• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm sorry , but as hacked off as I am with a third consequtive 0-0 at home , PB started with 3-5-2 due to lack of defenders and never went with less than 1 up ( that's for you Mrs B as you failed to support again. ).
With the defenders he had , he needed Deegan and Leonard but I thought the 4 other forward payers busted a gut and gave it a go against a good team.
2-3 very good saves by their goalie and Bentley had nothing of note to do.
ffs some of you on here are real doom mongers and seem to want us to fail.
Go and support someone else or get down to the Hall and give our boys support.
yep. , far from great , but if we are , then Plymouth have big problems.

well done brown , made the best of what u had today.

Bentley made 2 good saves after mistakes from our players in the first half. Without Bentley today we would have been dead and buried before half time

do you think we are man utd
Nobody thinks we are Man U that's for sure, I for one just wanna see some goals.. Is that too much to ask? Also this is a forum for discussion on Southend utd.. If your into the whole trolling thing there are plenty of other websites that u can go on and act the big man behind your laptop.

Clean sheets must be orgasmic!! Shocked everyone by starting with 3-5-2, problem being it shocked us more than them. To push for a winner brings on the prolific Weston upfront for Payne and then Atkinson for Coulthirst. Classic, I thought he might show the guts to go with Williams and Clifford, but what do us plebs Know? 14 more shots , only 5 on target and one of them was Coulthirst ( who played well in the main ) rolling the ball to their keeper with Payne and Pigot either side of him. 8 corners in the second half. Opportunities spurned and wrong decisions taken at critical times, Cant wait to hear Phils next load of verbiage served up on a great point gained , while Burton go 8 points clear, and Wycome 9!

looking at the starting line-up, there are not many goals between those players and its shows today. Plymouth were much better in the first half and could have been up at HT but Southend came back in it 2nd half. Have we ever had 3 successive 0-0 home draws?

I've gone back to the 1980-81 season and not seen any instance of this.

Nobody thinks we are Man U that's for sure, I for one just wanna see some goals.. Is that too much to ask? Also this is a forum for discussion on Southend utd.. If your into the whole trolling thing there are plenty of other websites that u can go on and act the big man behind your laptop.

If you go to Roots Hall there are people who howl abuse at players constantly - and an increasing number of them. They DO think they are watching Man U - they very clearly don't understand it's league 2 football and the players on show can't do what Premier League players can do.

I find it extraordinary Phil Brown continues to exclude Conor Clifford from mid-field and never even brings him on as a late substitute when the failings of the current mid-field line up are all too obvious. Southend's mid-field is crying out for a combative player who can score goals.

Weren't there rumours of a falling out between them?

If you go to Roots Hall there are people who howl abuse at players constantly - and an increasing number of them. They DO think they are watching Man U - they very clearly don't understand it's league 2 football and the players on show can't do what Premier League players can do.

Is it too much to ask them to score a goal now and again though? They are professional footballers after all

I applaud the fans who go to the home games every other week and suffer not seeing goals by us. I gave up going ages ago, I want to go but the thought of a sterile strike force does just not inspire me.

Barratt would have made the difference today and nodded home from one of our 8 corners or caused havoc in their Box?

I normally make myself a promise not to comment on matches on the day of the game. That promise does not apply to you. You are totally obnoxious little muppet, go away unless you have something worth saying.

Very frustrating....lenny and Payne have to be dug out today...awful....that aside as team we do so much right but can not score for love nor money...aaaaarrrrrggghhh.

Another frustrating afternoon all round as we didn't play terribly, but just don't look like scoring. Bringing Williams back from Chelmsford was a total waste of time when he clearly doesn't want to play him. Pigott comes in and goes straight into the side ahead of him, Coulthirst wasn't very good at all and gets minutes ahead of him, then to top it off he brings on Weston and Atkinson over Williams when we needed a goal. I'd be a bit ****ed off if I were Williams in all honesty.

Bentley 7 - not an awful lot to do but dealt with what was asked of him.
White 6 - solid enough performance.
Thompson 5 - looked a real liability today and could have cost us a goal on a few occasions.
Coker 7 - got forward well and got some good crosses in, as well as some good defending when necessary.
Leonard 6 - did some good stuff and some not so good stuff. Doesn't seem in great form at the moment.
Deegan 9 - MOTM and clear stand out player for me. Loved everything about his performance today. Was a ruthless Roy Keane type performance, won the ball and got in their faces all game. He exchanged some strong words with their number 2 and you could tell Deegan intimidated him. A real horrible ******* to play against today and never stopped organising and working.
Worrall 7 - some good driving runs into the box and provided a great cross for one of our best chances of the game.
Payne 6 - his close control with the ball is fantastic to watch and his dribbling and will to get forward was great, but sadly lacked the end product today.
Binnom-Williams 6 - wasn't brilliant but wasn't awful. Was solid enough when dropped into defence in the second half.
Coulthirst 5 - frustrating to watch. Gets into good positions but just can't finish a bag of crisps.
Pigott 6 - good header in the first half which could have crept in and had some good moments, but largely absent.

Weston 6 - did alright and tried to make something happen.
Atkinson N/A - not really on long enough to justify a rating.

If we don't sign Adam Barrett and a real top striker (of the Tubbs calibre) soon then I fear we'll get left behind by the chasing pack when they kick on and we continue treading water.

Last edited:
Ok rootshallbloke what's wrong with getting the ump with people having a pop all the time?? We are not getting the scores we a want but stil not loosing, not ideal but there's alwYs next week and also you don't know me, but be at oxford and pompy because I'm a supporter!!

I quite liked the 3-5-2 we started with, but as PB soon worked out, Williams and Coker were the wrong way round. Yes, it was a brave move, but when Williams went into CB, we seemed to switch to 4-4-2. Payne was then seeing much less of the ball in dangerous areas.
Bentley 7.. Not much to do. Made one important save with his feet.
White 6.5 Solid, but a bit hoofy. Had a 50p head on today
Thompson 7... Busted a gut when we were playing 3 at the back. Solid overall
Williams 6.5.. Ok
Coker 6.5...Ok. One slip up near the end
Worral 6...Delivery wasn't very good, but ran his socks off
Leonard 6...Always puts a shift in, but passing was a bit wayward today
Deegan 7.5 (My MOTM). Like a tiger in the holding position. Sort of player you'd hate to play against.
Payne 6.5 Got into some good areas, and tried to make things happen. Pushed off the ball a bit.
Coulthirst 6 Was better playing down the middle at the start. Didn't take 2 good chances. He will be assessed by his goals ratio, though
Pigott 7...Big lad, playing the Corr role. Did well I thought. Looks a good young player
Subs : Weston 7...Looked quick and lively.
Atkinson...6.5 Wasn't on long

Ok rootshallbloke what's wrong with getting the ump with people having a pop all the time?? We are not getting the scores we a want but stil not loosing, not ideal but there's alwYs next week and also you don't know me, but be at oxford and pompy because I'm a supporter!!

I agree, and now you are contributing something a bit more worthwhile than your original post and therefore worth reading.

Liked the look of the new lad Pigott, has a nice touch and looks to play good football. Unfortunately almost all of our chances fell to Coulthirst, who despite doing very well to get into goalscoring positions and create chances for himself, just can't seem to finish. Very frustrating result but by no means a terrible performance in my opinion.

Credit to Williams for moving in to the middle of the defence and doing a decent job, would be nice to sign Barrett to fill that position though!

Back