• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Weird. I thought it was the same set of players who were doing well up until a week ago?

Some general observations after today's game:

Bentley (5) - needs to improve some of his decision making and composure at times, the penalty should have been avoided through a relatively routine clearance.
White (4.5) - probably time to give O'Neill a chance, seems to be get beaten by pace far too easily, quality in the final third also questionable. Is he fit?
Thompson (4.5) - defended well enough up until the first goal then like AB kind of imploded, a fit again Bolger would be an easy swap.
Barrett (4.5) - too many games in quick succession have caught up with AB, has lost quite a few physical battles in the last two games and nearly all strikers can get in behind him with relative ease. That being said he is still a good quality defender who has the positional sense to counter most threats when fully fit and rested.
Coker (5.5) - probably the better defender today (just) although that's not saying much.
Leonard (5.5) - also probably needs a rest however we really don't have the depth to replace him right now so holds on to his place by default. But does put in a good shift no matter what.
Atkinson (5) - a solid yet unspectacular pro, not sure what he offers as a starter especially in a narrow midfield three?
Rea (4.5) - given a chance today, didn't really take it. Has the physical attributes to enforce himself on a game in midfield which I guess is why PB started him today. Perhaps unfair to judge as a midfielder, maybe slot him in at CB next game?
Payne (5.5) - playing Jack with Hunt and Mooney does not work, either start with one striker and JP or don't play him, it narrows the midfield and makes us ridiculously easy to play against (as proved in the last two games).
Hunt (5) - works hard but with little quality to/around him is made to look quite ordinary, had a chance today but failed to take it.
Mooney (4.5) - other striking options are needed! I'm certainly not going to slate him as every player has been poor to some extent over the past two games however he's not mobile or physical enough to compliment JP or Hunt.

Subs:
Worrall (6) - some nice moments later in the game (with the caveat that the game was over!). Certainly had a better attitude that some of those who had started.
Deegan (5.5) - again can't fault his attitude but not sure whether he really has the quality required in midfield as a long term option? Probably deserves a start though. BUT please stop with the petty yellow cards, today's was pointless.
Pig (4.5) - thanks for Wembley, best of luck at your new club. Not really fair to overly judge a player who knew before the game that he was leaving.

I don't mind losing if the opposition is decent but in both the last games they have not been at all.

Out off the seven goals we have shipped at least five off them where gifted it would be less embarrassing if they were own goals!!

All the negative keep passing backwards and back to Bentley just plays us into trouble. The second goal today why did white play it back to Bently just smash into row Z for a throw!!

i never understand at the end of the game some fans clapping the team off! What have they been watching the game!!

Terrible result today, which I was fortunate enough to miss... What happened to the side that played so well v Bury?

the only positive which springs to mind after the last 2 defeats is at least this slip up has coincided with the Jan transfer window opening, let's just hope that Messrs Brown and Martin spends wisely and stumps up the budget, respectively, to get some decent new faces in.

Straight from the start the team looked to be terrified of conceding a goal, the negativity seemed to spread throughout the side. Doncaster played with three up front and attacked in numbers but when we won the ball off them the midfield didn't seem to get forward quickly enough. It was if their mindset was conditioned to just playing safe and defending. Brown did say that he hoped to bring in some new faces, this is probably what is needed right now.

It is clear from the last two games that if the manager's defensive plan spectacularly implodes then due to a non existent attacking threat we can never get back into the game and it is good as lost.

On BBC Essex afterwards, Adrian Clarke said, "a couple of bad results don't make a bad team".
I couldn't agree more. Today's showing was proof positive of POOR MANAGEMENT, POOR TACTICS, POOR COACHING and POOR CAPTAINCY. Seems to me our biggest problems are located at the top end of the crumbling structure.

Brown got it wrong today but if you are going to put losses down to the management you can't then pretend victories had nothing to do with him. We won't get better than Brown wanting to manage Southend, to put it all down to him is ridiculous.

On BBC Essex afterwards, Adrian Clarke said, "a couple of bad results don't make a bad team".
I couldn't agree more. Today's showing was proof positive of POOR MANAGEMENT, POOR TACTICS, POOR COACHING and POOR CAPTAINCY. Seems to me our biggest problems are located at the top end of the crumbling structure.

Complete bollocks, why do you only come on here to moan?

Although the last two games have been horrendous, I think the problem is partly Browns selections, the other part of the problem is some of the players are not prepared to stand up and be counted, They are professionals and should be giving there all when putting on the hallowed shirt. I don't think some of the players share the supporters passion for the club, and if not they must be moved on. Rant over !!:sad:

Yeah shocking! The team promoted via the play-offs should be storming the league above. 7th is a disaster and all those things stated in upper-case are so clearly true.

I hope you do well for the rest of the season, you have a good team. I think PB might have been thinking he was playing the same Rovers side at the beginning of the season, which under PD became a laboured relegation form team. DF has transformed the team that is now in Play Off form. DF is using a 3-4-3 formation to dominate the midfield and have two players supporting the lone striker Andy Williams. DF plays a high tempo game wanting the ball to move the ball from defence to attack as quick as possible, hence the wingers in midfield who can either support the attack or the defence depending on the flow of the game. Pressing the opposition's defence is a key part of DF's tactics, hence the three up front and an attacking minded midfield. From the reports I have read you lost the game in midfield and failed to adequately cope with Rovers forward line. Hope PB is able to learn from the defeats and get your team fired up for the next game. I'll be watching closely how you do for the rest of the season, we may even meet again in the Play Offs:smile:

2 up front with Payne behind, just doesn't work. Leaves us short in midfield or lacking width.

Barrett even though he is a legend, his legs have gone. You can't ship 4 goals and not change the back four, now 7 in 2 games.

Bentley, stuck to his line, not commanding anything in the box, slow coming out for the first, at fault for the third.
JW, average game, didn't get forward when we were winger less.
Cokes, as JW but better when worked with Wozza in last 30 minutes.
Thompson, reasonable game but him and Adam seemed unsure of Rea's role and ALL three culpable for first goal.
Adam, poor, kept passing back to bentley (as did others), why? can't they kick the ball forward? little leadership.
Rea, confused by his role, never got forward, correctly replaced by Deegs.

Defence: generally unsure, how are we so poor at defending corners that a player got a "free" shot for the second goal?

Leonard, average. almost No attacking ambition until it was too late.
Atko, average. rarely passes forward, just sideways or back.

Jack, M of M, keep trying, no arguement that he deserves his place.

Mooney?????What does he do other than get offside? no attempts on goal, 1 (one) header won all game, always just behind play, just too short, just too slow, just fell over (dived?), doesn't chase back and doesn't mark a player at corners, waste of a shirt.

Hunt, full game, lead from front in effort but no support too often.

Subs
Wozza, got better as game went on; needs to start
Deegs, passes well, broke play, another really stupid booking.
Pig, good farewell performance, showed he can get stuck in, track back, link with Wozza and Payne, tried to score.

Phil - poor team selection, better subs, AND again became mute when the team was 3 nil down and needed encouraging and management from the sidelines.

Personally, i think brown has been out thought tactically in the past two games. He got out thought by Neil Harris twice, in the cup and league, and again today. He doesn't have a plan b in mind, the only way a team run by him wins games is by putting in a ridiculous amount of running and pressing for the whole match. We find it so hard to control the tempo of a match and win games comfortably. The last two games are perfect examples of teams who still press for another goal when already winning. When it's the other way round (Rochdale at home, Sheffield Utd away) we just sit back and many managers will feel that they can get back into the match against us. Teams also have the confidence to go for the 2nd,3rd,4th against us, if winning, because we have no b plan. When losing at home, how often do you think we can get back into this?

The first big mistake was not making any changes after the Colchester game. The players were physically and mentally tired so just like Millwall did, at least 3 or 4 changes were required to freshen it up. He didnt and we got punished. The second was only making one change again today. The same ten players, minus Worrall, still looked off the pace and bereft of confidence. It was clear to everyone Barrett needed a rest after the Millwall game, as did Atkinson and Mooney. I thought Deegan and Mclaughlin were guaranteed to start today, but after promising changes he just played Rea, a defender, in central midfield, instead of Worrall. Please no one tell me he is a defensive midfielder. We have one of those in Deegan. Looking at the table still makes pleasant reading, but with the squad we have I'm really hoping we use it and make changes for the Swindon game.

The first big mistake was not making any changes after the Colchester game. The players were physically and mentally tired so just like Millwall did, at least 3 or 4 changes were required to freshen it up. He didnt and we got punished. The second was only making one change again today. The same ten players, minus Worrall, still looked off the pace and bereft of confidence. It was clear to everyone Barrett needed a rest after the Millwall game, as did Atkinson and Mooney. I thought Deegan and Mclaughlin were guaranteed to start today, but after promising changes he just played Rea, a defender, in central midfield, instead of Worrall. Please no one tell me he is a defensive midfielder. We have one of those in Deegan. Looking at the table still makes pleasant reading, but with the squad we have I'm really hoping we use it and make changes for the Swindon game.

I do sometimes wonder if brown actually watches our games!!!! lol

Northern thick *****!!!

Absolutely dreadful! It sums up Brown's selection perfectly that our best two performers by far, Worrall and Deegan ,had to wait to come off the bench ! One or two could /should? be on their way out Piggott,obviously,Barrett's legs have gone,Atkinson never contributes much and Bentley if anyone will still pay decent money for him.QPR might-I saw Robert Green last night !

Sent from my iPad

Team that I would like to see against Swindon:-

Bentley
O'Neill. Thompson. Prosser. Coker (provided he can show he is fit)
Worrall. Timlin. Leonard. McLaughlin
Hunt. Payne.

This assumes Brown's usual lethargy in the transfer market with desperate signings only arriving on January 31st.

Team that I would like to see against Swindon:-

Bentley
O'Neill. Thompson. Prosser. Coker (provided he can show he is fit)
Worrall. Timlin. Leonard. McLaughlin
Hunt. Payne.

This assumes Brown's usual lethargy in the transfer market with desperate signings only arriving on January 31st.

I'd be happy to see that too. Bolger maybe in for Thompson too. Selection-wise it's back to square one and fair to give a few squad players like O'Neill, Prosser, and McLaughlin a chance to show what they can do.

Back