• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-2 Bromley

I believe MacDonald would be included in our squad of players - we need league permission before changing a players status. We can only add if we have less than 16 players fit - and injured players need to be long term injured.

With 1 sub I can only imagine there is dispute over the status of some of the injuries? Or timing meant we couldn't actually get anyone in the door rather than the NL saying we couldn't.
In his post match interview yesterday Kev mentioned that they had gone in for a player latter part of the week but clubs are very loathe to release players on loan due to the heavy Xmas schedule coming up and he didn't want just anyone who would not add value to the squad.

It was a superb effort from the boys yesterday under the circumstances and we were without doubt the better side and we could have snatched a point at the death.

The end the game reminded me of a Sunday league game. GSM smashes his head on the advertising board and then he ends up in goal and the centre half goes up front and notches a superb header.

I think both GSM and Brooklyn were lucky not to get red cards too so rode our luck a bit there.

This team is definitely made of the right stuff but with such a hectic program coming up we may well struggle to field a team shortly, utterly f..king tragic if that happens.

Blue army 💪

Pretty sure Tom Lawrence said Thursday that we'd tried to get someone in but they chose not to come. Players are keeping their options open with the league window opening shortly and potentially better offers coming, and also knowing what a basket case we are at the moment (my words, not Tom's!).

Last edited:
Pretty sure Tom Lawrence said Thursday that we'd tried to get someone in but they chose not to come. Players are keeping their options open with the league window opening shortly and potentially better offers coming, and also knowing what a basket case we are at the moment (my words, not Tom's!).
Yes he said it fell through last minute. I could also be right in thinking we can’t actually loan players under the embargo and that Kanu was a mistake allowed to happen. If you think about it the players we’ve had come in are all on non contracts. Vhilete, Brooklyn, Ralph and Bridge. Only loans we are allowed are emergency goal keeper loans. If that’s the case then you are asking players to leave FT employment and sign for the club who currently don’t have a guaranteed future or a player from a pro club to drop down and again on a non contract. If so it would explain how hard it is to get players in. Another reason we need the embargo lifting asap but we’ve been saying that for so long now

Yes he said it fell through last minute. I could also be right in thinking we can’t actually loan players under the embargo and that Kanu was a mistake allowed to happen. If you think about it the players we’ve had come in are all on non contracts. Vhilete, Brooklyn, Ralph and Bridge. Only loans we are allowed are emergency goal keeper loans. If that’s the case then you are asking players to leave FT employment and sign for the club who currently don’t have a guaranteed future or a player from a pro club to drop down and again on a non contract. If so it would explain how hard it is to get players in. Another reason we need the embargo lifting asap but we’ve been saying that for so long now
Loans are allowed subject to all the other terms and conditions of being under embargo, e.g., max squad size etc

"the Vanarama league are not the enemy here … would you blame a copper for stopping someone driving without a licence ?"

No, I'd expect the driver to be punished.

Not the car for being driven or the passengers that had chipped in for fuel"

Hayes was also on loan but I don't see how they can allow loans in one position but not another

Hayes was also on loan but I don't see how they can allow loans in one position but not another
Goalkeepers can be loaned in an emergency. But not sure the Kanu loan should have been allowed, think the NL made a mistake otherwise you would have thought the Kev and co would have found at least a replacement for Kanu on loan within two weeks. I’m probably wrong but another thing mentioned Thursday evening.

Goalkeepers can be loaned in an emergency. But not sure the Kanu loan should have been allowed, think the NL made a mistake otherwise you would have thought the Kev and co would have found at least a replacement for Kanu on loan within two weeks. I’m probably wrong but another thing mentioned Thursday evening.
Didn’t Kev say he tried getting someone in, but couldn’t? Assumed that to be a Kanu replacement.

Nothing to add to what has already been said about the game yesterday, just two little things to add:

The special tradeprice cars shirts (nice touch btw) included one printed for “Powell 11” - is his return closer than we thought or did they just get one each for the whole squad, injured or not?

IMG_5953.jpeg

Also, I noticed on the wall of the police/ground control room in the south west corner, facing the west stand, there is some quite significant timber framing that looks like it’s ready to hang something on. Nick Alliker seemed to suggest during the FA Trophy game that either the existing scoreboard was to be repaired or there would be a new scoreboard. It’s a bit of a weird location for one but could this be in readiness for a new scoreboard?

From Maher’s comments after the game it sounded like the issue was we couldn’t find anyone at short notice rather than the NL denying permission. He referenced clubs not being willing to let players go this close to the transfer window and with all the Christmas games coming up.

That did make it sound like we could only get a loanee in though.

The National League let us bring in a player ahead of yesterday, but two different players turned us down. Plus a few Clubs rejected loan moves. We did everything we could to bolster the squad…

Goalkeepers are a special breed under the terms of the embargo, or every embargo we’ve been under.

I said we’d have to “drop” Martin to bring in Collin, but no one listened. Collin will play the next game as we will have “dropped” Martin…

Goalkeepers are a special breed under the terms of the embargo, or every embargo we’ve been under.

I said we’d have to “drop” Martin to bring in Collin, but no one listened. Collin will play the next game as we will have “dropped” Martin…
To be fair I was listening, and I think others were, but I didn't really pick up on the semantic difference in what you said so the penny never dropped (no pun intended). Thanks for the insights as always - its always good to have your news. :Thumbs up:

Strange game as we set up not to lose, the ball did not stick up top and we defended ok against their thugs. Horrible time to concede and the second was gift wrapped. We then did the only thing we could do and attacked with intent, the Bridge/Fonguck/Ralph triumvirate clicked into familiarity on the left and we battered them as they sat back. Kabongolo enjoyed his foray as a centre forward using his physical attributes to give us a presence. I was praying for a leveller we deserved to wipe the smugness from an awful opposition. Sadly not to be, credit to Gus for his goalkeeping stint but really we could have had Sammy the shrimp in goal and not conceded again. Just wish in hindsight we had changed it up earlier, Bridge was a revelation back at LWB.

Martin 6
Taylor 7.5
Kensdale 6
Kabongolo 8
Scott-Morriss 8
Coker 7
Husin 7.5
Fonguck 8.5 MOTM
Ralph 7
Bridge 8
Wood 6

Vilhete 6.5

Wes MOTM for me, committed performance and worked continuously to drive us forward. Honourable mentions to Gus, Brooklyn and Jack Bridge when reverted to usual position. Thankfully another week before next game to regroup on and off the pitch. If take over not sorted by busy Xmas/New Year period it could completely derail our season. UTB

Back