• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Southend only news.

So I had to go and get my medication yesterday, and went down Sutton Road and 2 shops have re-opened. One was the baker/cake shop, and almost opposite the Chicken Inn takeaway. The baker is not essential, as you can get bread anywhere, and even opposite in the corner shop. The takeaway? And then when going down Hamstel Road, the Kebab shop has re-opened. What's going on? Maybe they have opened in desperation to save their businesses.
Quite a few takeaways of all types are still open. They did not have to close. I don't think bakers had to close either.

Quite a few takeaways of all types are still open. They did not have to close. I don't think bakers had to close either.

I'm talking about them re-opening. I'm not talking about the few takeaways that have stayed open, and there's not many that have stayed open in Southend. That baker has been closed about 5 or 6 weeks.

I'm talking about them re-opening. I'm not talking about the few takeaways that have stayed open, and there's not many that have stayed open in Southend. That baker has been closed about 5 or 6 weeks.
Ah right ok.
It's a bit like all the extra builders/painters/scaffolders/skip men etc that have all gone back to work this week. As you say they are all now trying to save their businesses. If that will increase the spread of the virus I'm not sure. Guess we will know in a few weeks time.

Ah right ok.
It's a bit like all the extra builders/painters/scaffolders/skip men etc that have all gone back to work this week. As you say they are all now trying to save their businesses. If that will increase the spread of the virus I'm not sure. Guess we will know in a few weeks time.

But none of these types of workers have been stopped from working since the start of this pandemic. I asusme most of them either didn't want to go to work or were unable to get the required supplies etc to carry out their work.

The only reason you shouldn't go to work is if you can do your job from home, tradespeople obviously can't.

But none of these types of workers have been stopped from working since the start of this pandemic. I asusme most of them either didn't want to go to work or were unable to get the required supplies etc to carry out their work.

The only reason you shouldn't go to work is if you can do your job from home, tradespeople obviously can't.
Yep in England they can carry on if safe to do so by following the social distancing guidelines, if that is not possible they should consider if that activity needs to continue.

In Scotland I think they can only carry on only if the activity is related to helping against the virus, like working at a new hospital. Not sure about Wales and Northern Ireland.

So I had to go and get my medication yesterday, and went down Sutton Road and 2 shops have re-opened. One was the baker/cake shop, and almost opposite the Chicken Inn takeaway. The baker is not essential, as you can get bread anywhere, and even opposite in the corner shop. The takeaway? And then when going down Hamstel Road, the Kebab shop has re-opened. What's going on? Maybe they have opened in desperation to save their businesses.

The self service car wash in Sutton Road, next to Stock Road has just re-opened after being shut about 5 weeks. A friend told me on the phone that he drove past Aldi near Priory park yesterday, and the car wash next door with the owner operating and taking the money, has opened back up. There seems to be a little spurt of small businesses opening up, despite nothing having changed in the lockdown. In fact, there are lots of people, MPs included, who want to tighten up the lockdown even more by calling on The Range and Argos to close down.

My local Chinese is closed. God I miss it. Had a Chinese elsewhere which was awful and made me miss it even more

Surely a bakers is a essential business (bread is essential food), I am surprised they closed in Sutton Road, the bakers in Rochford (Upper Crust) has been open all the time but closed the cafe part.
What's the difference in a corner shop and a Bakers being essential!!

A side issue, the greengrocer at Rochford Market on a Tuesday, has been there every week, but yesterday the food stall (caned food, soft drinks etc) and the stall that stocks cleaning products cloth's etc. Re-opened. Too me that is essential. They should be there, yes they were making sure Social Distancing.

Ha!Doesnt' sound like your medication was too successful. :Winking:

Thought food shops were allowed to open anyway? (They are here in Spain).

Ha!Doesnt' sound like your medication was too successful. :Winking:

Thought food shops were allowed to open anyway? (They are here in Spain).

I'm talking about shops and car washes suddenly re-opening this week after being shut for over 5 weeks. It's like we're coming out of lockdown, but we're not. I'm trying to work out why they are suddenly re-opening, or if anyone on here has any idea or knowledge as to why? Because according to the latest here, they are talking about tightening up things, and depending if possible regarding supplies, we may even be told to wear masks when out.

Bakery at the top of the Broadway in Leigh was initially open (and busy) but they closed a while ago, maybe a decision by the family rather than being forced to close.Home & Car was still open the other day as was Harrison’s butcher, next to the bakery.
I’m not personally aware of any change in Govt stance which would lead to car washes opening other than the staff needing cash and not being able to get help through any of the channels available. Let’s see whether anyone forces them to shut..

Bakery at the top of the Broadway in Leigh was initially open (and busy) but they closed a while ago, maybe a decision by the family rather than being forced to close.Home & Car was still open the other day as was Harrison’s butcher, next to the bakery.
I’m not personally aware of any change in Govt stance which would lead to car washes opening other than the staff needing cash and not being able to get help through any of the channels available. Let’s see whether anyone forces them to shut..
With the car wash nr Priory Crescent that may well be the case, they are all Kosovan there (not Albanian or other Eastern/Balkan) and may well be outside of the systems safety nets.

With the car wash nr Priory Crescent that may well be the case, they are all Kosovan there (not Albanian or other Eastern/Balkan) and may well be outside of the systems safety nets.

That car wash has been open for the last few weeks anyway, was certainly open on the last few Saturdays I've driven past.

Yep in England they can carry on if safe to do so by following the social distancing guidelines, if that is not possible they should consider if that activity needs to continue.

In Scotland I think they can only carry on only if the activity is related to helping against the virus, like working at a new hospital. Not sure about Wales and Northern Ireland.
Yes your comment about construction work in Scotland is 100% correct. Generally it seems to me that everything up here in Scotland is stricter and it appears that the vast majority are sticking to the rules which is quite reassuring however idiots exist everywhere. Stay safe all fellow Shrimpers........

I'm talking about shops and car washes suddenly re-opening this week after being shut for over 5 weeks. It's like we're coming out of lockdown, but we're not. I'm trying to work out why they are suddenly re-opening, or if anyone on here has any idea or knowledge as to why? Because according to the latest here, they are talking about tightening up things, and depending if possible regarding supplies, we may even be told to wear masks when out.

That car wash has been open for the last few weeks anyway, was certainly open on the last few Saturdays I've driven past.

Obviously bang out of order (but perhaps understandable in the circumstances).

My friend lives almost opposite. Just spoke to him on the phone, he said they have been open the last 2 Saturdays, but reduced hours. But now open every day this week.

Know how you feel, could kill for fried bat and noodles.

Yep, would be lovely.
Was chatting to a friend recently though and he was suggesting that once ( if ? ) we go back to some form of normality, Chinese restaurants may suffer due to peoples perception of the virus start point etc
I initially thought this was rubbish, but you never know.....
It got me thinking along similar lines with Corona beer , but I actually think with some clever marketing they can turn it into a positive.

God I need to get out more

Back