• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Rugby CLub

Southend rugby club won last night in the Eastern counties cup at home to brentwood without getting a point scored against them. Southend won 59-0 with a great performance from old boy Kevin Harman and Kiwi Mac Smith who was involved in every try!

Well done SRFC now lets beat North Walsham

Thats rubbish!
tounge.gif

thats why you lot only beat canvey 3-2 i think scoring 59 points is a bit better than winning 3-2 and this team we played are also top or their leagu

It's not that surprising, though, if you compare the set-ups between the two clubs. I've played at both through the years and I know which club is geared for semi-pro and maybe professional rugby and which is more closely connected to amateur status.

You can't knock a 59-0 win but it's not a real test of how good Southend are or what their chances of winning the cup are. A very useful training session though.

And bloody hell, Kevin Harman was knocking around when I was still at school!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (east stand drummer boy @ Dec. 18 2003,18:25)]thats why you lot only beat canvey 3-2 i think scoring 59 points is a bit better than winning 3-2 and this team we played are also top or their leagu
So should we have beaten Canvey 59-0 then?

Funnily enough, Andy, there are some people who like rugby more than just for a few weeks every 4 years.

It seems to be a typical - and depressing - attitude amongst a lot of football fans that rugby is some sort of rival and are duty bound to dislike it.

Having played and watched both sports I find them equally enjoyable overall. And as this is the pub forum, it doesn't seem a bad place for people to have a chat about it.

Yeah their are people who like rugby for more than 4 yeats but also they like football yeah and kevin is a proper old boy but groyne do u no someone called kiwi (richard) if you have played at srfc

No, I played for Basildon sporadically in the 80's and 90's until I done a 'Gazza' on my knee and screwed up all the ligaments and cartlidge
rock.gif
I did make it to Essex Colts in my youth but wasn't prepared to do all the necessary training. For me it was social even though I made many first team matches.

We didn't play Southend that regularly and they always beat us but it was always competitive - Southend never stuffed us - and we got on great in the clubhouse.

Indeed, during the World Cup 1999 Basildon, Southend and Westcliff all met up in a small bar near the Gard du Nord station in Paris on a Saturday night and never slept until the Monday. It's just as well we made the most of it considering England's dire performance on the Sunday. Substituting fly-halves 10 minutes into the second half? What the f**k was Woody thinking of?
rock.gif

I think it's fair to say that most rugby players also follow a football team and go to the odd game. They certainly don't have a chip on their shoulder about football that a lot of football fans seem to have about rugby.

There's a good thing going at Southend. If they stay up and consolidate that's progress. I don't see any reason whyn they can't make it into Division 2 at some point. Premiership / Division 1 is way out of reach I think, you need serious money to even raise a scratch team in those divisions. But there's no reason why Southend can't flourish in the Second.

And good luck at North Walsham. In my playing days that was a tough old place to visit.

Yeah i agree on the money thing because to be in div 1 you need at least 3,000 seats around the ground and we only have about 50! but we have a bit of money at the mo our main club sponsor that has given us 750,000k

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Groyne Strain @ Dec. 18 2003,20:43)]Funnily enough, Andy, there are some people who like rugby more than just for a few weeks every 4 years.

It seems to be a typical - and depressing - attitude amongst a lot of football fans that rugby is some sort of rival and are duty bound to dislike it.

Having played and watched both sports I find them equally enjoyable overall.  And as this is the pub forum, it doesn't seem a bad place for people to have a chat about it.
Blimey, chill!. I was actually joking. We really do need our sarcasm smiley back.
wink.gif

I'm not personally into Rugby and i do find it slightly annoying that everyone seems to have jumped on to the Rugby bandwagon at the moment. Lets be honest, how many of all these people who are 'so into Rugby' at the moment, will be in 6 months time?.

My judgement is slightly clouded i suppose by the fact that throughout my senior school life, i was forced to play Rugby. Out of spite, our P.E teachers made the whole year play Rugby for 3/4 of the school year despite the fact that the everybody, with the exception of 4 or 5 'bully' types who liked feeling tough (and were cr*p at football), wanted to play Football. The fact that i'm 6'2 and was one of quickest sprinters in the year meant that i wasn't that bad at it and i didn't have that tougher time avoiding being clobbered like others, but, i, like, everyone else, loved football and wanted to play that, so Rugby didn't exactly get us that hyped up about doing P.E. The teachers even forced us to roll around in the mud just for good measure. Teachers eh?, what b*stards!.
mad.gif
wink.gif

I think PE teachers are best left for another thread. It is a prerequisite of the job that they have to be total psychos. Particularly when you get the better of them at Murderball.

My PE teachers were Chris Dismore and Chris Bennett and form tutor Gary Walker, all good solid Rochford players. Also taught by Ally Lawson and Dai Evans of Basildon, the latter a genius of a scrum half at times. I was well grounded in the game at school.

Funny but my father played for England in the 50's but in no way did he influence me. Took me to my first Southend United game and that and said I didn't have to play rugby just because he did. I simply enjoyed it.

The point about England's world Cup triumph is that people WILL, in 6 months time, be talking about it. The team have captured the imagination of the media as well as the public and that is 90% of the battle. We are worthy and deserved World Champions and the upsurge in public interest will last simply that fact alone.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Dec. 19 2003,12:24)]our P.E teachers made the whole year play Rugby for 3/4 of the school year despite the fact that the everybody, with the exception of 4 or 5 'bully' types who liked feeling tough (and were cr*p at football), wanted to play Football.
shouldnt it say wanted to play rugby

[b said:
Quote[/b] (east stand drummer boy @ Dec. 19 2003,15:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Dec. 19 2003,12:24)]our P.E teachers made the whole year play Rugby for 3/4 of the school year despite the fact that the everybody, with the exception of 4 or 5 'bully' types who liked feeling tough (and were cr*p at football), wanted to play Football.
No.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Dec. 19 2003,15:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (east stand drummer boy @ Dec. 19 2003,15:51)]
[b said:
No.
Ditto.
wink.gif

Back