• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Cricket Festival 2012

Not sure whether to debate this. I think the geographical location made sense but the pitch is *****.

Southend has been home to Essex cricket for over 100 years, and has been stated elsewhere the decision by Essex to limit all first class cricket to the north of the County (Chelmsford & Colchester) is perverse. The Southend Festival has always been profitable for the County whether it has been at Southchurch or Garons.

Years ago Essex CCC took cricket to most corners of the County, they played at Leyton, Ilford, Romford, Brentwood, Chalkwell Park, Clacton, Harlow, and probably I few I've forgotten. Now we are limited to two grounds, I'm not suggesting that Essex go back all those years as it's not practical and the shape of festival cricket has changed with the reduction of Championship games.

I will always support the Club, but it will have to be at the occasional away game as I will not set foot in Chelmsford or Colchester until the Southend Festival is restored, and with East and his Colchester cronies at the helm I won't hold my breath.

Southend has been home to Essex cricket for over 100 years, and has been stated elsewhere the decision by Essex to limit all first class cricket to the north of the County (Chelmsford & Colchester) is perverse. The Southend Festival has always been profitable for the County whether it has been at Southchurch or Garons.

Years ago Essex CCC took cricket to most corners of the County, they played at Leyton, Ilford, Romford, Brentwood, Chalkwell Park, Clacton, Harlow, and probably I few I've forgotten. Now we are limited to two grounds, I'm not suggesting that Essex go back all those years as it's not practical and the shape of festival cricket has changed with the reduction of Championship games.

I will always support the Club, but it will have to be at the occasional away game as I will not set foot in Chelmsford or Colchester until the Southend Festival is restored, and with East and his Colchester cronies at the helm I won't hold my breath.

I was discussing this with someone that is on the Southend Festival committee and they too are disgusted. I think Essex are looking beyond the youth that they appeal to by having a festival in South Essex. You say it has been profitable but from memory I don't think there is too much in it. I'll have to try and dig up the conversation I had.

I suppose it comes down to the agenda at the end of the day... I believe they were at one point considering playing at another location.

The agenda is that that **** East is a Scumchester member as is the current President if they'd decided festival cricket was too expensive then fine cull them BOTH

Last year Southend made a small profit, Scumchester a small loss, so why pull our festival ??

DAVID EAST IS A SELF SERVING ******

I'm also very disappointed that the Southend Festival Committee have appeared to have struck a deal with North Essex CCC allowing their members dirt cheap entry to the games .. which to my mind totally destroys what us protesters are hoping to achieve

As Essex CCC still hold the lease to Garon Park,the festival committee had to include Essex members as part of the deal to get the ground (Another being that the festival could not take place when Essex had a home match). Also worth remembering that noy all Essex supporters voted against a Southend festival. As for the Garon Park pitch, The Unicorns have been to Southend and inspected the ground, they are very happy with it. As for people saying the wicket is not up to scratch, thats rubbish. It was inspected after ever game Essex ever played there and was always marked 9 out of 10 - Higher than the wicket at Colchester!!!!!! Hope this is of help:-)

The pitch is okay. The ball just swings an awful lot there, or at least it used to when I played there.

Just a quick note to tell you that Southend United supporters will be admitted to the festival at discount prices. See the Southend Cricket Festival 2012 website for details. Hope to see a few of your there - Brian

Agreed Lee, I'm get the right hump with this weather, it's hard to believe that the First Test against the WIndies is 9 days away. :angry:

Agreed Lee, I'm get the right hump with this weather, it's hard to believe that the First Test against the WIndies is 9 days away. :angry:

I know .. myself, stickboy and SUFCEssex are supposed to be going on the first day but seeing as its the day after the 2nd leg i'm not sure what state i'll be in

The Unicorns beat Kent today by 4 wickets at Canterbury, could be an interesting return fixture at Garon Park!

Back