• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend 2 Norwich 1

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ July 23 2005,19:00)]1. All of last seasons mainstays gave good accounts of themselves, particularly Barrett, Maher, Bentley and Freddy.

2. Wayne Gray's so called "defence frightening" pace was pitifully ineffective against a higher level of defender - we seriously need some more forwards.

3. Flavs is better than Bart (even if he was at fault for their goal).

4. Guttridge is pure class - solid and creative in midfield, tracked back and defended well when needed and just as comfortable in attack. What an asset.
1. Agreed.

2. Agreed.

3. Why oh why did you post that! Lets not start that again!

4. Agreed. Guttridge is indeed showing what a quality player he is now he's fit.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ July 23 2005,19:09)]Honours even, I'd say.
Absolutely. While I thought that Flavs may have been a touch out of position for the goal, otherwise he didn't play too badly.

Bart had more to do, although none of the shots that I can recall really tested him.

Another one I forgot about, what happened to Paul Goodacre?

It was slightly strange standing by the dugout seeing one youth player after another come out. It made you keep realising just how thin our squad is at the moment.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ July 23 2005,18:57)]And my only other gripe was their goal. Yes, it was a good finish, but Flavs made it very easy for him by taking up a shocking position. Charlton didn't even have to stick it in the corner, Flavs gave him so much of the goal to shoot at.
I would be extremely interested to read Wiggy's opinion on this ... although I suspect it will totally contradict yours ...

WS

glare.gif

the one thing that we definately are, is a team. no wholsale changes during the summer just a bit of tinkering needed here and there. all the players seem to know their team mates strengths and weeknesess. hopefully we can push on this season and consolidate in league one

A good team performance again today, but not as good as tuesday night. We started quite slopply, Guttridge giving away a silly free kick, which Charlton struck home. After that, we regained our composure and knocked the ball around well.

Eastwood's goal was a little different to his normal goals, a ball played down the right channel, from Hunt I think, and Eastwood outmuscling Republic of Ireland internationl Gary Doherty with ease. He was forced wide by this though, and as he was bearing down on goal, Green had his near post well covered, the only place Eastwood was going to score was to use the outside of his foot, which he did from a tight angle to bend the ball into the far corner.

The second goal was class. Similiar to a goal Mark Gower would score. The ball was cleared out to James Lawson, who, despite the crowd shouting shoot, played the easy ball to Bentley who bent it into the far top corner to leave Green beaten.

The lead could have been increased when a Maher free kick was flicked on by Bentley producing a quality save from Green. Norwich pressed forward a lot, and despite hitting the cross bar, never really threatened.

The game went a bit scrappy towards the end, after Maher had been subsituted.

Lawson, Barrett, Prior, Juppy, Eastwood, Guttridge, Maher, Bentley can all be well pleased with their efforts today. None of the others really stood out but Wilson was better than tuesday night, Hunt was solid but unspectacular, Bart and Darryl weren't tested as much as I thought they would be and neither trialist impressed enough to warrant a deal with us. The youth teamers came on and didn't do anything of real note.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 23 2005,19:52)]when a Maher free kick was flicked on by Bentley producing a quality shot from Green.
We let their keeper have a shot?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Museshrimper @ July 23 2005,20:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 23 2005,19:52)]when a Maher free kick was flicked on by Bentley producing a quality shot from Green.
We let their keeper have a shot?
Yes we did, and we still beat them.

You know what I mean. It was a great save though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 23 2005,19:52)]Eastwood's goal was a little different to his normal goals, a ball played down the right channel, from Hunt I think
Wasn't it Maher? Why is it everything he does that is good is overlooked?

It was a superb pass, right over the defenders head where Fredy could get to it ahead of him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ July 23 2005,20:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 23 2005,19:52)]Eastwood's goal was a little different to his normal goals, a ball played down the right channel, from Hunt I think
Wasn't it Maher? Why is it everything he does that is good is overlooked?

It was a superb pass, right over the defenders head where Fredy could get to it ahead of him.
Having read both match reports (One from our official site, and one from Norwich's) I stand corrected. It was indeed Kevin Maher. I knew the pass was fantastic, but couldn't remember who did it.

Have anyone have an idea why Jozic not been given an chance today as Norwich would gave him an better test than Millwall, hope another club don't nick him after his performace agasint Millwall on Tues as I feel for one as he is better than what we got in defence as he would give Spinner an fight for a place alongside Barrett.

Wright, don't forget that he is only 18 and he never play football league before, who thought Wilson become an solid left back last season after becoming an weak link of 2003/04 season. Given time (if Tilson sign him on a year contract) he will come good as we need an cheap cover for Wilson while we spend most of our budget on new forward.

As for forwards, its shown up agasint Millwall and Norwich that we be f**ked if Grays or Freddie out for an while and we need someone who can hold the ball up as we are take on biggest defence from like of Bradford and Doncaster.

Completely at a loss as to why Jozic wasn't given another chance to impress. Also, not sure why Goodacre wasn't given a run out seeing as they reported on the official site he'd get a run out Vs both Millwall and Norwich.

Best thing about the day:- bringing back 4 "Budgies" with their wings clipped!!! Took the stick from them coming down from Norwich, luvved their silence returning!! Play like that this season and we will stay up!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Back