• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

F***ing useless. Awful. Useless. What else is there to say?

Clohessy was the stand out player. How we could do with a player of his quality in the LB position. Great pace, good going forward and good defending.

Defence was shakey throughout. However the absence of midfield didn't help, we missed having a holding midfield to give any sort of protection. Ball after ball came through tot he defence without a challenge, rubbish. 2 games in 3 days might have been a bit much for Phillips and Barker.

Midfield were poor. Timlin tried to get the ball down but made a poor mistake for the goal. Great goal however. Leonard demonstrates how we need another attacking winger, someone, anyone with pace. Please.

Up front.

Well.

What is the point?

Why was Dickinson there? Long ball to a 6 foot 3 player who can't head, can't run with the ball or shoot. Should have scored the header towards the end.

All in all it was just a disgrace. How on earth we are in the top three I can't understand, but I guess that shows just how dogsh*t this league is.

Fair play to Dagenham who were bright, energetic and got the ball into good positions. If I were a Daggers fan I'd be upset with a point, should have had all 3.

Finally...

Do we need Bilel?

Yes, and back as quickly as possible. The lack of passion and fight is awful without him in the side. I don't care if he is a liability.

I would rather have too much passion than none at all.

Useless Southend, totally useless.

totally agree

I can swallow watching 'direct' football if it brings results, but what I can't handle is what I saw today - that is a side of lesser quality totally outplay us. How we came away with a point I don't know - the past 6-8 weeks, we seem to have lost that hunger, graft and passion that were the ingredients to see us top the table.

If we have a side who gives everything on that pitch, I can to watch week in and week out and be proud. Today Dagenham simply wanted it more and that hurts me more than any style of football, or who is playing etc etc

Kind of how I feel, though I really don't get the criticism of Dickinson on here. I thought he used his height fairly well both in attack and in defence, there were two or three of the many goal area skirmishes where it was Dicko's head that cleared the ball out.

As it goes I thought Clohessy and Timlin were our stand out players today, although Phillips also played well, and I'm willing to forgive Timlin the error that lead to their goal when others of our team seem to consistently make similar errors. It was bad luck that his error was the one that was punished worst, it could equally have been Kane or Barker in a similar position.

The hoofball has to stop, that's what it is and that's what has to be faced up to. We have quality in our midfield so let's use it. I was quite impressed with Benyon, he could easily cause other teams problems.

All in all, I think Dagenham played a dogged and determined game and deserved at least the point. We lived very dangerously at times and didn't have a clue how to counteract their attacks, although I thought we handled Montano fairly well. If they can keep that up, they won't be going down any time soon.

So what do we do then guys? I've seen us a fair number of times this season. We've usually won or drawn, but I've not seen us play well yet. But we're third in the league. We've got Paul Sturrock as manager who's career has generally been about delivering results, irrespective of the way his teams play.

If we're really honest, would we be where we are if we had played 'football' all season? I don't think we can say that.

So whilst fans are cheesed off (I am too) would you honestly trade it for a lower league position? I'm not sure I would. The latter months of Tilson where we played OK but generally got mullered were more frustrating.

Is there a bit of an over reaction after todays result and performance?

Lots of the points on here about the performance as a team and individually are fair enough, it certainly didn't look like a display from a team chasing promotion. The over reaction seems to centre around the tactics that Sturrock chooses, but it has to be said they haven't seemed to have done us too bad so far.

I felt that we would have to be challenging for promotion this season under PS and if we weren't in and around it by Christmas then questions would have to be asked. I know all about the lack of money and players that were available to PS at the start, but with the players we kept in the summer and the addition of a few new faces then I expected a promotion push from the team. For my mind, not only are we in around it, we've a great chance of winning the league.

Results bring happy fans and the more good results we get, the higher our expectation and, by definition, the more frustrated we all get when we don't win games we expect to. I have belief that PS can take us up this season and if by doing that we're hitting more long balls than we want to see, then that's fine with me.

I want us to get out his league and I think Sturrock's the man to achieve that. Next games a big one and so is the one after that and the one after that and the one after that. I suppose it's the pressure of being where we are in the table!

UTB

Seems to be an awful lot of disputing the "long directed" style vs hoofball argument going on here tonight. Will Sturrock's mouthpiece come on again to defend the current form or is this now unlikely judging by his dejected stance after their goal & at full-time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a bit of an over reaction after todays result and performance?

There is always an over reaction. The same ones saying we have turned the corner by beating AFC Wimbledon 4-1 on NYD, are the same ones moaning.

MOAN MOAN MOAN.

3rd in the league. Cracking goal from Timlin, stupid mistake for the goal. Not too ****ed off with a point as they probably could have won it! Saying that we also had some good chances to win it at the end.

Weird mistakes cropping up at the back that need to be stamped out. Still it's a point against a Daggers team who should be given credit.

Some lazy mistakes creeping in, especially from the most solid players i.e Barker and Phillips.

Lets keep it going!

3rd! WELL CHUFFED!

So what do we do then guys? I've seen us a fair number of times this season. We've usually won or drawn, but I've not seen us play well yet. But we're third in the league. We've got Paul Sturrock as manager who's career has generally been about delivering results, irrespective of the way his teams play.

If we're really honest, would we be where we are if we had played 'football' all season? I don't think we can say that.

So whilst fans are cheesed off (I am too) would you honestly trade it for a lower league position? I'm not sure I would. The latter months of Tilson where we played OK but generally got mullered were more frustrating.

Great post and echos how I feel at the moment.

Dagenham were more than good value for their point today and could have quite easily gone away with all three. We seem to always come unstuck against those sides that we think we just have to turn up to beat.

I hate our style of play at the moment and it seems to be even worse than last season but maybe thats just a nostalgic view. However I'm of the opinion that we might just have enough to scrape up this season and then we need to reassess things in the summer. I lived with a Plymouth fan at uni and he told me that it was just the same during their successful years. He said you'll leave games wondering how the hell you won, but you did. Sturrock knows his stuff and although its painful to watch we are still 3rd in the league and would go back 2nd if we win our game in hand.

We seem to have a real confidence issue in the team at the moment. If we get the first goal it tends to settle us down and then we start to play but we couldn't even manage that today. Despite the win at Wimbledon we still don't have the confidence back from losing those games in succession recently. If we can get it back and string a few results together I think we'll be ok to finish in the top three but this needs to happen quickly before Cheltenham and Crawley pull away and Swindon catch us up.

I don't know where to even start with that. It was so poor, and very painful to watch.

This style of football is just so, so frustrating. Our squad is oozing with quality at League 2 level. Man-for-man, pound-for-pound, it is easily one of the best squads in the division. So why are we playing the long ball all the time? It's inaccurate and it's speculative. There were three or four glimpses toay of what could be done with the ball on the deck, and in those three or four moves, we absolutely carved Dagenham in two. I could see it, the people around me could see it.....so why can the manager not see that we will do far more damage by keeping it on the deck? What does he see in the long ball style played today that makes it seem worth perservering with to him? What does he see that the vast majority of us do not?

In some ways I can see the reasoning behind the style of play. Get the ball into the final third of the pitch as quickly as possible, put the opposition defence under pressure, run the channels and play our football there. The aim is noble enough. But League 2 players do not have the technical skill, nor do they have the accuracy of pass, to pull it off consistently well. Therefore, what could be an effective style of play ends up being 'hot potato' football. Some players just seem to want to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible, as if they are afraid of making a mistake or getting tackled.

Too many players receive the ball at their feet and, without even looking up to see where they are aiming, swing a foot through it. Too many players also, for some reason, leap up and header a ball forward when it is in the air - at the time, there are no opposition players around them, they are under no pressure. They could bring the ball down, put a foot on it and pass it accurately along the floor to the feet of a team mate. But no, instead, and in the name of getting the ball forward as quickly as possible, they just put a head on it aimlessly and it all turns into a game of head tennis which invariably we end up losing. Both the aimless long ball and the aimless header results in a very frustrating and very cheap and needless relinquishing of possession. That is why we have never dominated and will never dominate possession or have tons more shots as opposed to the opposition. Every time we have the ball, we just give it straight back to the opposition and put ourselves under pressure.

I don't understand where the difficulty lies in seeing this for the management. Surely it is of some concern to them? We have been doing it for months, and doing it today undid us on two fronts. Firstly, we didn't have enough possession of the ball and so didn't have enough chances to score because we kept coneding possession with aimless and inaccurate long balls and secondly, we foolishly kept the style of football up for the last 15 minutes and allowed Dagenham to build up the pressure on our penalty area. I keep saying it - Dagenham might have smelt blood towards the end, but what can the opposition do to us if they do not have possession of the ball? The answer is NOTHING. So why keep giving the ball straight to an opposition which is in the ascendency and smelling blood? We might as well pick the ball up, put it at their striker's feet, tell Luke Daniels to stand aside and invite the striker to kick it into our open net. It is utterly, completely thick and stupid. For God's sake, get the ball down, pass it to feet, keep possession, get the opposition doing the chasing, frustrate them and see the game out.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sturrock and appreciate what he has done here so far, but he is supposed to be a top-notch coach with years of good experience - where the heck are his observational skills? It defies belief that he is not seeing what the majority of us seeing. He should be observing when the style is not working, and he should have seen first hand enough times this season that playing that style of football, continually conceding possession and putting pressure on ourselves for the last 15 minutes of a match when 1-0 up and looking shaky is stupidity personified. To me, it's basics an I can't believe that it's not basics to the manager as well. Now is the time to put a Plan B into action and to play our stuff on the deck more, because with players of this calibre we will carve most teams at this level to shreds if we get it down and play the pass and move style.

Anyway.

Daniels 6 - Couple of good saves and claimed some crosses well. Kicking leaves a little to be desired and wish he'd look for a throw more often instead of kicking long all the time to a player who rarely wins anything in the air.

Clohessy 7 - Very good performace from Mr. Consistently Reliable. Good tackling, great defensive positioning, worked hard, got up the line well. Crossing a little disappointing sometimes. Worked well with Leonard.

Barker 4 - Unusually poor today, positioning and committment in the tackle were both lacking and lost concentration several times, almost gifting Dagenham a couple of goals. Didn't look at all confident.

Phillips 7.5 MOM - Looked a little shaky first ten minutes but thereafter he dominated in the air and was strong in the tackle. Positioning good too. Saved our skins twice, once with the sliding block after Barker's mistake and once when their winger got into the left-hand corner of our penalty box and was shaping up for a clear shot on goal. Dispossessed him excellently. Effectively did the job of two centre backs and carried Barker for much of the game.

Prosser 5 - Didn't do anything wrong but didn't do much right either. Managed to let Daggers' right winger ghost past him and get to the ball ahead of him having started behind which was frustrating, and also is one of the more guilty parties for the aimless hoofs forward.

Hall 6.5 - Showed glimpses, crossing was good, ran well. Makes the wrong decision sometimes, especially passing inside when the overlap is on.

Grant 5.5 - Fairly anonoymous - was he playing? Shocking miss at the end, too.

Timlin 6.5 - Cracking goal. You won't see technique much better than that. Frustrating sometimes because his vision is excellent and he can see runs that others can't but his execution of his passes leaves a lot to be desired. Peach of a ball right into Hall's path on the wing with the outside of his left foot came off, but they are few and far between! Ran a lot, tackled well. Would have gotten a 7 but loses half a point for the shocking mistake which led to the equaliser.

Leonard 6 - Solid. Works well with Clohessy, they often swap positions. Has a good cross and a great long throw. Concedes possession a little too often and lacks the composure to put in a good cross on the run.

Benyon 6 - Little to do. Holds it up reasonably well when he gets a chance even though it's not his job, has a turn of pace about him and harries the defence well but, just as I suspected, he does NOT fit into our style of play. We need him in the box, not running the channels.

Dickinson 6 - Led the line well, worked hard, is clumsy and awkward and therefore was difficult to mark. A couple of irritating misses, and cannot take a player on for toffee. He goes past his man, but leaves the ball behind! Odd.

Subs:

Ferdinand 5 - Offered little, conceded possession too often and got a silly booking.

Harris 6 - Showed some nice touches and pulled their defence about a little but came on when we were under pressure and was never going to get the service.

One thing i never get, and this goes for Tillys Blues too and a whole of opposition sides so its not just a pop because we didnt win today

Why do we need 11 players defending a corner?? who is Hall going to outjump to clear the ball? leave him on halfway, which'll mean 2 defenders staying back to watch him and thus allieviate a bit of pressure on our goal as well as the obvious Daniels/Morris collects the ball and clears quickly into their half and hope Hall can latch onto it (this is an area where the hoof/long pass can be effective IMO)

Thought we were well lucky not to have lost today, it feels like a defeat but I keep reminding myself we did at least get a draw. I do think that although on occasions we are capable of some really good incisive football when the ball is kept on the deck, there are a lot of other times when it all breaks down because of very poor passing, balls overhit, underhit or just plain miss hit to opponents.

We also seemed very quiet and nervy today ( players and crowd) and mistakes from the usually so reliable Phillips and Barker did little to help but to be fair both especially Phillips put it behind them and improved.

All very depressing but nothing a win against Port Vale wouldnt put right. Plenty of time to start putting things right but the sooner the better for all of us.

One thing i never get, and this goes for Tillys Blues too and a whole of opposition sides so its not just a pop because we didnt win today

Why do we need 11 players defending a corner?? who is Hall going to outjump to clear the ball? leave him on halfway, which'll mean 2 defenders staying back to watch him and thus allieviate a bit of pressure on our goal as well as the obvious Daniels/Morris collects the ball and clears quickly into their half and hope Hall can latch onto it (this is an area where the hoof/long pass can be effective IMO)

The answer (not that I agree with it) is that such a high percentage of goals are conceded from these set pieces so you drag everybody back so you have a numerical advantage which reduces the chances of the opposition scoring from it. It's obviously in a coaching manual somewhere as you see an awful lot of teams do it these days.

Agree with silent shrimper it could have been 1-6. Had Daggers had the ability to finish. We hadn't heeded the jammy victory at Dagenham, and again gave too much room to Montano.
Here goes the ratings (as this is what the thread title says!)

Daniels 8. MOM kept us in it time and time again, good handling, and distribution. Thank you for help. (we should be busting a gut to keep this guy on loan til the end of the season) Cheerio.

Clohessey 6.5 good attacking play in both halves, from our only half decent full back. Attacks well when Leonard is in front of him (you saw what happened when Leonard went off)

Barker 4. One of his off days. Lets hope he's now got it out of his system. (maybe still carrying a knock)

Phillips 6. Spent most of his time covering his other central defenders mistakes, but still managed to get forward.

Prosser 5. Got a knock for his troubles, distribution still hoof it. ( I think I just prefer Gilbert)

Leonard 6. Seems better away from home to me. Although didn't go forward with the ball on a couple of occasions when he could have. Nearly scored in the first half with a well worked free kick that took a deflection on to the bar. (unfortunately these free kicks seem to be our only attacking option)

Timlin 7. Hero to villain. Great strike for the goal, and a couple of tasty through balls in the second half that we should have done better with. All left foot though.

Grant 6. Seems to be annonymous to me for much of the game, then when it matters wasted two of our best chances near the end. One he tried to leather it when placement was the better option.

Hall 6.5 Better first half than second. Still doesn't go round asd many people as I think he is capable of.

Dickinson 7. Won a lot, held the ball up well, and beat defenders. Two decent opportunities to score. One he blasted when placing would have been better. The other was the header which was a better opportunity than I think he realised. Still rather have him on my team. Shame but I think it was him that caught Kevin Maher.

Benyon 6. Looks to have a decent first touch, and a little difficult to shrug off the ball for a small forward. Early days lets see if he can form a partnership with someone.

Subs. Harris 6. I actually think Blair would have been the better sub if Sturrock was trying to hold on to 1-0

Ferdinand 4. Wrong sub altogether, booked, and could easily have been sent off. Good little pass inside though when we were 'Chasing it' maybe Kalala should have been used if we were trying to hold on to 1-0

which brings me on to P.S 3

Why is our goalkeeper being told to hurry up and not waste time 5 mins into the second half? We looked like we were happy to take the 1-0 but couldn't hang on. Be brave bring Blair on and go three up top for the last five mins, and try to win a home game.

This style of football is not good to watch, and I wonder what the 7500 odd thought of the quality on offer from our team.

Dagenham can count themselves unlucky not to have won. Lookin at the teams you would easily have confused the team in green as the team third in the table.

Bring back ther Mosh if nothing than for the desire he has to win a game, something the management lack. Lucky point gained.

Your estimation of distance is woeful. The first shot he blazed over was on the edge of the area. The header was outside the six yard box, and whilst the ball in was excellent, it didn't have a great deal of pace on it. That said they were both decent chances, and I would have hoped he could have finished one of them. I think Grant's chance at the end was the easiest of the three, he had time to pick his spot, get the ball out of his feet and failed to do so. Why no stick for him?

Other than these chances I thought he and Benyon looked very sharp together, and given they've probably only had one or two training sessions together, there's reason for optimism about their potential partnership.

Im sorry mate but im sure im right on this one. The header was well inside the 6 yard box and the effort blazed over the bar well inside the box. I may be wrong but dont think i am. Either way any striker worth a **** would have burried one maybe both.

I don't know where to even start with that. It was so poor, and very painful to watch.

This style of football is just so, so frustrating. Our squad is oozing with quality at League 2 level. Man-for-man, pound-for-pound, it is easily one of the best squads in the division. So why are we playing the long ball all the time? It's inaccurate and it's speculative. There were three or four glimpses toay of what could be done with the ball on the deck, and in those three or four moves, we absolutely carved Dagenham in two. I could see it, the people around me could see it.....so why can the manager not see that we will do far more damage by keeping it on the deck? What does he see in the long ball style played today that makes it seem worth perservering with to him? What does he see that the vast majority of us do not?

In some ways I can see the reasoning behind the style of play. Get the ball into the final third of the pitch as quickly as possible, put the opposition defence under pressure, run the channels and play our football there. The aim is noble enough. But League 2 players do not have the technical skill, nor do they have the accuracy of pass, to pull it off consistently well. Therefore, what could be an effective style of play ends up being 'hot potato' football. Some players just seem to want to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible, as if they are afraid of making a mistake or getting tackled.

Too many players receive the ball at their feet and, without even looking up to see where they are aiming, swing a foot through it. Too many players also, for some reason, leap up and header a ball forward when it is in the air - at the time, there are no opposition players around them, they are under no pressure. They could bring the ball down, put a foot on it and pass it accurately along the floor to the feet of a team mate. But no, instead, and in the name of getting the ball forward as quickly as possible, they just put a head on it aimlessly and it all turns into a game of head tennis which invariably we end up losing. Both the aimless long ball and the aimless header results in a very frustrating and very cheap and needless relinquishing of possession. That is why we have never dominated and will never dominate possession or have tons more shots as opposed to the opposition. Every time we have the ball, we just give it straight back to the opposition and put ourselves under pressure.

I don't understand where the difficulty lies in seeing this for the management. Surely it is of some concern to them? We have been doing it for months, and doing it today undid us on two fronts. Firstly, we didn't have enough possession of the ball and so didn't have enough chances to score because we kept coneding possession with aimless and inaccurate long balls and secondly, we foolishly kept the style of football up for the last 15 minutes and allowed Dagenham to build up the pressure on our penalty area. I keep saying it - Dagenham might have smelt blood towards the end, but what can the opposition do to us if they do not have possession of the ball? The answer is NOTHING. So why keep giving the ball straight to an opposition which is in the ascendency and smelling blood? We might as well pick the ball up, put it at their striker's feet, tell Luke Daniels to stand aside and invite the striker to kick it into our open net. It is utterly, completely thick and stupid. For God's sake, get the ball down, pass it to feet, keep possession, get the opposition doing the chasing, frustrate them and see the game out.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sturrock and appreciate what he has done here so far, but he is supposed to be a top-notch coach with years of good experience - where the heck are his observational skills? It defies belief that he is not seeing what the majority of us seeing. He should be observing when the style is not working, and he should have seen first hand enough times this season that playing that style of football, continually conceding possession and putting pressure on ourselves for the last 15 minutes of a match when 1-0 up and looking shaky is stupidity personified. To me, it's basics an I can't believe that it's not basics to the manager as well. Now is the time to put a Plan B into action and to play our stuff on the deck more, because with players of this calibre we will carve most teams at this level to shreds if we get it down and play the pass and move style.

Anyway.

Daniels 6 - Couple of good saves and claimed some crosses well. Kicking leaves a little to be desired and wish he'd look for a throw more often instead of kicking long all the time to a player who rarely wins anything in the air.

Clohessy 7 - Very good performace from Mr. Consistently Reliable. Good tackling, great defensive positioning, worked hard, got up the line well. Crossing a little disappointing sometimes. Worked well with Leonard.

Barker 4 - Unusually poor today, positioning and committment in the tackle were both lacking and lost concentration several times, almost gifting Dagenham a couple of goals. Didn't look at all confident.

Phillips 7.5 MOM - Looked a little shaky first ten minutes but thereafter he dominated in the air and was strong in the tackle. Positioning good too. Saved our skins twice, once with the sliding block after Barker's mistake and once when their winger got into the left-hand corner of our penalty box and was shaping up for a clear shot on goal. Dispossessed him excellently. Effectively did the job of two centre backs and carried Barker for much of the game.

Prosser 5 - Didn't do anything wrong but didn't do much right either. Managed to let Daggers' right winger ghost past him and get to the ball ahead of him having started behind which was frustrating, and also is one of the more guilty parties for the aimless hoofs forward.

Hall 6.5 - Showed glimpses, crossing was good, ran well. Makes the wrong decision sometimes, especially passing inside when the overlap is on.

Grant 5.5 - Fairly anonoymous - was he playing? Shocking miss at the end, too.

Timlin 6.5 - Cracking goal. You won't see technique much better than that. Frustrating sometimes because his vision is excellent and he can see runs that others can't but his execution of his passes leaves a lot to be desired. Peach of a ball right into Hall's path on the wing with the outside of his left foot came off, but they are few and far between! Ran a lot, tackled well. Would have gotten a 7 but loses half a point for the shocking mistake which led to the equaliser.

Leonard 6 - Solid. Works well with Clohessy, they often swap positions. Has a good cross and a great long throw. Concedes possession a little too often and lacks the composure to put in a good cross on the run.

Benyon 6 - Little to do. Holds it up reasonably well when he gets a chance even though it's not his job, has a turn of pace about him and harries the defence well but, just as I suspected, he does NOT fit into our style of play. We need him in the box, not running the channels.

Dickinson 6 - Led the line well, worked hard, is clumsy and awkward and therefore was difficult to mark. A couple of irritating misses, and cannot take a player on for toffee. He goes past his man, but leaves the ball behind! Odd.

Subs:

Ferdinand 5 - Offered little, conceded possession too often and got a silly booking.

Harris 6 - Showed some nice touches and pulled their defence about a little but came on when we were under pressure and was never going to get the service.

Such an excellent, superbly articulated synopsis of our current status. I can't add to this in any way.

Its differcult to decide did we chuck it away, or wore we unlucky from where im standing, but it seems clear, that many of you are not happy with the way Souhend are being asked to play, Is this to get us out of this div, or if we go up is his how we will play in div 1. If so we are going o be found out very quickly, Sturrock may well take us up, but unless this aimless football stops imo we will very quickly be relagated again.

This frustrates the life out of me too, although I have to say I don't feel Hall is too bad defending. But if we left Hall - or now Benyon - up then it would give us that option of a quick break.

Back