• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-0 Blackpool

Isn't the result the main thing in every game?

Unfortunately there are some posters on here that do not agree. They are the ones who still can not get over the fact that Brown has been a decent manager for us despite all the razor sharp punditry they dish up....funnily enough when we don't win....and even when we do win they still moan because it wasn't quite the way they would have done it.

Disappointing game played in a strong bitterly cold wind, we are so obviously missing Hunt and another decent striker to give us options. That said I will take a scrappy 1-0 anytime, it hasn't hindered a certain London team from winning honours :winking:

1st season back in league 1 and finding our feet, would take our current position now as a finishing point, any higher would be a bonus.

Disappointing game played in a strong bitterly cold wind, we are so obviously missing Hunt and another decent striker to give us options. That said I will take a scrappy 1-0 anytime, it hasn't hindered a certain London team from winning honours :winking:

1st season back in league 1 and finding our feet, would take our current position now as a finishing point, any higher

would be a bonus.

Oh yeah, forgotten about him! Likely to see him this side of Christmas ?

Too cold
Crap game
Jack was brilliant
Too cold
Seen better games over the park
Too cold

Poor game, tough conditions, 3 points, and that's the most important stat. A lot of huffing and puffing against a Blackpool side who second half played for a draw. To our credit we kept going stayed patient and gained the reward. Stand out players for me were Thompson, Barrett, Payne, Worrall and my MOM Atkinson. No one had a bad game, it was just one of those grind out the result days. A word for the Blue Voice, today like many times this season were excellent and stayed behind the team.

Cant disagree with a lot of that. Very difficult conditions and it was bloody freezing! Felt a bit sorry for Bentley, as he didnt have much to do, he must have been even colder than we were.

It was never going to be good considering the weather and the opposition. Positives for me were having Barrett back, he was excellent and nothing went past him yesterday, Thompson edged mom for me, fab defending and started the move for his goal, Payne getting the full 90 minutes, Worrall playing and Hurst starting to look more like the player he was a couple of seasons ago. Even Atkinson, who I feel is underrated really held his own in midfield and made some crucial passes and tackles. Thing was, no one played badly, but we do need to sort out our finishing, we should have buried them in the first half an hour!

Unfortunately, I still think that is down to Brown and his obsession with defending at all costs, so cant see anything changing while he is in charge.

Poor finishing is nothing to do with Brown's defending mentality.

Yes, I thought that too when I read that poster's comments. I am sure PB doesn't need to tell them to hit the target/goal/work the keeper etc OR to take the chance on PDQ.
However, as has been stated before, some attacking coaching and mindset can be strengthened, encouraged on the training ground and we don't know and can only guess at how much of that takes place and to what degree.

Can't agree regarding Atko. Couple of really good tackles, constantly in the faces of the Blackpool players and made the pass of the match. Midway in the second half, received the ball 30 odd yards out with a Blackpool player right in front of him. Dropped his shoulder one way, then the other way, totally confusing the Blackpool player. Atko then pushed to his right before playing an exquisitely weighted ball between 2 Blackpool defenders that John White met before putting in a great cross that we so nearly scored from. Great performance from Atko and worthy of his place
Looking back and thinking about it, think you're right and my comments were very harsh on Atkinson. Yesterday was one of his best performances in a while and hopefully he'll continue proving he deserves his place. I haven't been a big fan of late but Sheffield and yesterday were an improvement.

Atkinson and Thommo were the stand out players for us.
Payne got through a lot of work, but Blackpool, who I thought were poor on the ball but worked hard when we had it, put 2 men on him and gradually forced him deeper, they seemed to double up on anyone who got the ball and the only time we got free was when we moved Iit quickly.
I thought the two defences played to the conditions better than the forwards, both teams played quite a high line and it meant that for long periods the game was condensed in the middle third.

This is my issue. As well as Payne is playing, if we use him in this formation we only have 1.5 strikers on the pitch. When he then gets gradually marked out of the game and deprived of space, which often happens to him at Roots Hall, then it's down to just the 1 striker......and people wonder why we didn't put more goals past them! Nothing against Payne at all, I just can't see where he fits into the team at home, he played well yesterday but I think we'd have been more likely to score more with Pigott and Mooney up top.

You say the only time we got free was when we moved it quickly, but that's my issue with the way we play. I like the short passing but it's not up-tempo enough. It's all too slow and cumbersome, easy to mark and easy to defend against.

The good thing about the last couple of games is that despite all the injuries and a relatively small squad we have dept in that all them are capable of stepping in and doing a job even at L1 level.

Spend big money on one or two player instead of depth and it goes horribly wrong if they get injuries- I think PB is doing a solid job of getting the max out of a relative low price squad and putting some 'bigger' clubs to shame.

This is my issue. As well as Payne is playing, if we use him in this formation we only have 1.5 strikers on the pitch. When he then gets gradually marked out of the game and deprived of space, which often happens to him at Roots Hall, then it's down to just the 1 striker......and people wonder why we didn't put more goals past them! Nothing against Payne at all, I just can't see where he fits into the team at home, he played well yesterday but I think we'd have been more likely to score more with Pigott and Mooney up top.

You say the only time we got free was when we moved it quickly, but that's my issue with the way we play. I like the short passing but it's not up-tempo enough. It's all too slow and cumbersome, easy to mark and easy to defend against.

I have to say today for the first time today I saw that Jack could make a very effective striker (we pigeon hole players very easily). He was certainly pushed well forward and created a number of opportunities for himself (probably at least half the attempts on goal came from him). Not everything came off but actually if you're up front it doesn't have to, you only have to get lucky once- and he has the skill and trickery that mean his chances of it coming off more than once in a game are pretty high.

Apropos nothing posted so far, I watched yesterday's match with Essex Radio commentary on my earphones. I tried it to see how on the money their commentating was versus what I was watching for myself. Apart from few synching issues I have to say that I was quite impressed that what I heard was what I saw. Only downside - no Clarky, it was Glen Pennyfather instead.

For me that was the best performance for quite some time from both Payne and Atkinson. Payne looks stronger and is more clinical with the ball. Atkinson has always been full of energy, but his overall contribution yesterday was significant to the result, not least the header of the line in the first half from Little(?), with Bentley well beaten.

I have to say today for the first time today I saw that Jack could make a very effective striker (we pigeon hole players very easily). He was certainly pushed well forward and created a number of opportunities for himself (probably at least half the attempts on goal came from him). Not everything came off but actually if you're up front it doesn't have to, you only have to get lucky once- and he has the skill and trickery that mean his chances of it coming off more than once in a game are pretty high.

Welcome aboard to the latest recruit. In the first half yesterday we did not pressure Blackpool's slow CB's enough. There was no one running beyond Mooney as we were playing the 1.5 forward formation. In fact if Jack had been right down the middle instead of arriving from too deep, he could have got on the end off that early Mooney shot that was scuffed wide.

When Mooney went off JP went very high up with Pigott and managed 2 shots, both on target, from inside the box. Although he was showing some good touches when he was playing much deeper it allowed Blackpool players to launch into some strong challenges out on both wings. As we could see late on yesterday and at Sheffield for his goal, JP would be more protected and certainly more dangerous in the penalty area

Had to go to a meeting, so couldnt get there, but could listen in.

Pennyfather comments along the lines of.......
Mooney drifts to wide and deep, putting in crosses when he should be receiving them. Mooney not blessed with pace to go past centre halves. Prefer Mooney laying deeper to use his skill and brain for someone else up front. Both sides playing far too deep and unable to take the ball on the full letting it bounce. "LACK OF PACE UPFRONT is the BIGGEST issue." for Southend. Good tactically but not strong enough upfront.". Mooney better in Paynes position.

Back to me...
He finally puts on a second forward with 19 minutes to go and we score " ( albeit by Thompson-but signalled [positive intent by putting 2 upfront )

Back to Pennyfather.... We have scored .. Rea coming on going 4-5-1.... Southend now looking a little nervous.
Summary , please for the first time in 3 years could we get someone in with pace and power upfront as many other clubs have successfully managed? 5 goals in 4 games for Jacob Murphy?!

Back