• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Homeless

The closure and demolition of the old institutions would have saved a lot of the mental health and homeless issues, in my opinion, for many of those for who the two go hand in hand. It's all very well trying to get people to rehabilitate and to integrate but, for some people, they just cannot do so.

To provide a safe place to sleep shouldn't be beyond any Government, and the shame of this country is the vast number of uninhabited homes, flats and buildings which could be otherwise used to do exactly that. The fact that so many homeless here and in the States are people who have served their country in the military is an absolute disgrace.

Anyway, I've made my feelings known. Plenty of good posts from other users on here with great views which I completely agree with. I just think it's worth knowing that some people don't always feel sorry for homeless people because of the experiences they have personally had and I don't think that should be dismissed.

If I was a genuine homeless person who needed help, I would be so angry with the IMO 8 out 10 homeless people in southend highstreet and westcliff that are utter scum bags. It makes everyone think they are all the same. But, I won't agree this is the minority who are like this. I would say it is by far the majority, at least around Southend anyway.

I actually don’t think we’re too far away from each other Matty. Your second paragraph proves that. Yours is a natural reaction to an extreme group, maybe one that’s prevalent in the high street or high public areas. There will be ****s in all walks of life (some with good reason, some without) but it doesn’t mean we have an excuse to abandon the ones that aren’t. As you said, imagine how angry those 2/10 are. Only one sure fire way to make them even angrier.

The closure and demolition of the old institutions would have saved a lot of the mental health and homeless issues, in my opinion, for many of those for who the two go hand in hand. It's all very well trying to get people to rehabilitate and to integrate but, for some people, they just cannot do so.

To provide a safe place to sleep shouldn't be beyond any Government, and the shame of this country is the vast number of uninhabited homes, flats and buildings which could be otherwise used to do exactly that. The fact that so many homeless here and in the States are people who have served their country in the military is an absolute disgrace.

That is so true Kay, they are dumped now to fight for themselves,..far to many sick people are told the same...How is it in this day and age we cannot help those than cannot help themselves......Druggies I have no time for at all. They will make every excuse in the world.

I know a guy on welfare who constants moans he has every illness in the world but gets £200 a week and gets his council flat paid for, which he spends mostly on drugs, and says it isnt fair he has to get up at 10am and needs more money to survive..well **** off to that type..

People who actually need help, should be given every chance, but sometimes it starts at home....

Want to be a better person...start being one from the grass routes up..it is suprising what you put out there that comes back in droves.

Help should always be given to those unfortunate that are unable.

Majority of homeless in London appear to be ex-Forces. I thought the "right" would want to help those who have served our country?

It's a tough one anyway - but look at how Finland manages: https://www.theguardian.com/housing...d-solved-homelessness-eu-crisis-housing-first

Nice idea Napster, If people don't have a home then build them one. Finland only have about 5m people though.

We need to built a town the size of Bristol every year just to keep up. So the homeless problem is only going to increase.

Nice idea Napster, If people don't have a home then build them one. Finland only have about 5m people though.

We need to built a town the size of Bristol every year just to keep up. So the homeless problem is only going to increase.

I don't deny there is a problem but that just sounds wrong, can you provide evidence for this claim?

Majority of homeless in London appear to be ex-Forces. I thought the "right" would want to help those who have served our country?

I would suggest that that is a problem which our government(s) should have dealt with, when prioritising who deserves temporary/emergency accommodation.

FWIW, the housing problem in London comes down to a few things; the influx of people moving into London, the general cost of living in London, and the lack of property development.

In short, the infrastructure cannot support the current tide.

Good post sir. My only concern would be the piece in bold as I don’t think it’s true. I fundamentally believe you can’t allow a minority of extremely set individuals from any walk to typecast the majority. That’s obviously ludicrous (lefties, righties, Muslims, Christians, whoever). If people need convincing of that as you say, then we’re already past the tipping point - for whatever reason that is.

But it's easily proven as true, as demonstrated in this thread, aswell as the wider world.

Humans are prejudiced. They always have been, and always will be. I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's true. And to help those who truly need it, you have to break down those predjudicial barriers first. Unfortunately, your concern about being past the tipping point, is probably already a reality. That might be seen as a bleak view, but that is the reality of the situation TBH, and probably the very reason why more people don't volunteer, donate or contribute towards helping the homeless.

Individual anecdotes will always sway opinions, but any action needs to be balanced whether its agenda is right leaning or left. The challenge we have as a nation is how to weed out the cancer without harming the rest of the body beyond repair. That means firm action is strongly required, but it needs to hit the right target.

Agreed. I'm not sure how you go about doing it though. It would be nice to round up all the plonky's, skag heads & degenerates & relocate them to a single place/area, where they can do as they please, without affecting those in genuine need, and the rest of the population.

Although I can hear it now, the unequivocal sound of humanitarians screaming slogans such as internment camps & new Hitler.

I don't deny there is a problem but that just sounds wrong, can you provide evidence for this claim?

Bristol is a city of about 400,000....So If the population increases by 400,000 in a year.

Just read the latest figures and last year was the lowest net migration for a while....Plus 90,000... Brexit may be partly the reason. Not sure what the birth rate was last year.

What is never mentioned are the illegal immigrants and those who remain off the radar that aren't counted but do add pressure to the housing crisis. Not just London but here in Southend for example the official figures are about 165,000 but we have about 185,000 registered with GP's etc.

The government refuse to acknowledge the extra 20,000 and don't give us any extra from central funds. Obviously the housing stock in the borough means its easier to hide people than say a town like Billericay. Those that live off the radar are more likely to use the various public services or be involved with things like begging in the High street.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall the ONS stating that the growth of our population is an average 0.8% every year, since 2005. Thats roughly 500,000 people joining us every year. Bristol's population is 400,000

Edit: just checked, and the ONS figures are what I've quoted above. 62% of that 0.8% growth, is down to Immigration.

What is never mentioned are the illegal immigrants and those who remain off the radar that aren't counted but do add pressure to the housing crisis. Not just London but here in Southend for example the official figures are about 165,000 but we have about 185,000 registered with GP's etc.

Good point. As its topical, look at Grenfell. The amount of illegal immigrants living there is uncalculable, hence why so many recovered bodies cannot be identified.

And that's just one tower block.

Good point. As its topical, look at Grenfell. The amount of illegal immigrants living there is uncalculable, hence why so many recovered bodies cannot be identified.

And that's just one tower block.

Lots of people sub let, or in some cases sub let to an illegal landlord who then sublets to up to 20 people in one house sleeping in shifts. They will never admit this so maybe some victims wont ever be identified.

As some lowlifes have already found out to their cost, after falsely claiming they lost family members... Even after a fire that intense there will always be enough to identify via DNA who was really in there

But it's easily proven as true, as demonstrated in this thread, aswell as the wider world.

Given there’s only about 30 people posting in this thread, it doesn’t prove anything especially if we’re debating widely held views versus a vocal minority. We’re on the same page though in terms of tackling prejudices as I’ve argued from the start.

For me, it’s simple. Separate those acting legally from those acting illegally. That’s a prejudice we can all surely subscribe to and it tackles homeless people who are demanding money with menaces but without tarring all of them with the same brush.

I am in horror, rather dispair about how some treat others... (There but for the grace of God go I)

Have some Empathy for the Homeless.

How very true, a lot a people in this country are only a few payslips away from being homeless.

Given there’s only about 30 people posting in this thread, it doesn’t prove anything especially if we’re debating widely held views versus a vocal minority. We’re on the same page though in terms of tackling prejudices as I’ve argued from the start.

For me, it’s simple. Separate those acting legally from those acting illegally. That’s a prejudice we can all surely subscribe to and it tackles homeless people who are demanding money with menaces but without tarring all of them with the same brush.

Unfortunately that is never going to happen, the people who decide on police priorities don't have the money, resources and most of all, the political balls to do anything ever. Matty is being generous when he says 20% in Southend are genuine. The lack of any police action means every wrong'un from Southend and beyond can have a get out of jail free card because...... "Don't be to harsh, their homeless and have issues"

I have invested a lot of money and effort into a small business in Southend. Her Ladyship runs it and is in charge but we are targeted because its mainly women and women on reception. Every small business suffers the same problem. Our next door neighbours own a shop and they use the code words "Our friends have arrived" when they enter.

Another friend has a hair dressers and people have walked in and stole customers hand bags and casually walked out. Even my own barber has been robbed in broad daylight. Police may attend a few days later.

I have changed locks spent a fortune on CCTV because one person in particular has targeted us. He recently was sentenced to 12 months for stealing charity boxes amongst other things, it was in the Echo.... He will be out by now.

So I have to be on call with the girls on reception....They have a code phrase to let me know if he comes in. I also have others on stand by when I'm not around, including some who would be known by quite a few on here.

For reasons I won't go into his last 'visit' caused a major concern for me and her Ladyship. Neither myself or her family will no longer let her and the other girls suffer so I we will be sorting it and I will take full responsibility if it ever gets to court.

Sorry if that's to right wing for a few of you but until you have been a victim, or witnessed the misery and fear these people can cause you will never understand.

And no this is not me acting all hard, I just know there are others out there like Matty who have had to live with this s*** on a daily/weekly basis and they know that reporting it gets you know where in fact being treated like a nuisance makes you feel worse.

Prejudice CAN actually be a wonderful thing in the right circumstances if it drives the right action and targets the right people. But raw prejudice based on the actions of individuals is ridiculous.

Agreed in full.

FWIW, this government, along with previous governments have done nothing to quell the situation, and it has subsequently spiralled out of control, to the point where it seems irrevocable now.

Unfortunately, it's a web of deceit & skull duggery, which has been going on for ages, which has lead us to this point. And for years, us pawns have argued the toss over trivial parts of that web , while those in power laugh all the way to the bank.

How very true, a lot a people in this country are only a few payslips away from being homeless.

Sadly very true. Although a lot of those people still don't actually realise this.

Prejudice CAN actually be a wonderful thing in the right circumstances if it drives the right action and targets the right people. But raw prejudice based on the actions of individuals is ridiculous.

When I say illegal landlords. I mean they have no planning permission for an HMO and have dangerously divided up property with no fire alarms etc.

Seeing as I am a Landlord and spent 27 years in the LFB. I've rescued people from such places, fitted alarms in such places for frightened immigrants who are to scared to complain because they know the spineless council will do nothing other than anger their landlord. I have helped prosecute such people....One even threaten to play the race card against me in court....
I think that makes me entitled to comment........Because guess what I'm prejudice against such scum bags.

Maybe others should try listening to some of us without prejudice and labelling us right wing etc.:winking:

Last edited:
When I say illegal landlords. I mean they have no planning permission for an HMO and have dangerously divided up property with no fire alarms etc.

Seeing as I am a Landlord and spent 27 years in the LFB. I've rescued people from such places, fitted alarms in such places for frightened immigrants who are to scared to complain because they know the spineless council will do nothing other than anger their landlord. I have helped prosecute such people....One even threaten to play the race card against me in court....
I think that makes me entitled to comment........Because guess what I'm prejudice against such scum bags.

Maybe you should try listening to some of us without prejudice and labelling us right wing etc.:winking:

Sometimes things go above and beyond politics and, with your background, you're clearly talking from experience. I do think that we sometimes need to declare ourselves apolitical at times (if there were such a word) - on this occasion, I think that's what you're trying to be.

Back