• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 York City

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Well the wheels have well and truly fallen off. We are a shadow of the team we were a month or so back.

Looking at our players and the additions we have made they all have the quality but seeming as a team we are rubbish atm.

What on earth has gone wrong apart from us being to predictable we cannot score for toffee.York defended well and took their chance when it mattered.

I did at no time this season think we would end up in a relegation struggle but we are heading downwards at an alarming scale.

Very disappointing day where we end up second best again!

Some of them dreaming of the beach last few games.

Well they will be on Weston Super Mare and Weymouth beach next season at this rate.

This team (no team) is “too good” to go down. We are sleepwalking into a relegation battle last few weeks. Whatever has gone wrong needs to be rectified and quickly.

I have all confidence in them to turn it around and they of course have huge amounts of credit in the bank for what they’ve been through. However, that doesn’t mean we can’t call it for what it has been the last few weeks. It’s been **** and they need to liven the **** up.

Have to face up to the fact we are bang in trouble now.

Morton, Miley and Husin dont work and for me, Husin is poor at the moment and has to make way. Fonguck has to come back in as he's the only midfielder that threatens to get within 30 yards of the opposition box. If Husin checks and goes backwards once more, I'll scream. Mate says he is "creative" - cant remember the last creative thing he did - anyone know?

Waldron, as I warned about, is going to have to be judged next season. He isnt "the answer" everyone is clamouring for. Its a big step up and he looks way off it. 3 appearances and probably as many touches.

Kev got a lot of thinking to do. Fonguck should have been introduced at some point.

Positives - Crowther was excellent as was Morton. Thought Ralph did ok, rest absolutely bang average.

Ratings;

Colin - 7
GSM - 6 for effort
Crowther - 8
Kensdale - 7
Ralph - 7
Bridge - 5
Morton - 7
Miley - 6
Husin - 5
Cardwell - 5
Waldron - 5

SUBS: Sandat - 5, Dackers - N/A

The weight of expectation is bearing down at the moment. Everyone, including the team it seems, thought with the new signings & positivity off the pitch and given how we'd done under adversity beforehand, that now we'd only have to turn up to win cos we'll be even better than before..

I do believe we'll get it right in the end, we know these are good players at this level & I trust John Still's judgement on the new guys. Time to forget about the play-offs and use the rest of this season to mould the team into challengers for next season (and make sure we don't go down of course)

Fortunately we are playing Oxford City next Saturday. They have just been muellered by Daggers and hopefully will still be shell shocked.

At the moment we're not good enough to stay up. We need those three points.

Awful, crab ball, crab ball crab ball.

We looked more dangerous with Brooklyn up front. All the pretty passing in the world won't get us out of this division without the cut and thrust.

Caldwell needs dropping, clearly not there after injury and might need to take some time. All our best chances fell to Crowther who was too scared to leather it.

We have 3 Mini Mahers in midfield in Cav, Husin and Morton- one is great but 3 who do all the same things is just stupid.

The times we looked best was when certain players drove at the defence, this is our strength as we have 11 players comfortable on the ball and should use that to slip in players In the box or drive and then shoot instead of trying to pass it into the net.

Before today I thought we had enough about us to survive, now I'm not so sure, the us against the world mentality that made us a force is gone ....worrying times

Last edited:
Dire. We’re playing arguably as bad as we did in that horrific loss streak last season. Anything like that and we’re looking at even more pub sides next season

We are in a relegation battle folks, make no mistake about it. This latest defeat is the most concerning out of the lot York are a poor team and we’ve not laid a glove on them despite all our fancy new toys.

For the first time I’m starting to ask questions of the manager and especially his in game management. Kev seems very reluctant to go to or even have a plan b and that’s costing us at the moment because plan a is no longer working.

We need to seriously up our performance levels and start putting some wins on the board otherwise we really will be in danger of dropping down to the regionals.

Plan B was Plan A from the rest of the season so far. Brought in Crowther, Morton and Waldron. Changing up the defence was always going to destabilise it to begin with whilst it gels, the attack looked a bit more dangerous but still tried the give it to Bridge and let him smash it into the first man and hope for the best tactic. That tactic hasn't worked for months since the league had wised up to it.

And set pieces. Just give up and start playing it short - we are ****ing dreadful at them

Call it what it is, this is now a battle for National League survival.

Let's see what this lot are made of now they're facing a new scenario of expectation, it's easier to win when you're not expected to.

Nowhere to hide now, not that any of this lot have ever tried to hide.

Fresh ideas needed, and IMO a capability to ditch the 3-5-2 when it doesn't work. I personally think we've got the personnel to put a 4-3-3 into practice. But when your players simply don't turn up, it's probably akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Big questions need to be asked between now and our next game.

Fortunately we are playing Oxford City next Saturday. They have just been muellered by Daggers and hopefully will still be shell shocked.

At the moment we're not good enough to stay up. We need those three points.
That’s good then, we can hope for a huge improvement in a 0-0 next week. Can’t see this side scoring again if we set ourselves up the same week in week out.

So Miley and Morton are the same player.
Husin wasn’t as attacking as he should have been with those two behind him.
Bridge ineffective.
Cardwell and Waldron didn’t do enough, but the service was also awful.

Best player?
Crowther, who should of scored but chose to pass when it was easier to side foot it in.

Not good enough and if we don’t win next Saturday, against a team that has shipped 7 (seven) today then we are in big ****.

Back