• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-0 Tranmere Rovers

We kept a clean sheet!!!! pretty happy about that. Thought we played a lot more no nonsense, especially Elvis who seems to have been told not to bugger about with it anymore.
Sound like a broken record but how is Milligan playing every week, we are basically playing with 10 men with him on there. Adds nothing.
Thought Mantom & Macca were superb today. Really got stuck in which was nice to see. Humphrys gave it away and lost the ball and I could see his team mates were frustrated with him. His head seemed to drop in the second half.
This team aren’t up to league one but today at least they gave it there all and we can’t really ask for more than that. If they do that every week it at least makes it a more bearable experience watching them.

Positives:
A clean sheet:Happy:
3 matches unbeaten :Happy:

We probably should have won (a la MK Dons), but at least there was some fight.

I pursuaded a couple of my mates to tag along, both support Prem teams. They picked out Elvis and Milligan as week links. When I gave them Milligan's history they thought I was joking!

Anyhow I might do some ratings tomorrow :Smile2:

First home game of the season. Agree with the general thrust of what has been said. The effort and closing down could not be faulted. The quality, especially in passing was, lacking, especially so where Monthe was clearly vulnerable to a ball slid behind him in the channels or over the top.
The really significant moments were the early escapes, especially when Milly gave it away, the brilliant block by Ox when a goal seemed certain, the miss by Humph from distance and the failure to award a pen when the giant keeper pushed Hopps.
Agree with OBL about our criminal waste of deadball situations. Failure to work the keeper from some very promising positions was shocking. And don't get me started on the atrocious corners, the last of which saw a low one easily cleared to Elvis who turned the ball into a back pass out for a corner. Thankfully our defenders were, once more, up to the task of saving the day. Dieng was outstanding, with Kiernan not far behind.
Interesting to see Clarkey and Woodyard again. Peter was solid and looks in great shape. Never afraid to find the roof of the stand when under pressure. Woodyard has filled out and was busy but not much else.
Difficult to see how these two very ordinary sides will not be facing off in Div 2 come August.

Ok so my observations below

- We were still in the game up till the last whistle
- We no longer roll over for teams and we give them a game now.
- Hopper and Humphrys just doesn’t work
- Good games for Macca, Mantom, Kiernan and Oxley.
- Kelman was like a man possessed after he came on. I’d have subbed Humphrys at HT.
- Ref was s**t and that was a pen (Hopper).
- Two free kicks on the edge of the box, first Macca takes a shot wide, second Milligan blazes over. Why didn’t we go for the top corner?
- Humphrys was too slow to everything. I like him, but his head seems elsewhere.
- Clean sheet - much needed
- Now in double figures
- Excellently observed and emotional minutes silence plus applause for Barks.

Agree with 99% of this but thought Kiernan was appalling.
I’d say Dieng was the best defender we had yesterday by some margin.

Worst game of the season from Elvis offered **** all. Another with his head elsewhere?

Best game since his debut from Milligan and he’s still ****e.

Definitely improved under Sol and we might even win next week

Worst game of the season from Elvis offered **** all. Another with his head elsewhere?

Compared to how Kiernan was playing earlier in the season he was good in my opinion but it’s a low bar. We kept a clean sheet, I’d say Kiernan, Dieng and White all did their job. Elvis .. agreed.

The point that was made to me yesterday was that we saw a game which will be typical of next season’s campaign.
On this showing we will not go into free fall and we should be pretty competitive
That is a relief given the messing about that has been taking place this past week

STEPHEN McLaughlin felt Southend United were not affected by their difficult build up to Saturday’s 0-0 draw with Tranmere Rovers.

More...

One or two random observations.

Quite emotional tribute to Chris Barker. The minute silence was superb.

Everyone appeared to give 100% effort.

We badly need Demitriou at right back (when we find a replacement in midfield) I am afraid Elvis does not cut it at the moment. Maybe his time will come.

Actually thought Milligan played quite well in the 2nd half, broke up some attacks and looked to play forward instead on backwards. Not sure why he had a go with the free kick though..

Kieran headed straight for the tunnel at full time without acknowledging anyone or the applause from the east stand. On the way out?

Cox is ‘officially’ injured, not actually injured.... really could have done with him out there.

The point that was made to me yesterday was that we saw a game which will be typical of next season’s campaign.
On this showing we will not go into free fall and we should be pretty competitive
That is a relief given the messing about that has been taking place this past week

Yes, as I said yesterday, I thought it was quite an entertaining, goaless 'League Two' game. Lots of effort and endeavour, unfortunately very little skill.

Regarding Elvis, this is one of the big reasons I don't like 5 at the back. As a wing back, you get stuck between deciding to go forward or stay back, and you have no cover.

It's ok if your playing a possession game, because you gradually work your way forward, but it's no good when the game is going back and forth!

Very true sosborne but I think it’s the so tragic ending of such a warrior, also he with others ( thanks PS ) got us back from the brink
Very true sosborne but I think it’s the so tragic ending of such a warrior, also he with others ( thanks PS ) got us back from the brink
Very true Steve , Barks was a great servant to the club and helped Southend through some bad times , he now joins the likes of Trevor Roberts , Joe Jacqes and Brian Albeson as great players for the club .

Humps and Hopper do not work together at all - today showed that, and seeing Coxy on the sidelines prior to kick off, his intelligence and ability to pick a pass would have benefited either of the other two.

Elvis was knackered within 20 minutes of the 2nd half starting, I don't believe the wing back system suits him. Also Macca, who is our most naturally gifted creator is wasted as a wing back and it cost our forwards, who spend far too much time wide.

Deadballs today, were shocking - corners and free kicks. Just dreadful. More work needed - and let's change up who takes them as Mantom was poor with them today.

Subs - too little, too late. Felt Kelman should have come on earlier, and that Hutch would have been a better choice in the middle. Sol clearly settled for a clean sheet and a point.

Positives today, well, the most obvious one was the way Roots Hall, the players, supporters and guests today carried out the tribute to our former captain. Made me so proud. Chris Barker, you will never be forgotten.

Second, a clean sheet at home in a league game - the first in a year! That's another monkey off our back.

Third, we're unbeaten in 2020. Little acorns and all that, but it has to be progress.

Oxley - 7, was quietly impressed with the Ox, he couldn't release the ball early too much, just needs to look at other options. Some great saves.
White - 7, solid and no nonsense, the JW we expect
Dieng - 7, one mistake aside, I thought he's looked good. Just needs to develop a bit of nastiness - which he could have picked up from watching Peter Clark!
Kiernan - 7.5, my MOTM, solid defensively and got forward on occasions, making a nuisance of himself
Bwomono - 6, not one of his better games, personally, I don't think wing back suits him
Milligan - 6.5, thought he was ok
Mantom - 7, again, thought he did ok except for the deadball stuff
Demetriou - 6, disappointed after previous performances
McLaughlin - 7, wasted, but worked hard
Hopper - 7, bullied and given no protection, far too wide too often
Humphrys - 6.5, couple of good, strong runs at defenders

Subs:
Kelman for Humps - 7, came on and looked interested, thought the game was set up for another number 23 to make their mark
Barratt for Demi - not on anywhere near long enough

Officials - shockingly awful when it mattered

Tranmere - Clark and Danns both showed that age is not a barrier when it comes to being niggly gits, and containing opposition players. didn't notice Alex Woodyward other than when he was falling over to gain free kicks.[/QUOTE].

That's funny I thought (watching on iFollow) that AW looked a ppretty useful player yesterday ,certainly a much better one than the youngster who used to play for us

Very true Steve , Barks was a great servant to the club and helped Southend through some bad times , he now joins the likes of Trevor Roberts , Joe Jacqes and Brian Albeson as great players for the club .

If your 3 at the back were JJ/Albeson/Barks the opposition forwards would know they'd been in a match by the end!

What people forget with Elvis is that he's still a kid learning the game. I think he is more than capable of playing wing back or full back, but as a youngster he will have dips in form and sometimes look tired. Normally, there is a chance to take young players out of the firing line for a few games and recharge their batteries, but at the moment the squad is stretched at the back and he has been needed to play 90 minutes every single game.

I fully expect to get comments now about how it's a man's game and a youngster should be able to play every day if they need to etc etc, but you are wrong, simple as that.

If your 3 at the back were JJ/Albeson/Barks the opposition forwards would know they'd been in a match by the end!
Joe,Barks and Brian would never have let this squad of players get into the current mess
All 3 of them gave 100% every and I mean every time they stepped onto the pitch
Oh for competitors like them now ?

1 defeat in 5 and yes 4 draws, but months ago we were losing games 3 or 4-0. That's also three home games undefeated. Let's not kid ourselves, it will take a miracle to stay up. But for me it's about Sol getting the squad, those that he wants, becoming hard to beat, playing different formations, trying different things in prep for getting them ready for next season. There are signs of improvement. The team is working harder, looks fitter. Defensively we look more solid and we are shipping far less goals. Going forward we do lack creativity and this is the main reason we are not winning games. Hopper and Humphrys are feeding off scraps.

Today could have been better if the ref had a pair of balls on him and given us at least the pen and then you won't see a more blatant second yellow for Danns but the ref on both occasions bottled it. Tranmere were truely awful and were there for the taking, we just lacked the quality to do so

But overall can't complain too much, the team showed spirit and heart and never stopped trying and that's all we can ask at this stage. Sol will get it right I'm certain of that, but it's small steps at a time.

Great tribute to Barks which he deserved

Great summary; agree with every word :Clap:

What people forget with Elvis is that he's still a kid learning the game. I think he is more than capable of playing wing back or full back, but as a youngster he will have dips in form and sometimes look tired. Normally, there is a chance to take young players out of the firing line for a few games and recharge their batteries, but at the moment the squad is stretched at the back and he has been needed to play 90 minutes every single game.

I fully expect to get comments now about how it's a man's game and a youngster should be able to play every day if they need to etc etc, but you are wrong, simple as that.

I take your point about him still being young etc, however I would like to think that after 18 months of 1st team football we would be seeing improvements in the defensive side of his game. However we simply haven't. He still gives his opponent far too much space and time and 9 times out of 10 he allows crosses to come in from his side which have led to countless goals conceeded.
He's had both Chris Powell and Sol Campbell as managers who no doubt have given him a lot of tips as to how to defend, but nothing changes.

If there is indeed money on the table from Charlton, I'd be snapping their hand off.

Back