• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This division is absolutely pathetic !

Stanley came here looking for a point and took home all 3,We are too slow all round the pitch as we have been every time I have seen us this season.

We played narrow because Phil wants to condense the middle to try and nullify teams but Stanley sussed it easily,we play crazy stupid football without any cutting edge whatsoever.

Without it sounding like sour grapes AS would have been buried by good quick passing teams yet we are suckered every time.

Lenny has became a pale shadow of the marauding midfielder we all loved and sadly does not deserve his place in the starting team(Brown has destroyed him Imo ).Binny Willy looked unsteady to say the least but I feel he would prosper playing the holding role in the middle but what do I know !

Another crap Saturday!

I didn't think you were going to go any more?

This division is absolutely pathetic !

Stanley came here looking for a point and took home all 3,We are too slow all round the pitch as we have been every time I have seen us this season.

We played narrow because Phil wants to condense the middle to try and nullify teams but Stanley sussed it easily,we play crazy stupid football without any cutting edge whatsoever.

Without it sounding like sour grapes AS would have been buried by good quick passing teams yet we are suckered every time.

Lenny has became a pale shadow of the marauding midfielder we all loved and sadly does not deserve his place in the starting team(Brown has destroyed him Imo ).Binny Willy looked unsteady to say the least but I feel he would prosper playing the holding role in the middle but what do I know !

Another crap Saturday!

Classic.

You yourself said our best formation would be Payne behind two strikers in a 442.

How on earth do you expect that formation not to be narrow.You cant have width when you only have 3 midfielders if Payne is in the hole.

If you want 442 with width you cant play Payne in that role.

For what it's worth people should give Stanley some credit. Organised themselves well and second half always had an out which caused us problems. Far from brilliant but they are a small club with low supporter base. Some might call that tinpot, and I'm sure bigger clubs could level similar accusation our way. Bury were the last team to score here in the league and pretty sure nobody scored two at Roots this season. Ref certainly seemed to overlook some of their heavier muscle but on the whole deserved their win today. terrible result for us but that's football. The big worry though is that Brown seems back to his nousless best :'(

Our diamond formation serves us well away from home when we can stifle the opposition but it's not suited to Roots Hall when we need to break down well-organised, negative teams even with their pretty dire players. Brown took the easy way out today (and on Tuesday). The formation should have been changed to include at least Worrall. Binnom-Williams did a cracking job of being an EMERGENCY centre-back. If once we had Prosser, Barrett, Bolger available he should have been given a pat on the back ... "Well done son" ... and then dropped. That would have done more for his confidence than playing him out of position until he was found out. His head was down after 20 mins max today following misplaced pass after misplaced pass. Against Cheltenham we won despite B-Williams having a 'mare and we won despite not tearing a rubbish team apart. Having said that, it was not Williams fault we lost today. It was the formation. No width .... I think I've read that once or twenty times before in this thread. If we have to sacrifice Jack Paine to be able to play a REAL 4-4-2 at home then so be it. It's worth it to be able to include Worrall and Hurst against the likes of Accrington. We've got a strong squad .. let's use it and play the right tactics at home, not the ones that work away. Oh and as for Piggott and Cassidy not having pace, well they look sharp and quick to me. I prefer that to blistering pace and then not knowing what to do with it as we've seen with a few other forwards.

I was going to post something very similar. Absolutely spot on.

4-5-1 or the diamond has it's place, especially away but if we are going to play 4-4-2 at home then you have to have at least one wide player. It was so narrow at times today it was ridiculous.

Still, at least now we will have a change. The competition for places should mean that the hungrier players step up their performances.

Ratings

Smith - 6 - A decent enough debut with some very good kicking. The worst one was the one that led to their second goal but where was the defence? Sunday league stuff.

White - 6 - Average performance.
Binnom-Williams - 5 - Nightmare 1st half but much better in the second save for the cross in the last minute that he put into the South Upper, which was also Sunday League stuff. Also put over a corker for Thompson to head wide when he should have hit the target.
Thompson - 6 - Positionally poor today.
Coker - 6 - Not his usual performance I thought and seemed very angry on 2 or 3 occasions, once with Timlin, once with Cassidy and when he got subbed.

Leonard - 7.5 - MOM - I can't believe some of the comments on here! He rescued the defence 2 or 3 times in the first half including a header off the line. I thought it was much better than some of his performances of late. Only MOM because everyone else was so poor though.
Atkinson - 5 - Hard working but gave us nothing positive today.
Timlin - 5 - Not his usual self.
Payne - 6 - Great cross for the goal (not deflected btw) but buffeted around a lot and probably does need to come off the bench rather than start.

Pigott - 6 - Missed a gilt edged chance in first half that would have changed the game completely
Cassidy - 6 - Hard working but he's a striker. Has he actually had a chance in the games he's played?

Subs -

Corr - 7 - Made a difference and great leap for the goal.
Hurst - 7 - Added much needed width.
Worrall - 7 - Needs to start.

Cassidy - 6 - Hard working but he's a striker. Has he actually had a chance in the games he's played?

Cassidy's header on Tuesday led to the goal.

I like him personally, but we need more width to make the most of both strikers.

I can hardly recall Cassidy getting shooting opportunities in any of the games IVE seen besides the header tues night.. Shame really as the lads got talent.

As someone eluded to, you can't employ the same tactic at shrews away then accy at home! The best managers aren't scared to change a winning team

I can hardly recall Cassidy getting shooting opportunities in any of the games IVE seen besides the header tues night.. Shame really as the lads got talent.

As someone eluded to, you can't employ the same tactic at shrews away then accy at home! The best managers aren't scared to change a winning team
Similar to Blair in his role within the team I think, he pulls defenders away to give others openings. There were a couple of times where he was in good positions but just couldn't turn his man.

It's a fair point to say Accy deserve some credit. They closed us down probably better than any other team I've seen at the Hall this season, and some of our players just couldn't cope with it, it's what led to JBW being played balls on a couple of occasions, that he probably wasn't expecting and then fluffing it.

After the Shrewsbury game the majority of people were saying that despite conceding late on a point was still a good result. Quietly since that game I've been thinking would those 2 extra points be missed at a crucial time. After yesterday's performance and with 2 extra points many, me included, would have been saying "ok, missed opportunity against Accrington, but we still in the race for one of the 3 automatic spots". Now I think there is only one up for grabs.

Classic.

You yourself said our best formation would be Payne behind two strikers in a 442.

How on earth do you expect that formation not to be narrow.You cant have width when you only have 3 midfielders if Payne is in the hole.

If you want 442 with width you cant play Payne in that role.

Yes I did but not in that set up,Jack is the most talented player we have so when we play him we need to be in all out attack mode.

Yesterday Imo was a mistake by Phil(yet again)to stifle AS and it backfired !

442 with Jack will work Imo if the set up allows players to play naturally without fear.

You do know we had a game in between where we completely destroyed Cheltenham in the first half!!!

If he had changed the team from Tuesday and lost, he would be getting the same stick.

Hindsight is a great thing and I'm surprised many of our fans aren't league managers or ex league managers as you all think you can do a better job :hilarious:

Anyway I think had Pigott scored that early chance, which he should have, we would have won and that miss seemed to knock us and effect the players.

Anyway he didn't and we lost, draw a line under this and move on, still plenty to play for.

you do love your non quantifiable qualities MrsBlue. i guess it makes it more difficult to call you out when you're inevitably wrong. you really are like a set of moving goalposts, squirming out of being wrong on a technicality and the vagueness of the original statement.

so, if you could describe this mythical midfield to us all that would be ideal, whilst also describing how it means that they are playing naturally and without fear.

Very disappointing display yesterday all round. I thought the problem is squarely the responsibility of the manager, very naive using two inexperienced CBs when you are handing a first team debut to a young goalkeeper, no matter how good he is. Especially when you have a very experienced CB in the stands and another on the bench and choose to not involve either of them.

Compounded by the inclusion of a half fit Coker (who being fair to him was the pick of the defence so justified his selection), and a persistence with the diamond offering no width and failing to get the ball through to the two up front. Rectifying even one of these would have changed the dynamic, and just might have stopped us getting sucked into the clogging, bully boy negative tactics offered by Accers and so many other league 2 sides.

If Piggotts early effort had gone in, maybe things would have gone another way, but it didn't and we failed to capitalise on our clear advantage, instead we were pumping high hopeful balls skywards and losing possession. We can't compete with these tactics yet we get pulled in every time instead of concentrating on our own game and doing what we are good at. For that reason alone, we needed experience on the pitch yesterday. This is absolutely down to Phil Brown - sorry, but there it is, wondering is this is the problem?

Last edited:
you do love your non quantifiable qualities MrsBlue. i guess it makes it more difficult to call you out when you're inevitably wrong. you really are like a set of moving goalposts, squirming out of being wrong on a technicality and the vagueness of the original statement.

so, if you could describe this mythical midfield to us all that would be ideal, whilst also describing how it means that they are playing naturally and without fear.

I have always advocated using 442 with at least one of the forwards having pace,but if the forwards lack the pace to outstrip defenders then they require service from the wide players.

Yesterday we had zero width and both forwards lack the pace for anything over the top which resulted in the defeat.Stanley were comfortable apart from fleeting moments mainly because we were so lopsided it was almost comical.

If Pigots effort had gone in we would probably drawn at the very least but sadly the woodwork saved AS.Look at Lenny now,he plays as though a ball and chain are tied to his feet which must be down to the manager instructing him to hold which is a shame as he Imo has been very good for us driving forward.

I have always advocated using 442 with at least one of the forwards having pace,but if the forwards lack the pace to outstrip defenders then they require service from the wide players.

Yesterday we had zero width and both forwards lack the pace for anything over the top which resulted in the defeat.Stanley were comfortable apart from fleeting moments mainly because we were so lopsided it was almost comical.

Can't believe you think the forwards lack pace!!!

Cassidy is no slouch, but it's not just about how quick you are it's how you use it, so you need movement and this is what he brings to the game.

He creates space for both Payne and Pigott and this was evident as soon after he went off, as suddenly we had no space as Corr doesn't move. Ok he's not lightning quick, but he isn't slow either.

I just wonder where all these lightning quick players are, that we should be playing as last time I looked there aren't that many of them; unless all 92 league football clubs are hiding them :unsure:

Personally I would have taken Pigott off (who seemed to go to pieces after his miss) for Corr, or Coulthrist for Cassidy .

very naive using two inexperienced CBs when you are handing a first team debut to a young goalkeeper, no matter how good he is. Especially when you have a very experienced CB in the stands and another on the bench and choose to not involve either of them.

I agree with this.

If Pigots effort had gone in we would probably drawn at the very least but sadly the woodwork saved AS.Look at Lenny now,he plays as though a ball and chain are tied to his feet which must be down to the manager instructing him to hold which is a shame as he Imo has been very good for us driving forward.

I'm fascinated to know why, when we win, it is normally three words from you,.... 'well done boys'. When we lose it's three paragraphs..........per post! Seems you have a balance problem in your team there mrsb. Maybe you need to post more when we are all happy after a win. You know we would welcome more posts from you:smile:

Thompson 6- I though he payed ok but both he and Williams were sometimes put into poor situations by the rubbish passes made to them from midfield.
Williams 6- As Thompson plus he made a couple of chances late in the game

Well spotted :clap:

What I've liked about Thompson and Williams is that they will try and play it out from the back, but they were given the ball in some awful places in the first half and they did try and play them out, rather than just hoof them. Which obviously didn't come off, so maybe they should have just cleared their lines, but at least they were trying to keep the ball.

I can't understand the calling for Barrett and/or Prosser to start before the game, as Thompson and Williams have been playing well (yes, they make the odd mistake, but this is League 2, what do we expect).

Also did anyone not see how Barrett played when he came on, on Tuesday; I wouldn't have started him after that!!

As for Prosser, he wasn't playing that great before his suspension, but now he's out of the side, everyone thinks he's world class (this will cause some controversy, but personally I thought Bolger was playing better than Prosser before his stupid red card).

Brown sees all these players in training as well, so if he thought Barrett and Prosser were going to make that much difference, he would have brought them in.

However I might now be tempted to change it next week and possibly bring Barrett in for Williams; but would I have done it before, no, these guys deserved to be in the team.

Can't believe you think the forwards lack pace!!!

Cassidy is no slouch, but it's not just about how quick you are it's how you use it, so you need movement and this is what he brings to the game.

He creates space for both Payne and Pigott and this was evident as soon after he went off, as suddenly we had no space as Corr doesn't move. Ok he's not lightning quick, but he isn't slow either.

I just wonder where all these lightning quick players are, that we should be playing as last time I looked there aren't that many of them; unless all 92 league football clubs are hiding them :unsure:

Personally I would have taken Pigott off (who seemed to go to pieces after his miss) for Corr, or Coulthrist for Cassidy .

If Cass Piggy and JW had a 100 metre dash ,Jason would easily win now that is pace !

Cassidy Imo needs a goal very soon,yeah he has nice moments but for me he lacks the killer instinct ATM.

Yesterdays moronic style of football was down to one man Imo.

Back