• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend 2 - 4 Barnsley - FA Cup

I won't comment on the game itself, I think everyone else is saying enough (not that I agree or disagree with anyone).

However, am I the only person who feels the post match comments are not, well .... very direct or confident. This is the only time I lose faith a little with SCP.
Everytime he does a post match interview, he never feels me with confidence. He looks down at the floor a lot and uses inconcise repetitive comments and rarely answers a question directly.

This is a good example. Chris Phillips asks a question. Where is the answer ?

"At 2-1 I was making two changes"
  • Well that was about 56 minutes into the game !!

"But at 3-1 it was gung ho"
  • So the answer to CP's question is a no then and you decided to have a real go at 70 minutes then hence the 3 changes at 76 minutes ??

"We have so many games and I have to look after the players"
  • AT 76 MINUTES ??
  • Also, after Dieng taking a fairly hard knock, why leave him on then ??

Maybe it's just me, but if he was more confident with the interviews, I would never have a reason to doubt him. It tells me he doesn't really have the answer. Whats the answer to the question SCP, a simple yes or no would be better.

We were poor today overall and could have been 2 or 3 down at half time. We had a go, but for much of the game I thought we looked like and played like the underdogs from a division below, such was the gulf in quality.

The lino's awful decision covers up the cracks because we didn't deserve anything from the game.

Yearwood was as poor as I've seen him and I know part of the reason might be down to fitness, but it's not fitness that made him continually make the wrong decisions this afternoon.

Barnsley's attacking movement was very impressive at times & it pains me to say it, but I thought Moncur was the very thing we lack in midfield. Technically good, has movement, keeps possession, finds space to hurt teams and can pass the ball forwards.

Although losing at home is always disappointing what ruined my afternoon was the abuse directed at Chris Powell by people in the East Stand. Why can't these guys get real? The team has been decimated by long term injuries to key players and we can't sign anyone until January. Every team at every level of football would suffer with such a horrendous injury list. Despite this some people expect us to beat teams such as Barnsley who can spend £750k on a striker.We are an average sized club in this division and yet are still able to get to 14th with all what is going on at the moment. What on earth do some fans expect?
Another good post, there’s a lot of our supporters that don’t understand football, the good thing about our club is it has a good die hard bunch that go win loose or draw to support the team, off to Pompey next week up the blues

i do think Powells management of Yearwood is very poor -

He is 18 and good but not ready to run a league one midfield and is being asked to do too much to soon.

i see Powell giving him instructions when the guy is having a mare and looks unfit -

Protect him - give him a break -use him as a sub - let Hyam take the strain -

not at all good for the club or for the player

The officials said the goalscorer was offside not Turner so the lino must have thought one of the two players on the goal line got a touch.
No as per the Echo report Powell was told by the match officials that the goalscorer (Turner) was offside and nothing to do with the other 2 players.

Last season at Yeovil in the FA cup we had a perfectly good goal ruled out as well.

Oh well let's hope we have some luck in upcoming games.

So what do you think of our first half performance?
We weren't as polished or skillful as Barnsley, but we kept battling away, competing for the second ball and were rewarded with a goal. There were several moves where we did string two passes together and with a bit more luck and sometimes determination we could have had more chances. To say we were abysmal did the side a injustice in my view. It actually doesn't matter whether you agree with me because I don't have the same view as you. That's what opinions are all about, and I hope we can, at least, agree on that.

We were poor today overall and could have been 2 or 3 down at half time. We had a go, but for much of the game I thought we looked like and played like the underdogs from a division below, such was the gulf in quality.

The lino's awful decision covers up the cracks because we didn't deserve anything from the game.

Yearwood was as poor as I've seen him and I know part of the reason might be down to fitness, but it's not fitness that made him continually make the wrong decisions this afternoon.

Barnsley's attacking movement was very impressive at times & it pains me to say it, but I thought Moncur was the very thing we lack in midfield. Technically good, has movement, keeps possession, finds space to hurt teams and can pass the ball forwards.
If only we could afford the wages of some of Barnsley's players. I know it's not all about budgets but that and the fact we currently have 9 players injured doesn't help at the moment. Also I agree some of CP's tactics not helping either.

It was "interesting" that the East Stand spent more time getting on the backs of our players and managers then they did anything else. You know, if you are going to gob off at our guys all the time, why don't you **** off into the away end. It wouldn't be so bad if once in a while you said something, anything, encouraging. Same voices. Probably don't wear the trousers in their own houses.

The game. Barnsley were better than us in all departments. Helped by having an extra man (or men) for large periods of the game. Oh god, that referee was absolutely dreadful. I've seen better on the Borough Combination. Several times I found myself yelling at him, I don't generally do that. Not competent.

Us. Well, where to start. Not sure what SCP has to do to win. He played Cox up front on his own. This after everyone was pretty much saying Theo is dogdoodah and McGoal a poor immitation. I am sure the same collection of intellectuals would have been ranting if he'd started either. We don't have Tom Hopper, we can't get a replacement for a month.... we have to play what we have.

Dieng..... played AM, and for parts of the second half was almost a centre forward. I thought he did ok, and that may be the way we balance the books.

I am going to sponsor a game one day, only so I can give John White the MotM. He was our best player (again) today. No one seems to notice.

And dya know, that place exploded when Turner scored. I've seen what you've seen, its a perfectly good goal. Should have been 3-3, should have been a replay that we probably wouldn't have won anyway.

I don't expect much next week at Fratton Park, but the following three games are absolutely crucial. Maybe if we got behind them at home......

all true about the misery faction in the east stand

Mark Oxley seems to costing us a lot of goals these days -

lost count but deffo 2 at Wimbledon and today ??

We weren't as polished or skillful as Barnsley, but we kept battling away, competing for the second ball and were rewarded with a goal. There were several moves where we did string two passes together and with a bit more luck and sometimes determination we could have had more chances. To say we were abysmal did the side a injustice in my view. It actually doesn't matter whether you agree with me because I don't have the same view as you. That's what opinions are all about, and I hope we can, at least, agree on that.
Of course we can agree that we all have our own opinions

90 minutes - FA Cup tie - at home against a side in our own division - 2 shots on target. The vast majority of our side are either not quick enough or not strong enough and some both.

We would have been smashed if it weren't for John White and Elvis. Cox and McLaughlin at least gave it a go.

It's a season too many for Turner and Kightly and as much as I like Sam he is a bit short of pace and trickery. Having said that we gave them their goals say back and gave them lots of space. The reason we lose games is because we concede too many - every Barnsley player was yards quicker than us.

Surely Hyam and Bunn haven't played too many games.
Oxley playing again like a cat in headlights and Dru is either trying to hard enough.

How many home defeats is that now ?

i do think Powells management of Yearwood is very poor -

He is 18 and good but not ready to run a league one midfield and is being asked to do too much to soon.

i see Powell giving him instructions when the guy is having a mare and looks unfit -

Protect him - give him a break -use him as a sub - let Hyam take the strain -

not at all good for the club or for the player

Because we are trying to sell him in the Jan transfer window

Another good post, there’s a lot of our supporters that don’t understand football, the good thing about our club is it has a good die hard bunch that go win loose or draw to support the team, off to Pompey next week up the blues
I hope all the 'die hard/'non' understanding football supporters' enjoy league 2 next season - it could happen you know - utb - :Winking::Stunned:

I think Powell worries too much on the games to come rather than on the game we are playing. McLaughlin had a blinder in the replay at Crawley and back to his previous best then benched for Wimbledon. Same with Hyam and Bunn midweek. I fully expect Elvis to be dropped next........

I wonder if Ron will call Chris in for a meeting on Monday to ask him about the game and the logic of his selections today? Ron would have in mind that there was £54K up for grabs and then ask Chris why he changed from the line-up which he had for last Tuesday once Demi went off. Hyam has not been over used and did not need a rest surely? Dru perhaps needed some more time and could have been eased back mid-week against Luton. Bunn has been scoring so why bench him in favour of Kites?

I get that Barnsley have a bigger budget and have an expensive striker who scores for fun against us but did we really play our best hand today? Our opponents had one point from their last two games, admittedly against Donny and Sunderland. They cannot have been over confident of success today prior to kick off. But once they went ahead it was always going to be uphill for Blues. From what I saw up at Oakwell I believed that we would get a narrow home win, with a modicum of luck. Something which has been in short supply for Blues with the horrendous injury list. Not to be as it turned out but I do question whether Chris will be ruing his selections tonight?

I quite enjoyed the game, if not the result. There was some entertainment from both sides and Barnsley (especially Moncur) played some good football on the ground.
Dru was not fit, Hyem is- simple choice of who to play surely?
Dieng was supposed to be up top with Cox but as he is a midfielder kept dropping back - and again he ran out of steam after 75 minutes - it happens every game almost & it is a shame he has not got Atko's engine.
We played better football than we have for a few months and if we had stuck to basics we might have done better. If after the no3 got booked MacL had been against him (not swapped flanks) he might have drawn a second yellow?
There was, for me, no signs of slacking by the players. The regular whipping boys? Well IMO White was good, Hendrie also, MacL put in a shift and Kites worked well with Elvis.
For the first goal Turner and/or Oxley may want to see if there is a lesson there for the home league game against them - or any big lumps.
Inconsistent ref.
Crowd in East wasn't very supportive BUT around me many of the regular season ticket persons weren't there and some muppets had "graced" us with their ?knowledge? and insight.
A draw at 3-3 MIGHT have been fair - at least it would have given the 3rd round draw some Essex Glamour!

Les Ferdinand was apparently watching Dru and presumably went nah..

good - positives to take from the current squad & season imho - are Dru & Elvis - both coming thru our own youth system and very much work in progress - dru not on it today (injury)? - Elvis this lad has a footballing brain gets pulled out of position at times - but my fav at the moment ---- but then I have no understanding of football :Smile:

Back