• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-4 Chesterfield

I was in the west stand behind the video taker and such had a good view on the whole incident. The coming into the field of play started when the fans attempted to place the banner over the wall (resting against the advertising boards) then the banner was grabbed and attempted to be pushed back into the stands by the stewards. From my view the push was not from the steward in the cap but yet from the blonde lad with the side part, since watching the video i still agree with that (the pushing hand being covered by the banner in the video) whereas the steward in the cap was wrestling with the fan over the control of the banner.

I'd be interested in others views. I could not have been the only fan who saw the team sheet and thought it was bizarre. Either PB knows something about the players that I don't or is a gambler or and it did cross my mind this is a team set up to lose. Is this because he knows the sack is inevitable and this is a way round his contract. i.e. if he is sacked his compensation is more than he resigned. Can a manager be that cynical or have I finally lost it?
Last 2 team sheets have been very odd. Plus the players that have seemingly gone from starters to not even making the squad over the past 10 games

I was in the west stand behind the video taker and such had a good view on the whole incident. The coming into the field of play started when the fans attempted to place the banner over the wall (resting against the advertising boards) then the banner was grabbed and attempted to be pushed back into the stands by the stewards. From my view the push was not from the steward in the cap but yet from the blonde lad with the side part, since watching the video i still agree with that (the pushing hand being covered by the banner in the video) whereas the steward in the cap was wrestling with the fan over the control of the banner.

Exactly my take.

The fans with the banner were trying to show it off. Stewards tried to snatch it. Then it all got a bit silly with fans pushing and grabbing. Fella gets pushed over the wall and all hell breaks loose.

So avoidable.

I posted before seeing this, but that’s exactly how I saw it Mr. Scotsman. We can’t both be wrong, can we?
Many on here of course were actually there and will know what they did and didn’t hear in their area. I certainly heard the boos as they came on and the shouts of get off the pitch. But whatever we say the people on here already know the answer in a way.

What I desperately hope is we start focusing on bringing the fans back together rather than focusing on what drives us apart.

I think probably Stan is a key route to that. I was uncertain before but less so now. He accepts Ron isn’t selling (simple fact however much we shout at the moon) and so says consortiums aren’t for now. And he is clearly willing to work with Ron. So I dearly hope this is the route to taking us forward to a better place. I hope yesterday was the bottom.

Many on here of course were actually there and will know what they did and didn’t hear in their area. I certainly heard the boos as they came on and the shouts of get off the pitch. But whatever we say the people on here already know the answer in a way.

What I desperately hope is we start focusing on bringing the fans back together rather than focusing on what drives us apart.

I think probably Stan is a key route to that. I was uncertain before but less so now. He accepts Ron isn’t selling (simple fact however much we shout at the moon) and so says consortiums aren’t for now. And he is clearly willing to work with Ron. So I dearly hope this is the route to taking us forward to a better place. I hope yesterday was the bottom.
With all the respect in the world, the problem with this comment is, that some of your posts on here recently in response to protests, pitch invasions, etc. have been quite snidey and divisive in themselves. Anything but "focusing on what brings the fans together". I'm sure (and hope) you don't mean it that way but that is how it comes across. Yes it would be nice for everyone to be on the same page, but I get the feeling that you expect that page to be your page.

Incorrect, the first push is from the bloke in shorts and a blue trackie top behind the guy who fell. The guy who fell is wrestling with the steward over the banner.
OK, will buy that.
The first 'gesture' is from the steward, who is trying to get the faller's hands off the banner.
The guy in the shorts inadvertently pushes as he tries to go left as the camera sees it.

From my point of view it was a very unfortunate incident that I’m sure neither party intended to happen, if there was intent by either party to cause damage to the other then it should be dealt with, however I’m sure that wasn’t the case.

However, we all know that encroachment onto the pitch is not allowed during the game, we are told every match. The stewards are there to ensure that this doesn’t happen so it shouldn’t be a surprise when they try to stop fans from doing so. The fact that there was a coming together would always be a likely outcome and that’s how accidents occur.

I understand that this may, and I say may, have been triggered by the stewards trying to remove the banner from the cinder track which is being criticised from some quarters. However, they may have a duty to keep that cinder track clear for Health & Safety reasons and as part of the ground safety evacuation plan allowing free access and means of escape from a stand should it be needed, the last thing you need is potential trip hazards blocking this route. I don’t know this but just putting it out there as a potential reason aside from the sponsors getting upset reason previously mentioned.

Reasons giving for entering the pitch was to highlight the plight of the club, but this could be done in a manner which does not put anyone at potential risk. In this respect I’m thinking of the tennis ball protest that was mentioned by a Blackpool fan. If say just prior to teams entering the field of play a numbers of tennis balls (as an example) were thrown onto the pitch, this would get National attention in a non negative way, nobody would be put at risk and for me all boxes ticked.

Yes there is a right to protest but it should be done in a way which doesn’t compromise others so perhaps thinking a little bit outside the box is needed. Now is the time for unity as a fan base and not actions which can cause fraction which is what we are seeing now …

Anyway my 2 penny worth which is hopefully a balanced viewpoint

With all the respect in the world, the problem with this comment is, that some of your posts on here recently in response to protests, pitch invasions, etc. have been quite snidey and divisive in themselves. Anything but "focusing on what brings the fans together". I'm sure (and hope) you don't mean it that way but that is how it comes across. Yes it would be nice for everyone to be on the same page, but I get the feeling that you expect that page to be your page.
I accept your views and that you share them with the best of intent. In the same way I assure you my comment is genuine and trust you to do likewise. I am certainly not going to get personal, I don't expect everyone to be on my page (they are not) and I hope that you don't expect everyone to be on yours either (..because they are not). That is a reality played out at length through now many many posts. That surely cannot be a subject of debate? So your feeling is misplaced.

If everyone stays where they are (that applies both ways) then the reality is none us is "focusing on what brings the fans together" and we will go around in circles. Yesterday was a new low as a Southend fan. i won't be the only one wanting to move on.

I've supported SUFC as boy and man for over 60 years now.I thought Southend's performance against Chesterfield was the worst game I've ever seenThere's only one person responsible for the state of affairs the club's in and that's clearly the Chairman..Normally I wouldn't condone any sort of pitch invasion during the game but I thought Saturday's protest against the Chairman was fully justified and much more entertaining than the match itself.Credit to Chesterfield and their supporters.They know the pain of supporting a NL club.After 4 seasons they seem to have found a way out of the hole they were in.One thing's for sure we won't be returning to L2 any time soon.If fact we'll do well to avoid a 3rd consecutive relegation by the time we play Torquay in May.

Last edited:
Poor on the pitch.

Behaviour of some fans an utter disgrace. Those that came on the pitch have completely undermined the protest groups, divided the fans, were roundly booed and seemed to find it funny. I expect everyone will again say we don’t know who they are and who organises them, and we didn’t ask them to do it (whilst not asking them not to in which place they are compliant). Worst were those red card holders stupidly chanting Martin out while they were on the pitch therefore encouraging them further. To be fair the majority with the red cards were disgusted and telling them to get off. I understand the police have extensive footage so a knock at the door over the next two weeks will probably at least remove the smiles.

That all said the budget is sufficient to mean probably PB will have to fall on his sword. I take no pleasure in saying this. Bizarrely the thing that may well prevent this Ron not wanting to be seen giving in to thugs.

Edit Brown gone. No option.

Not what I saw in the East Reds. The protesters were loudly clapped and cheered by many in the East (including myself).I even saw some people actively applauding them in the DB too.

Last edited:
Which goes back to what I've said several times that banners are not allowed to cover advertising boards. The stewards were trying to stop that from happening. It's a very unfortunate set of events, lessons to be learned on both sides - but if they had not been on the pitch, none of that would have happened.

Actually, if you go frame by frame, it's the capped steward's right hand who is pushing at the fan.
The fan tries to push it away, and that's followed by the push over the wall.
If the stewards had planned ahead, they might have had the strategy to deal with a protest they'd already seen on Tuesday.
Instead, far from pro-active, they don't really know what to do? Confiscate the banner? Usher the fans back? Fight with them?
Yeah, I know the limitations of the job, but all the same, it didn't look very professional.
It is not the the capped steward who pushed the fan over the wall.

Not what I saw in the East Reds. The protesters were loudly clapped and cheered by many in the East (including myself).I even saw some people actively applauding them in the DB too.
Same as me in the East Blacks. Didn't hear any boos at all apart from at the loud speaker announcers. Granted not everyone was clapping or chanting "Martin out" but a fair few were. So that is representatives from the East Blacks, Greens and Reds that have all stated the same.

Very little support from my block in the West apart from some old *** telling them to get off the pitch. We hear what we want to here. For me the chants were few and far between and from the usual suspects.

TBF I did hear a couple of old ****s in the gents after the game (in East Reds) saying they didn't know what the protesters wanted as "Ron Martin wasn't to blame for anything." You couldn't make it up. :Whistling:

Back