• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0, Coventry City 2

My view of the two big decisions.
Goal, no foul. Mitchell-Nelson got the ball caught in his feet, and got it nicked off him. They bumped, but not enough for a foul. He will learn from it and next time kick it out.
Red card. Studs were up, out of control. But we knew the ref wouldn't send him off as he had a very biased display.

Ok, i'm gonna pretend they are not kids, apart from Coker who really is as he is still at school ffs ! The lads have terrible habit of not getting stuck in when the other team break, especially when we have our tails up. The second goal, Richards mate just boot the ball out, other than that i thought the lad done really well. Mantom needs pushing out of the centre cos he cant play alongside Milligan, both too much reactionary play and not anywhere near positive enough. Kelman needs a battler alongside him to shine, yes a Ranger if you must, but was rubbish today up against three centre halfs. Egbri needs to focus on getting past his man and whipping the ball in, which he couldnt do today, was a poor man's JCR out wide. Barrett had some really poor touches and some real good touches, so an average game but he looked overawed. Elvis done well, steady and has a panache about him and seems wasted at right back. Ox was in top form, great decision making, reaction saves and kicking. Coker done well to stop their full back getting time on the ball as they love to play wide, but couldnt conjour up anything attacking of note which is his job really. Goodship needs to up his game, his workrate and just didnt show he wanted it badly enough. Dieng still looks like he is learning to play at the back, looked good today as Coventry went sideways and wings, until they hit through the middle and Dieng just doesnt read when its coming to his man quick enough. Clifford, very tidy player with a bit of aggression about him, impressive. All in all, we are good technically, comfortable on the ball and will play nice triangles and importantly everyone on the team wants to try and do well. Which despite all these faults, i'll pay my £25 a game and support them. Get Mclaughlin back out wide, get Barrett in the middle, get a ball winner up top next to young Charlie and get Elvis in at centre back (he is ready for it) with Demi back in at right back. And lets get in that box when the ball arrives. More crossing and turn those defenders of theirs around and more chances will come. Really enjoyed todays game against a team that should win the div. I love watching the kids develop in League One UTB.

Elvis will not be a centre back. The last two games before today, he gave two free headers for goals. He didn't even try to jump. You can't be a centre back if you won't jump for the ball.

I get you 70s i really do, i would hope he'd sort that out with Sol in training. Unfortunately awareness i dont think, can be trained easily which is Dieng's problem. Cheers mate

As always people see things differently in the post match thread. I agree with much of what’s been said.

Clifford - a real talent and looks composed as well as gifted.

Elvis- much better out wide and great when he goes forward but, rather than the early post that he always looks to go forward, I tear my hair out that he always turns back in and looks to play to the centre back. He needs to drive or pass forward much more where he is dangerous.

Egbri - just not strong enough and therefore has to offer lots going forward. When Elvis did push on he never seemed to know where to go.

Barrett- needs to be given more time but looks too much like the non-league player we signed at the moment.

I wonder what Hutch (or maybe his dad) has done to upset Sol. He’s too much of a luxury to play in a midfield 2 unless alongside a player with a a real engine but when he came on he offered so much more that the widemen on the pitch.

Sol has been dealt a ridiculous hand and we are playing much better but the jury is still out for me based on some of his decision making.
Coventry were a better side and we had the rub of the green other than the officials decisions but at 1 0 down it felt that we had lost all energy and desire.

Being optimistic I hope with players coming back and supplementing the youngsters we have maybe we will start next year in good shape.

Last edited:
(Cov fan) I don't mean to sound demeaning but it looked like men against boys (I understand you had a lot of young lads on - so do we). That's the worse we've played for a while, so many unenforced errors.

Good luck going forwards guys and gals.
I'm guessing your young players are there because they're good enough though, ours are players a year or two from being ready that are on the pitch because we don't have enough fit senior players to form a starting XI.

Firstly I can't fault the effort .....but reality check the majority of the u23s should still be playing at Boots and Laces and not being subjected to this ...One or two like Clifford will come through this but to believe that the squad will compete in league 2 is a dream.We seriously missed Demi and Macca and without Oxley and the woodwork would have lost more heavily against a not outstanding Coventry side.
0 points from the last 9 shows any revival spluttering.
Well it won't be too long now before we are playing for nothing and watching half a team that won't even be here next season.
Must renew that season ticket asap

SOUTHEND United boss Sol Campbell felt his young Shrimpers side gave it their best shot against Coventry City this afternoon.

More...

Enjoyable game, thought we competed in many areas, 3 woodworks and 2 goals showed the gulf, and we need a leader on the pitch, heads went down , and this is where a leader is needed
Clifford was superb and Oxley kept the goals to a minimum, bench was like a school boy team and this is showing when we need a player to change the game

(Cov fan) I don't mean to sound demeaning but it looked like men against boys (I understand you had a lot of young lads on - so do we). That's the worse we've played for a while, so many unenforced errors.

we had four first team players playing at the end. It was men against boys, literally. one of our subs has to get permission from his head teacher to play.

Enjoyable game, thought we competed in many areas, 3 woodworks and 2 goals showed the gulf, and we need a leader on the pitch, heads went down , and this is where a leader is needed
Clifford was superb and Oxley kept the goals to a minimum, bench was like a school boy team and this is showing when we need a player to change the game

I think Elvis will be a good leader on the pitch in the future, he is already encouraging the younger players and quite vocal - whether or not that will be with us, time will tell..

Overall I thought we were almost at their level until their subs. So often you can tell a lot by the bench. Theirs changed the game, ours are just off their paper round.

Oxley did well, almost back to his standard when he was player of the year. Elvis is like the captain. Talks to players first over to Mitchell Nelson after the goal. First to talk to Taylor when he came on.
Clifford looks our best left back. He could be our left back for a decade.
Milligan was excellent, best game. Thought Mantom was alright, worked hard.
Egbri didn't get a chance to do anything. Only given the ball to take on his full back once, beat him. Needs to be given the chance to do that more.
Barratt was always where the ball has just been. Had a couple of good moments second half but otherwise not up to it today.
Goodship was a bad ship. Did nothing and missed our best chance.
Kelman did nothing, but is tiny and can't be expected to so anything up against big centre backs. Needs a big man along side to do the dirty work and physical stuff.

To me Hutchinson should have replaced Goodship and played in that hole.

We gave it our best today but Coventry were a cut above. Amazing job their boss is doing. Their fans let themselves down, ****s, chanting about us going down, asking Campbell the score.
Shame we didn't ask them what it's like to have a ground

No one else has mentioned it , but the players reactions to the first goal spoke volumes. They were devastated, especially dieng and Milligan. Earlier In the season that hurt wasn’t there.

The game turned when O”hare came on. Their fans reactions said it all, and 5 mins later he scored and caused us problems for the rest of the game.

Best I have ever seen Milligan play, and I thought dieng was excellent as well.
In fairness look at their league position, they didn’t tear us apart ( although I appreciate without oxley and the woodwork it could have been a cricket score so maybe rosetinted ?).

We enjoyed today and was proud of the team again.

Overall I thought we were almost at their level until their subs. So often you can tell a lot by the bench. Theirs changed the game, ours are just off their paper round.

Oxley did well, almost back to his standard when he was player of the year. Elvis is like the captain. Talks to players first over to Mitchell Nelson after the goal. First to talk to Taylor when he came on.
Clifford looks our best left back. He could be our left back for a decade.
Milligan was excellent, best game. Thought Mantom was alright, worked hard.
Egbri didn't get a chance to do anything. Only given the ball to take on his full back once, beat him. Needs to be given the chance to do that more.
Barratt was always where the ball has just been. Had a couple of good moments second half but otherwise not up to it today.
Goodship was a bad ship. Did nothing and missed our best chance.
Kelman did nothing, but is tiny and can't be expected to so anything up against big centre backs. Needs a big man along side to do the dirty work and physical stuff.

To me Hutchinson should have replaced Goodship and played in that hole.

We gave it our best today but Coventry were a cut above. Amazing job their boss is doing. Their fans let themselves down, ****s, chanting about us going down, asking Campbell the score.
Shame we didn't ask them what it's like to have a ground
Oooh the irony of your last sentence

Dieng is growing into a proper captain, noticed him taking responsibility, encouraging - especially young Taylor - and being decisive. He and Milligan were both quietly impressive. Elvis had his usual sort of game and Ox did well before succumbing to injury.

Charlie doesn't suit the loan striker role, anymore than Jack Payne ever did. Egbri and Clifford were both bright, Egbri seemed to get fouled lots but little given. Clifford is going to be a big talent. I thought Goodship did ok in an unfamiliar role. Aside from a great bit of skill and two shots Sam Barratt didn't really seem to know what his role was, and Sam Mantom was very hit and miss.

Which just leaves Mitchell-Nelson, he'll be kicking himself over the 2nd goal, but I thought he did very well otherwise.

There is hope for the future, it's just a shame there's no hope for the present.

Tom Clifford looks a quality footballer to me. Got that bit of time and composure on the ball that others lack.

Liam Walsh was on a different level, for them.

You’re also top of the table (lucky!) and that will have had something to do with the men against boys look of things. We have been unbelievably dreadful this year and the kids, since they’ve come in over the last 2-3 weeks have been a revelation in terms of effort. I’m really proud of them but would not have expected a win today. Our seniors lost 7-1 at home to Doncaster - they were a total disgrace. These kids have a bright future and will benefit from this experience. It’s just great to have a team that gives a **** - if they win it’s a bonus. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Back