• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Phoenix

What would do it (or not do it) for me is playing somewhere else or groundsharing. Yes the fans would be the same, club colours etc but not going to the Hall, which granted has seen much better days - but is home - it would not feel the same, not at all. However .... the idea of starting afresh away from Ron's clutches does appeal in many ways. Let's hope it never comes to this.

If I remember correctly when I started my playing days many many moons ago, there was a club in the Southend Borough Combination called Southend Phoenix, played at Eastwoodbury Lane, as it then was, on the sloping pitch behind the main pitch !

If I remember correctly when I started my playing days many many moons ago, there was a club in the Southend Borough Combination called Southend Phoenix, played at Eastwoodbury Lane, as it then was, on the sloping pitch behind the main pitch !
That was a Saturday league as well if my memory serves me right. Destination Essex Senior League and onto the Olympian and Isthmians !

Last edited:
this thread was about the preparations and how far along everything is, but fair enough it's gone philosophical. for me, it's about community. if I have to start from a blank slate the questions are what is my local team? Can I walk to the ground? etc
so my team is my team in my community. ironically, I'm a Southend fan but my local team is Peckham Town (for now)

I used to play for them and ironically Gary Lockett played in goal, think it started as an old police team

It’s an interesting question

To me it might make a difference (both ways) on what exactly we were getting.

Ie
If we still had roots hall and we still had the same management team , new owners and kept our players then it would be ‘ buisness as usual’ just a different name.

If we lost roots hall it would be different, if we lost roots hall, players, management team it would be different again.

Reactions: jnl
Southend Phoenix AFC sounds good to me
If it's Southend Phoenix (not United) does it need to be AFC or can it just be Southend Phoenix FC?

I always thought clubs used AFC so they can use most of their original name with the slightest of changes. CFC seems to be more popular these days.

If it's Southend Phoenix (not United) does it need to be AFC or can it just be Southend Phoenix FC?

I always thought clubs used AFC so they can use most of their original name with the slightest of changes. CFC seems to be more popular these days.
TBH, it could be Southend Phoenix NFC

If it came to it, keep the name as close to the original club as possible. Southend United AFC or similar.

Back