• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-0 Blackpool

Dear oh dear, what an utter mess Blackpool are in.

You have to feel sorry for them, but that was a performance devoid of spirit, energy and above all, quality.

Never mind your views on Blackpool, AndyT, what did you make of us lot?

Now that's a good question 'Shrimp in a bowl'.

Well, overall we did enough, given several key injuries.

Thompson and Barrett had excellent games, with Thommo nicking MOM for me.

Thought the midfield worked hard without gelling overly.

We do need to shoot first time a bit more, but when we stepped up the pace in the second half and put them on the back-foot, we got the killer goal and made the pressure count.

Another here who thought Atkinson had a good game. Payne was brilliant in the 1st half, but disappeared a bit in the 2nd, seemed to me they'd worked him out. I also thought Hurst did ok again, but Worrall definitely suffers for having a "senior" wing partner to work with, it was noticeable that Worrall's best efforts came after Hurst had gone off.

I have to confess to being too bloody cold to really have paid attention to it all, first half was pretty uninspiring, second a little better.

All 7s, except Thompson, Atkinson and Payne who got 8s.

Last edited:
It's very interesting that people are saying Hurst did ok even though he wasted two great opportunities that were brilliantly created by Payne. I do feel if Weston had missed them there wouldn't be as many people saying, Weston had a good game. I felt Hurst played with a league 2 mentality today, when he got the ball in great positions he thought he had more time, which is what you get in league 2. He needs to adapt to league 1 and realise you don't get the luxury of time on the ball, you need to make a decision with the ball quick. Hopefully more game time will allow him to do this.

Good win, it felt like a time warp to a year ago in some respects. Blackpool never really threatened other than from corners (got to sort that out) and looked like relegation fodder, but it did look destined to finish 0-0. Thankfully we managed one moment of real quality and got the win.

Bentley 6 - Didn't have an awful lot to do but made no mistakes.
White 6 - Decent defensively, didn't offer too much going forward.
Thompson 8 MOM - Possibly the best game I've seen from him. Defensively he was very good, and his driving run set up the chance for his goal.
Barrett 7 - Typical whole hearted performance.
Coker 6 - No issues defensively but he's got to improve the set pieces or give someone else a chance.

Worrall 6 - Below par overall but redeemed himself with a fantastic cross for the goal.
Leonard 7 - Played well in the holding role, In an ideal world I'd prefer to see him further forward.
Atkinson 7 - Probably his best performance of the season. I was impressed with how he got stuck in and he drove the play forward well in the 2nd half.
Payne 8 - Best performance I've seen from Jack at home. First 30 mins he was excellent. He did have a quiet spell but got involved again in the last 20 mins and looked the most likely to make something happen.
Hurst 5 - Some good touches but in the final 3rd he was disappointing. Wasted all of the best chances in the first half including one that looked clear cut.

Mooney 6 - Did ok and made a good chance for himself in the first half which he dragged wide. Faded out a bit after the break.

Subs

Pigott 7 - Made a difference and stretched Blackpool's defence.
Rea - Not enough time to rate.

Considering our injury problems a win's a win and I went home happy, hopefully we'll have a few more players back over the next week.

Highlight of the match other than the goal - the young lad (about 5 or 6) sitting next to me who regularly referred to Coker as 'Bun head'.

Last edited:
Good result. Keeps us sniffing at play off positions. Atkinson good engine as always with some good play.
Lenny all action too.
Thompson edges MOM great challenge then rampage up pitch to finish move.
There were times today when payne looked the real deal, seriously good.
When some of the injured players come back we could maybe dream of a cheeky play off spot...although I still.maintain we need some pace up top.

As others have said, today's game was prey to the fortunes of the gusting wind and biting cold, for large parts of the 94 minutes it was not very good. However we did string several really neat moves together, especially in the first 25 minutes, which with better finishing (faster taken from Hurst and on target from Mooney) we could have been cruising to that elusive 3 goal fest BUT it didn't happen and a dis-organised, rag tag Blackpool worked their way into the game and dragged us down to their level (which will for them be L2 soon).
There was something not quite working with the Mooney/Payne partnership; Payne works his socks off and Mooney has made his better work rate there to be seen BUT he isn't the point man that is needed' more a second forward than line leader.
I can't fault anyone's work rate today but special mentions for Payne, and of course Thommo for the game reading and getting forward. Thommo has shown glimpses of his being a FOOTballer and he has shown more, more and again more in each of the last three games - is it that he, like Bolger, (and Rea) plays better alongside Adam?
When we get Hunt, Tims, Deegs, & Westy back we will be in good shape for the games ahead.
UTB!

Really really dull game today, but got the result and that's all that matters, I won't bother with ratings as it was pretty close for the whole team. Apart from Payne who stood out above everyone else. Bentley had one save to make that I can remember. Other then that he looked extremely bored and trying to keep warm. Something I noticed what I havnt before, is how much of a intelligent footballer Hurst is, he sees things on and off the ball that others in the team seem late to react to, or don't notice at all. Shame he didn't have the finishing touch today or he couldve bagged a hat full of goals. Looks promising though.

Terrible conditions to play in ,just one of those games where the result was the main thing although you can't knock the players effort and team spirit.Need those injured players back asap as the options are very limited.Hunt and his fitness could well be the defining factor in our season ,we need that experience

Terrible conditions to play in ,just one of those games where the result was the main thing although you can't knock the players effort and team spirit.Need those injured players back asap as the options are very limited.Hunt and his fitness could well be the defining factor in our season ,we need that experience
Isn't the result the main thing in every game?

As others have said, today's game was prey to the fortunes of the gusting wind and biting cold, for large parts of the 94 minutes it was not very good. However we did string several really neat moves together, especially in the first 25 minutes, which with better finishing (faster taken from Hurst and on target from Mooney) we could have been cruising to that elusive 3 goal fest BUT it didn't happen and a dis-organised, rag tag Blackpool worked their way into the game and dragged us down to their level (which will for them be L2 soon).
There was something not quite working with the Mooney/Payne partnership; Payne works his socks off and Mooney has made his better work rate there to be seen BUT he isn't the point man that is needed' more a second forward than line leader.
I can't fault anyone's work rate today but special mentions for Payne, and of course Thommo for the game reading and getting forward. Thommo has shown glimpses of his being a FOOTballer and he has shown more, more and again more in each of the last three games - is it that he, like Bolger, (and Rea) plays better alongside Adam?
When we get Hunt, Tims, Deegs, & Westy back we will be in good shape for the games ahead.
UTB!

Good report.Cheers.Noticed you in the photo on the OS behind PB, wearing your SUFC beanie.:thumbsup:

I don't think there have been any signs at all of a Mooney/Payne partnership personally.

Spot on review.

Another here who thought Atkinson had a good game. Payne was brilliant in the 1st half, but disappeared a bit in the 2nd, seemed to me they'd worked him out. I also thought Hurst did ok again, but Worrall definitely suffers for having a "senior" wing partner to work with, it was noticeable that Worrall's best efforts came after Hurst had gone off.

I have to confess to being too bloody cold to really have paid attention to it all, first half was pretty uninspiring, second a little better.

All 7s, except Thompson, Atkinson and Payne who got 8s.

Can't agree regarding Atko. Couple of really good tackles, constantly in the faces of the Blackpool players and made the pass of the match. Midway in the second half, received the ball 30 odd yards out with a Blackpool player right in front of him. Dropped his shoulder one way, then the other way, totally confusing the Blackpool player. Atko then pushed to his right before playing an exquisitely weighted ball between 2 Blackpool defenders that John White met before putting in a great cross that we so nearly scored from. Great performance from Atko and worthy of his place

We'll said; also made the goal after winning the ball back from Leonard's poor pass

Back