• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-3 Norwich City

I know what we can change it to.....

:)

Behave!!! :thump:

And a nice little bit of mathematical analysis, 16 lots of ratings so far - Mildy's range is from 6 to 8.5 and comes out at an average of 7.56; Ibehre's range is from 6 to 8 and comes out at an average of 6.875. Apart from one "brilliantly" the only other comparable superlative for him is "excellent" - once, most comments are around the "promising" mark.

Last edited:
There's a huge difference between "well" and "brilliantly", not indicated by the difference between a 7 and 8! While I agree there's a lot who said they played well, I'd question how many used a superlative to the level of "brilliantly"!

And can I just say it's time the front page was changed!!!!

Nah leave it there - it makes me chuckle everytime i come on to SZ!!!

Behave!!! :thump:

And a nice little bit of mathematical analysis, 16 lots of ratings so far - Mildy's range is from 6 to 8.5 and comes out at an average of 7.56; Ibehre's range is from 6 to 8 and comes out at an average of 6.875. Apart from one "brilliantly" the only other comparable superlative for him is "excellent" - once, most comments are around the "promising" mark.

See this is exactly why I don't give out match ratings.

People are giving Mildenhall 8.5 out of 10, and yes he played well, but conceded 3 goals shouldn't give a goalkeeper 8.5 out of 10. Also, I've seen Walker and Freedman both given between 4 and 7 which is one extreme to the other.

People do tend to go over the top when a player plays well, and same when they play bad.

The BBC used to have a player rater, where they had what a 0 out of 10 performance was, and what a 1 is etc. I think it needs to be on here.

See this is exactly why I don't give out match ratings.

People are giving Mildenhall 8.5 out of 10, and yes he played well, but conceded 3 goals shouldn't give a goalkeeper 8.5 out of 10. Also, I've seen Walker and Freedman both given between 4 and 7 which is one extreme to the other.

People do tend to go over the top when a player plays well, and same when they play bad.

The BBC used to have a player rater, where they had what a 0 out of 10 performance was, and what a 1 is etc. I think it needs to be on here.

Wouldn't bother. I know who's played well and who's played badly without looking at a selection of ratings from people with prejudices, favourites and, in some cases, very poor judgement.

Wouldn't bother. I know who's played well and who's played badly without looking at a selection of ratings from people with prejudices, favourites and, in some cases, very poor judgement.

Touche Mick, thats why i dont bother with ratings. Gives me a chuckle going through them though!.

Well, just read through this lot and I'm now horribly depressed. When you consider that a month ago we thought we might have been in administation and bottom of the table or not have a club at all, I find the whole negative attitude about the players and last nights game quite disgraceful!

We played a team who are clearly looking to bounce back to the championship, but who quite frankly werent that good - on performances this season so far I think Southampton and Leeds (though it pains me to say it) are better sides. We werent that good, but we werent 3 goals worse than them either - the score line flattered them and didnt do our goal difference any favours! Seemed to me we had lost the game before we left the dressing room - as soon as they scored the heads went down and we just rolled over and I dont think we really recovered.

For me, the bright spots are:

Mildy, played well, made some good saves and didnt have much chance with any of the goals.
Morrison - how long have we got him for? A bit longer would be good.
Scannell - caused loads of trouble and needs to work on the final ball (confidence I think more than anything)
Barratt - Committed and predictable, more important than ability in our current predicament.
Grant - back from his suspension at the weekend
Herd - still our player and will improve
Laurant - still our player and hopefully back soon.
Barney - top goalscorer and plays better with better service!

Add to this, we are in a no worse position than we were before Christmas last year and we just missed out on the play offs. We have still got a few months to sort this out!

Call me naive - dont I know what its like not being paid on time, worrying about paying the bills and wondering if you still have a job? Doesnt do a lot to inspire good performances and its going to take a while to get that trust back for some of our lads. Like it or not, I think we have to be patient and be grateful for small mercies...

Simply wrong, Ibehre was NOT brilliant, nor was Mildy. Mildy had a good game, continuing the run of form we have seen in the last month hence the POTM recognition. Ibehre had a quiet debut I thought, he didn't stamp his mark nor show any flashes of the kind of brilliance we got used to seeing from our successful loanees last year - what he did show was a similarity to Barney in drawing players into fouls, and occasional strength on the ball that we've not seen in a forward for a while. It was a good enough debut but that is all.

I'm not going to be drawn into defending Macca again, enough other people have said the same. People see what they want with him, and no amount of any of us telling those of the opposing view otherwise will change that. What I am saying is that we know that stuff on here gets back to them at times, and as I keep saying - not only regards Macca - have kept advocating for months and months now is that we should be more supportive of players, not knocking them at every opportunity. Blimey, it wasn't so long ago that Barney was getting rubbished on here, there's actually very few players that haven't, but there's several that have moved on that were unhappy at their treatment by the supporters. Now you can take that as just those at games or otherwise, I just don't want ANY of our players to feel "hounded" so objective criticism, fine but bald statements of the type you make that he contributed "nothing" are just ridiculously over generalised and plainly inaccurate.
MACCA OUT MACCA OUT lol are you his mrs ???? people can post what ever they want and if i was a pro i would not worry what people put on here! His managers view is the only one that counts so get a grip!

Not going to say too much, thought we were undone by bad luck, some strange decisions and some good finishing. Norwich were not THAT good and we were not THAT bad. I've seen better teams play us this season and seen us play lots worse than that.......several times. Please, please, please can we keep a defender BACK at corners and such like, we should not be relying on a CM to do this role - and that's not just cos of what happened last night, have felt same for a long time, when it's usually been Grant and Macca.
I think some people are being over critical, as usual, and picking on scapegoats, also as usual. We seem to have forgotten how these players play when motivated.
Mildy - 7, haven't seen the replays but don't think there was anything he could do, some good saves and some confident handling - no sign of shakiness as far as I was concerned
Francis - 5, sorry, I'd much rather see him playing RW, Grant at RB and O'Keefe start on Saturday
Morrison - 6, confident heading and strong but he has the inexperience of youth that can easily be exploited, seriously worry about him with Franno to his side
Barrett - 6, some awesome blocking but struggled with the Norwich forwards all night
Malone - 7, pick of defence for me, like the guy, reminds me of Mulgrew but more positional awareness
Scannell - 7, always looks a danger on the ball but absolutely has to be aware of which team mates are around him, usually in better places
Macca - 6, lots of effort and some very good passing which largely goes unnoticed cos all you lot are looking for are the bad ones, getting forward lots although why was he last man? Again, haven't seen replays but didn't think it looked a penJeff - 6, did ok I thought, opposition players don't like his style of challenge, prefer him playing as he was just in front of defence
Moussa - 6, better than of late, surprised to see him subbed, and more so that O'Keefe didn't come on in his place
Barney - 6, quiet game for Barney, don't like him playing the deeper of the 2 forwards
Ibehre - 6, looked strong at times, lack of understanding with others which they need to work on, promising though

Subs:
Walker for Scannell - 6, expected but pointless really, no comparison for excitement on the run
Freedman for Moussa - 5, challenges down Norwich's right had been strong all night, not the place for Dougie to go

Officials - 4, good 1st half, don't know what happened in the 2nd. Ibehre was all but strangled in the lead up to the 2nd, not given by the lino on the west which lead directly to the pass to the gs I think. "Goal" looked good, didn't see the lino give it nor how the ref could have ruled it. Holt was a ****, should've gone for the amount of dissent let alone anything else.

TBV - 9, well done lads
Read your post back and ask yourself the question? Is this the worst post ever put on this site. Did you miss the score???

Last edited:
Read your post back and ask yourself the question? Is this the worst post ever put on this site. Did you miss the score???

explain ...... You have made your point and have the evidence but no explanation to WHY that is 'the worst post ever put on this site'.

Are there any highlights of the match (not on the Blues Player)?

I haven't read the rest of this thread so sorry if I'm repeating what has already been said but here are my thoughts on the game.

Norwich are a better side than us, there is no question of that in my opinion. But last night I didn't think they was 3 goals better than us, and neither did my Norwich supporting mate that went along.

I thought we created the better chances throughout the game, and bar one superb save from Mildenhall, I don't remember him having an awful lot else to do. They where more clinical than us, and it shows in the League table.

Scannell's miss in the second half was the turning point, it seemed to wake them up a little bit, and they had their good 10 minute spell where they scored twice to kill us off. If that had nestled in the back of the net, like it should have done, maybe we'd be talking about a very good win last night, but if you don't take your chances you don't win football games. Simple as.

We huffed and puffed, and produced decent attacking plays, but Norwich looked much better on the ball than us, and they looked very dangerous on the counter attack. They shift the ball around well, and Hoolihan, of how ever you spell it, is a very good player and Holt gets you goals not matter what.

Mildenhall - One superb save from a header in the second half, and no chance on the other goals. Couple of routine stops from distance as well. Solid performance.

Francis - Usual Francis story I'm afraid. Some superb deliveries into the box, like the one for the disallowed goal, but was out shadowed by some very poor defensive work.

Morrison - His scuff led to the first goal, but apart from that I thought he looked decent. Good in the air, and wasn't afraid to get rid of it when required, but also looked to pass out of the ball, and along to Barrett. Decent enough player. It has shown this season though, when we brought Clarke all those years ago we should have been going for a player like M'Voto, Heath or Morrison, all of whom have partnered Barrett better than Clarke ever did.

Barrett - Solid enough performance. He is a lot better with a proper centre half alongside him as it allows him to focus on his game. Superb block from Holt in the second half, that led to Scannell's chance.

Malone - Was disappointed with his set piece delivery, never seemed to get it right, but looked ok in open play. Some good crosses in the second half, and is an upgrade on Herd.

Scannell - We missed Laurent. Now, this isn't a pop at Scannell, because he did well enough but doesn't work hard enough, didn't put enough balls into the box, and didn't seem to want to take his man on. Laurent, although he doesn't work hard enough, makes up for it with the ball at his feet.

JFC - He is a strange one. His reading of the play, interceptions and tackling is spot on, but on the ball he is shockingly bad. I thought he did OK last night, but the crowd seemed to jump on his back.

Macca - I'm shocked at some of the critisicm of him so far. I thought he was one of our better players last night and got through an awful lot of work. Yes, he can't pass, and put us in trouble with one, but he is starting to drive on from midfield again, and looking more of a threat. Wasn't helped with the fact that Norwich had 3 in the middle, so they passed it around both him and JFC.

Moussa - Terrible. His man scored the second goal, and he wasn't tracking him back. One pass that had it got through would have been pass of the season, but that was it. I can't be too hard on him because he isn't a left winger, but come January that is one of the positions I'd look to bring in.

Barnard - Worked hard, won a lot in the air against two big centre halves and had a couple of efforts from distance, and probably should have scored his header at 1-0.

Jabo - Wasn't overly sure of him when we signed him, but tonight showed what a handful he can be. He was up against two big centre halves and won a lot. His first touch on his chest was superb. Not sure if it was handball, hard to tell from East Reds, but he didn't seem to complain about it. Great effort in the first half as well.

Subs:

Walker - Looked lively when he came on.

Freedman - Lost shape when he came on, not sure where he was supposed to be playing. Personally, I'd have brought on Asante. He looks quick and lively, and would surely do better on the left wing over Freedman.
By far the most accurate representation of the game I've read so far. Norwich were undoubtedly the better side and played some great stuff but at the same time, we arguably created as many good chances as they did. Like you, I also had a Norwich-supporting mate at the game and he thought the scoreline flattered them.

Scannell should really have made their 'keeper work at the very least, and Ibehre was unlucky not to score twice. I'm totally baffled by his disallowed goal; it looked perfectly fine to me from my position in the South Upper and I don't think the linesman flagged for anything. The referee's gesture seemed to indicate a handball but I'm not sure he was in the best position to see it, and if he did, why did he not book Ibehre as I fail to see how a handball could have been accidental in that position.

Overall I don't think we played that badly. In fact, we arguably played worse in our previous two home games but the joy of the last-minute winners in each naturally alters perceptions.

On a final note, I totally agree regarding the scapegoating of McCormack on this board - it's becoming disturbing. I came away last night thinking he was one of our better players and was shocked to read some of the comments about him afterwards. I don't know Kay but I can totally understand why she defends Macca so vocally at times; I get the impression people target him deliberately on here just to wind her up - and it goes well beyond banter on occasions.

this might be off interest

On this thread
9- macca played badly
8 he played well (OBL I have included you here , although a 6 suggests I am wrong)
4 on the fence
So 21 people in total
Only two have him as the worst player - 2 out of 21, or less than 10%

based on the above I don't see the 'scapegoating' Why are the same people not in a rage on Moussa getting such low marks and comments suggesting he was poor, or Francis, or Doogie?

Last edited:
bit late with my ratings:

mildy 8

francis 5

morrison 5

barrett 7

malone 6

scannell 8 motm

macca 7

jeff 6

mooooose 5

barney 6

jabo 7

subs both 5

imo we looked ok 1st half and most of 2nd half, but also norwichs passing was superb and when we tried to copy that we turned up short...

the way we are set up squad wise at the moment, thinking about a pass isn't a question it is all about movement and there was not enough of that last night.

i thought scannell ran his spuds off last night and so did jabo

macca had one of the best games i've seen him have 4 a while n i think he was carrying a knock from very early in the 1st half but still kept going

malone impressed but i would still rather have johnny herd playing

scoreline flattered but what can u do apart from throwing some boots on and running on there yourself

Well, just read through this lot and I'm now horribly depressed. When you consider that a month ago we thought we might have been in administation and bottom of the table or not have a club at all, I find the whole negative attitude about the players and last nights game quite disgraceful!

We played a team who are clearly looking to bounce back to the championship, but who quite frankly werent that good - on performances this season so far I think Southampton and Leeds (though it pains me to say it) are better sides. We werent that good, but we werent 3 goals worse than them either - the score line flattered them and didnt do our goal difference any favours! Seemed to me we had lost the game before we left the dressing room - as soon as they scored the heads went down and we just rolled over and I dont think we really recovered.

For me, the bright spots are:

Mildy, played well, made some good saves and didnt have much chance with any of the goals.
Morrison - how long have we got him for? A bit longer would be good.
Scannell - caused loads of trouble and needs to work on the final ball (confidence I think more than anything)
Barratt - Committed and predictable, more important than ability in our current predicament.
Grant - back from his suspension at the weekend
Herd - still our player and will improve
Laurant - still our player and hopefully back soon.
Barney - top goalscorer and plays better with better service!

Add to this, we are in a no worse position than we were before Christmas last year and we just missed out on the play offs. We have still got a few months to sort this out!

Call me naive - dont I know what its like not being paid on time, worrying about paying the bills and wondering if you still have a job? Doesnt do a lot to inspire good performances and its going to take a while to get that trust back for some of our lads. Like it or not, I think we have to be patient and be grateful for small mercies...
This is a very strange post. You say that you "find the whole negative attitude about the players and last nights game quite disgraceful" and yet say that "as soon as they scored the heads went down and we just rolled over and I dont think we really recovered." I find that one of the most insulting comments about the players on the thread! We didn't "roll over" but kept playing to the end with our usual late surge. It didn't come to anything but it really wasn't for a want of trying.
I'm not sure why you're mentioning Herd in the positives when he is out for a month. I assume that you are referring to the longer term.
On your other points, Barney played really well. He was the player who provided the best movement on throw-ins and his ball to Scannell was a peach.
For me, we lost the game in midfield where we gave the ball away too much but it is no disgrace to lose to Norwich with the size of the squad we have.

highlights now on BBC sport

only one of their guys complains about our goal, despite two maning a few feet away, but then they all join in . I guess it muyst have been hand ball as we didn't complain.

Their penalty is stonewall,

yep the pen looks stonewall to me. even if his foot has touched the ball he can't claim to have 'won' it and he has to crash through the player first. it doesn't even seem that Macca is appealing against it, just really annoyed with himself.

yep the pen looks stonewall to me. even if his foot has touched the ball he can't claim to have 'won' it and he has to crash through the player first. it doesn't even seem that Macca is appealing against it, just really annoyed with himself.

Not looked at the highlights yet, nor on here in detail, but in today's Echo, he actually says that after seeing it replayed that he can see it had to be given.

Here's the link to the highlights, Barney was very unlucky and if that gorgeous curling shot had gone in early on it would have been a hugely different story.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8391988.stm

Last edited:
Yeah, Barney's first half curler was much closer than I thought; would have been a fantastic goal. I'm still bemused by the disallowed goal. It looked like a clean header at the time and it still does to me on the highlights sequence. Maybe he headed it on to his hand or something because whatever happened it certainly didn't look deliberate.

Yeah, Barney's first half curler was much closer than I thought; would have been a fantastic goal. I'm still bemused by the disallowed goal. It looked like a clean header at the time and it still does to me on the highlights sequence. Maybe he headed it on to his hand or something because whatever happened it certainly didn't look deliberate.

It looks like a clear hand ball and a good spot by the ref.

Back