• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-4 Chesterfield

I've supported SUFC as boy and man for over 60 years now.I thought Southend's performance against Chesterfield was the worst game I've ever seenThere's only one person responsible for the state of affairs the club's in and that's clearly the Chairman..Normally I wouldn't condone any sort of pitch invasion during the game but I thought Saturday's protest against the Chairman was fully justified and much more entertaining than the match itself.Credit to Chesterfield and their supporters.They know the pain of supporting a NL club.After 4 seasons they seem to have found a way out of the hole they were in.One thing's for sure we won't be returning to L2 any time soon.If fact we'll do well to avoid a 3rd consecutive relegation by the time we play Torquay in May.

From the Chesterfield fans view.

I take your point.
It looks to be a combination of the brush-off from the capped steward and more of a front-on lunge from the blond short-haired steward on Mr Cap's left.
To me it just looks like bad accident, not wishing to particularly defend anyone....

But the bloke to the fans right shoves him forward and in the heat of the moment, the steward may have thought he's either lunging at him or just starting to come forward, so shoves him back (not sure on the rules of 'self defense' for the stewards??)

In that action, the fan stumbles back and clips the other fan that shoved him and goes over the wall.

As I say, to me, in the blink of an eye/heat of the moment split second, it didnt look deliberate the steward set out to do what he did.

Really hope the fan is ok - radio mentioned he was walking around on the pitch with blood on his head, so assume he's up and about, but did look very nasty :(

Same story in The East Stand (black/green seats) When the fans came on, a very loud chant of “we want Martin out”, went up. Probably one of, if not the loudest and unified chants I’ve ever heard from that part of the ground in 25-years of going.

The only boos I heard, was when the tannoy lady was asking fans to get off. I’ve no doubt some people didn’t take too kindly to the demonstration, but I didn’t see or hear too many around me who felt that way.
Only got back home to France last night so this is the first chance I've had to take a look at good old Shrimpermoan (how apt!) since the game.
Yes, GBJ is right (despite some others voicing their holier than thou opinions, not based on the facts). I sit in East Greens and there was NO audible booing in our area of the pitch invasion, on the contrary there was much support and chanting of Martin Out. Some were critical of the pitch invasion but weren't making much noise as they were clearly in the minority. The only booing in our area was indeed of the inane announcements about the fact that National League rules ban any pitch encroachment. Yes, perhaps we'd already guessed that! Then the same announcement was made again which prompted even louder booing.
The fella with his head split open was taken away by first aiders in front of us with blood streaming from his head and his tshirt sodden with it. He had been having a right go at a "steward" prior to this so I assume that said "steward" was the cause of his injury (yes, I have seen the video). From what I have seen there is absolutely no justification for the actions taken by the "steward" and given that he acted as an employee of SUFC there could well be legal action taken against both the club and the individual by the guy who had his head split open.
Personally right now I am in total support of the protest (up to now I've been in the "what's the point?" group), and applauded them and joined in the chants. At my advanced age I won't be joining in any pitch invasions but will continue to voice my opinions.
I have it on good authority that the stewards ( NOT security) are basically volunteers and are paid the grand sum of £10 per game!!! What a shambles this club has become.
I have got to the stage now that I actually don't care much about the results.... after over 50 years. I just want the lying charlatan out, even if that means a phoenix club.
Sorry, rant over.

Last edited:
@Shrimper in France , I am almost sure there was a Southend Pheonix FC back in the late 1960s? my GrandFather was physio/trainer for them and they played at the Southend Greyhound Ground off Sutton Road.
You may remember more of it than me, they started well but obviously petered out.

@Shrimper in France , I am almost sure there was a Southend Pheonix FC back in the late 1960s? my GrandFather was physio/trainer for them and they played at the Southend Greyhound Ground off Sutton Road.
You may remember more of it than me, they started well but obviously petered out.
Was that Pegasus? Seem to recall they had a few ex Blues players.

Yep was Pegasus..... a decent side I seem to remember. At that time I was still at school but had started to go to Roots hall regularly by then so never actually watched Pegasus.

Yep was Pegasus..... a decent side I seem to remember. At that time I was still at school but had started to go to Roots hall regularly by then so never actually watched Pegasus.
That was them, my Granddad wouldn't go to Roots Hall, he was a Spammer really, ex London/Blitz fireman who moved down here after being bombed out of East End. Him and my dad didn't get on so I got to go to The Hall with him and Pegasus with G'dad.
Oddly my G'dad moved to the old peoples flats on the Greyhound track site and died there.

To me it just looks like bad accident, not wishing to particularly defend anyone....

But the bloke to the fans right shoves him forward and in the heat of the moment, the steward may have thought he's either lunging at him or just starting to come forward, so shoves him back (not sure on the rules of 'self defense' for the stewards??)

In that action, the fan stumbles back and clips the other fan that shoved him and goes over the wall.

As I say, to me, in the blink of an eye/heat of the moment split second, it didnt look deliberate the steward set out to do what he did.

Really hope the fan is ok - radio mentioned he was walking around on the pitch with blood on his head, so assume he's up and about, but did look very nasty :(
You're right, of course.
But the blonde short-haired steward is really lunging at the guy who fell over the wall.
I've watched it a few times, and he does give him quite a shove.
Why?
Even in the heat of the moment, all he has to say 'take your hands off the banner and we'll return it to you.'
It seems they were keener to manhandle anyone who got in the way of hanging on to the banner.
Again, why?
Surely, the stewards saw it coming, and could have acted ahead of time.
It's coming from the same place as Tuesday, and yet, the stewards look ill prepared to deal with the same issue.
Poor.

I have it on good authority that the stewards ( NOT security) are basically volunteers and are paid the grand sum of £10 per game!!! What a shambles this club has become.
I'm not doubting your info, but for an est 3 hrs work (2.15-5.15pm?), i find that incredible?.
Add on travel costs, petrol or bus fare, you'd probably make a fiver.

I got taken to a game there by my father so it must have been over 50 years ago. I recall Billy best was sat behind me watching too!

Last edited:
Back