• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Oh, and can one of our resident experts please explain how, when the play was stopped with us on the attack, for a head injury to one of their players, it was restarted with a dropped ball for them to kick back to Oxley?

When play is stopped for a head injury with no offence committed, play is restarted with a dropped ball at the position the ball was when play was stopped.
Current practice is generally not to contest dropped balls but for one team to return possession to the team which would have had the ball, as happened in this case.

When play is stopped for a head injury with no offence committed, play is restarted with a dropped ball at the position the ball was when play was stopped.
Current practice is generally not to contest dropped balls but for one team to return possession to the team which would have had the ball, as happened in this case.

Thank you, it's a bloody ridiculous scenario!

Its ok neither have I.

I'm all for women coming along to football but they do look at things from a different perspective than us lads

Haha, what do you mean? I've not mentioned bums or thighs at all here!!! :hilarious:

The current batch of injuries has forced Brown to make changes he would never think of making and that is a very good thing. I think sometimes things get stale but unless changes are forced, nothing changes

Oxley has really turned it around. Much better this season, with some real quality saves
Hendrie, whether injured or not just doesn't seem to be at the races, positioning not great and slow to react to situations
Lenny was that good that I'd probably rate him one of the best CB's we have and would happily see him there every game.
Kyprianou played out of position and again looked better than a lot what we have seen at CB this season.
Elvis is a breath of fresh air, grabbed his chance superbly and if Brown puts Demi back into RB next week it will be a massive injustice. Elvis is just 17, let that sink in for a minute.
Timlin was better when moved to LB. At CM,Couldn't pass for toffee today, poor from him
Kightly isn't a CM as today showed.
McGlashan, for all his pace and running has no final ball
McLaughlin was the pick of the midfield today from the starting 11
Cox flatters to deceive
Fortune has good skills, strong on the ball but nothing doing for him today

Subs
Ranger made a massive difference when he came on. Wining headers, holding the ball up, neat interplay between him and Dru. We have missed Ranger big time
Yearwood has something special about him. His first touch was a sweet diagonal ball out to the right wing. Second touch was a bit heavy but he has the knack of making the ball stick to him. Went on a mazy run through the middle, feigned movement left and right and the Rochdale players has no clue. He is a strong lad too
Robinson was typical Robinson. Ran a lot but offered little

Pitch cut up big time again, but it's the same for both teams.
Rochdale are a dirty and nasty team and the red card was well deserved.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Elvis, Dru, Kyprianou, Ranger and Lenny at CB please

"Ranger made a massive difference when he came on. Winning headers"

...but where to? No good just heading it on to a defender.

First things first we didn't deserve the 3 points today. We did against Plymouth and at Gills but today we never came close to testing their keeper apart from the penalty. Yes they got some good blocks in but yet again there was no quality on the set pieces or crossing. Their keeper grew in confidence with every nice and easy floaty cross he had to deal with.

On the plus side some good home league debuts for Elvis, Kyp, Dru and that new CB looked promising. Read the game well and has good pace.....I think they call him Lenny. Yes its not the toughest game they will ever play in but they kept a clean sheet :thumbsup:

Well done to most of you in the East Stand. The ref only showed the first yellow after we all piped up and he certainly had no intention of giving us even a free kick, let alone a red, until we reacted. Shame some booed Robinson coming on and disgracefully some even booed young Dru when his name was announced.

I have been critical of MAF in some games as he has to have the ball right in his bread basket to be effective. I think Ranger showed enough to prove my point, so I'm pleased it won't be Christmas, as some claimed, before he pays back his debt to SUFC and us fans.....Fingers crossed so don't lest us down Nile.

Lots of us thought Kightly might shine in the middle but that didn't work for him today, shame because he played well at Gills.

Overall it was scrappy and we never had that zip. It wasn't just the passing, unlike the Blackburn game our players weren't moving off the ball sharp enough in their 3rd. Forget team talks and statements in the press only goals take the pressure off. So at the moment we are in a chicken and egg scenario as a team.

Even PB is obviously feeling it, looking at some of his reactions today. Still at least he took it out on various fixture and fittings around the technical area rather than the fourth official.

Another plus is we didn't lose a second half toady. In case you hadn't noticed we have lost all 6 so far this season.

Yes its tough week away next but lets hope we have turned our traditional slow start corner. With important players coming back and some young lads banging on the door we still have plenty to play for. Me, I'm looking forward to my day out next Saturday. Greenwich is great place for beers so make the effort if you can. :thumbsup:

First things first we didn't deserve the 3 points today. We did against Plymouth and at Gills but today we never came close to testing their keeper apart from the penalty. Yes they got some good blocks in but yet again there was no quality on the set pieces or crossing. Their keeper grew in confidence with every nice and easy floaty cross he had to deal with.

On the plus side some good home league debuts for Elvis, Kyp, Dru and that new CB looked promising. Read the game well and has good pace.....I think they call him Lenny. Yes its not the toughest game they will ever play in but they kept a clean sheet :thumbsup:

Well done to most of you in the East Stand. The ref only showed the first yellow after we all piped up and he certainly had no intention of giving us even a free kick, let alone a red, until we reacted. Shame some booed Robinson coming on and disgracefully some even booed young Dru when his name was announced.

I have been critical of MAF in some games as he has to have the ball right in his bread basket to be effective. I think Ranger showed enough to prove my point, so I'm pleased it won't be Christmas, as some claimed, before he pays back his debt to SUFC and us fans.....Fingers crossed so don't lest us down Nile.

Lots of us thought Kightly might shine in the middle but that didn't work for him today, shame because he played well at Gills.

Overall it was scrappy and we never had that zip. It wasn't just the passing, unlike the Blackburn game our players weren't moving off the ball sharp enough in their 3rd. Forget team talks and statements in the press only goals take the pressure off. So at the moment we are in a chicken and egg scenario as a team.

Even PB is obviously feeling it, looking at some of his reactions today. Still at least he took it out on various fixture and fittings around the technical area rather than the fourth official.

Another plus is we didn't lose a second half toady. In case you hadn't noticed we have lost all 6 so far this season.

Yes its tough week away next but lets hope we have turned our traditional slow start corner. With important players coming back and some young lads banging on the door we still have plenty to play for. Me, I'm looking forward to my day out next Saturday. Greenwich is great place for beers so make the effort if you can.

They weren't booing Dru, they were saying Druuuuuuu.

" some even booed young Dru when his name was announced."

No. Druuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Well done to most of you in the East Stand. The ref only showed the first yellow after we all piped up and he certainly had no intention of giving us even a free kick, let alone a red, until we reacted.
Nothing to do with the linesman who flagged as soon as the tackle was made and then told the ref to send him off? You've come up with some real tosh on here before but this might be the best yet.

Nothing to do with the linesman who flagged as soon as the tackle was made and then told the ref to send him off? You've come up with some real tosh on here before but this might be the best yet.

It was definitely the lino's call. And I also had to explain the "Druuuuuuu" shout that reverberated around the ground to those near me - hopefully someone will have warned him about it! :smile:

Ask any professional linesman and they will tell you the ref often ignores them if the ball is in play. Whatever you claim the crowd helped stop the game and make him approach the lino because the ref had a good view of the incident and did not react.

It was definitely the lino's call. And I also had to explain the "Druuuuuuu" shout that reverberated around the ground to those near me - hopefully someone will have warned him about it! :smile:
Yeah it did sound like booing. Reminded me of when Drewe Broughton was playing for us. Although thinking about it maybe people were booing Drewe!

They weren't booing Dru, they were saying Druuuuuuu.

" some even booed young Dru when his name was announced."

No. Druuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Yes your probably right. Picking up on Dannypav's post I probably paid to much attention to the idiot in the reds who had shouted abuse about everything. Even blaming PB for the state of the pitch.

Ask any professional linesman and they will tell you the ref often ignores them if the ball is in play. Whatever you claim the crowd helped stop the game and make him approach the lino because the ref had a good view of the incident and did not react.

I'd stop digging on this one.

Ian Cooper, the Assistant Referee was all over that challenge flagging immediately and furiously in a manner that just couldn't be ignored !

I'm inclined to agree that the first yellow was a result of crowd and bench reaction and strangely the referee had no intention of giving even a free-kick for either that challenge or the red card one.

I'm all for women coming along to football but they do look at things from a different perspective than us lads

Here is another women's perspective...

for me there were three critical and unexpected positives today -

1) we didn't lose.

i would have taken a 0-0 happily before the game, I was expecting us to lose by at least 2, so it was a bit of a revalation that we could have easily taken all 3 points.

2) we kept a clean sheet.

With such a patched up defence I thought it was inevitable that we would concede freely. Maybe we were lucky enough to be playing a very poor Rochdale side today, but that doesn't take anything away from the great work from the lads.

3) we gained a point and moved up the table!

There is also a whole heap of smaller positives, right across the park. These are:

Lenny! Was awesome today. Looked very comfortable out of position, led the line magnificently and was covering, encouraging and advising the others. Definately a credible centre half and captain, very glad we didn't lose him in the transfer window. My MOM.

Elvis - a young man with a very bright future. Definately held his own, wasn't bullied too much and visibly grew in confidence as the game progressed. Deserved the official MOM award, very good to see him get that recognition on his league debut in a very difficult set of circumstances.

kyprianou - huge leap forward since I last saw him play. Another lad with a bright future, could develop into another one of Ricky Duncan's young stars!

Ranger - looked in good shape, and whilst obviously not match fit yet he brought something special to the mix. Give him a couple more weeks and some more game time and he will be causing defences all sorts of issues. Hopefully he has learnt a lesson and won't be creating any of the other types of issues, time will tell!

Yearwood - another young revalation! I thought he did a great job as well, and he is another bright prospect.

Overall, with such talented youngsters coming through, and while they might not be completely ready yet, given time they will be able to offer something pretty special. Ranger will add some much needed support for Simon Cox, which will hopefully help his confidence and sort out the goal drought. Wordsworth should be back soon, so suddenly we have a lot more options. We will also get Demitriou back from his international duties, so no reason why he couldn't play in a midfield role with Elvis behind him at right back until some of the defence recover from their war wounds.

it wasn't the best game of football I have seen, but it was by no means the worst either! We definitely need to get back some confidence, particularly up top, we need to play Kightly wide, we need to use the flanks much more, we need to stop giving the ball away cheaply, and we definately need to do something urgently about the state of that pitch. That said, the positives outweighed the negatives for me, and I enjoyed the game today!

I'd stop digging on this one.

Ian Cooper, the Assistant Referee was all over that challenge flagging immediately and furiously in a manner that just couldn't be ignored !

I'm inclined to agree that the first yellow was a result of crowd and bench reaction and strangely the referee had no intention of giving even a free-kick for either that challenge or the red card one.

Yes he let first one go against McG, which meant the same player had a free go later on. In fairness he let Kyp off with one a few minutes later, in front of the family section over by the West.

I really find it strange how Ranger is held out as some kind of legend returning to the team.

He had half a dozen good performances last season but for me still has much to prove in dedication, commitment, fitness and consistency. He has undoubted skill but now needs to get properly fit and put in a run of games, whilst staying out of trouble, jury has got to be out!!

Leonard for me should get all the plaudits, played out of position, 2 days after transfer window closed after missing out on an opportunity to play at the top of the Championship with Sheffield Utd and played exceptionally with two youngsters either side.
A tru pro and fast turning into a Southend legend who would almost sneak into my all time Southend team of the last 30 years.

Elvis played exceptionally well for a 17 year old and looks a raw talent with lots of potential and stronger defensively then Demetriou.

Dru I really liked as well and once our defenders are back fit think him and Lenny could be a really good central midfield partnership.

I really find it strange how Ranger is held out as some kind of legend returning to the team.
Leonard for me should get all the plaudits, played out of position, 2 days after transfer window closed after missing out on an opportunity to play at the top of the Championship with Sheffield Utd and played exceptionally with two youngsters either side.
Ranger is a catalyst, his height and strength is vital, that's why he's important - and he feels welcome here, for the first time in some time, by the fans at least.

Totally agree on Lenny - see my match report comments on him!

Back