaning us players they see having a future at the club, as opposed to Matt Paterson who they were happy to offload to get Barnard at a discount price.

I don't subscribe to this 'loanees aren't our players' argument. Football has changed and these days most lower league sides have a few loan players in their squad. It's not like 20 years ago when you'd have maybe 1 or 2 in during a season if you had injuries or if you were struggling for form. Equally our own players are increasingly short contracts so they are arguably just people we've rented for a few months.

What I don't like is when we bring in loanees who don't add anything. Assombalonga, Egan, Sokolik were all players that clearly raised the bar, and that's what we need. Loza (twice), McQueen, Kamara - I'm not sure they added anything we didn't have already and as such I'm not sure why we bother. Their parent clubs will have learnt from the loan - they didn't set the world on fire in League 1, so perhaps that's an indication that their potential isn't all that great. But SUFC has gained very little - we got another squad player when we had a big squad already.

Dont wanna be anybodies lap dog though, didnt we try or come close to trying this with Wet Spam and it was carp?

Back