• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-2 Bromley

Strange game as we set up not to lose, the ball did not stick up top and we defended ok against their thugs. Horrible time to concede and the second was gift wrapped. We then did the only thing we could do and attacked with intent, the Bridge/Fonguck/Ralph triumvirate clicked into familiarity on the left and we battered them as they sat back. Kabongolo enjoyed his foray as a centre forward using his physical attributes to give us a presence. I was praying for a leveller we deserved to wipe the smugness from an awful opposition. Sadly not to be, credit to Gus for his goalkeeping stint but really we could have had Sammy the shrimp in goal and not conceded again. Just wish in hindsight we had changed it up earlier, Bridge was a revelation back at LWB.

Martin 6
Taylor 7.5
Kensdale 6
Kabongolo 8
Scott-Morriss 8
Coker 7
Husin 7.5
Fonguck 8.5 MOTM
Ralph 7
Bridge 8
Wood 6

Vilhete 6.5

Wes MOTM for me, committed performance and worked continuously to drive us forward. Honourable mentions to Gus, Brooklyn and Jack Bridge when reverted to usual position. Thankfully another week before next game to regroup on and off the pitch. If take over not sorted by busy Xmas/New Year period it could completely derail our season. UTB
Should have changed it up earlier you say…yes much much earlier…..that should have been our starting line-up ! Unbelievable to have thought Wood and Bridge in the centre would have any impact. Brooklyn is tall,strong and has decent control of the ball,we didn’t really need him at the back—Ralph excels in that position.Fonguck sprang into life when he had Bridge in his proper position outside him on the left. Vilhete looked very threatening when he came on,Wood not at all so.

Nothing to add to what has already been said about the game yesterday, just two little things to add:

The special tradeprice cars shirts (nice touch btw) included one printed for “Powell 11” - is his return closer than we thought or did they just get one each for the whole squad, injured or not?

View attachment 30257

Also, I noticed on the wall of the police/ground control room in the south west corner, facing the west stand, there is some quite significant timber framing that looks like it’s ready to hang something on. Nick Alliker seemed to suggest during the FA Trophy game that either the existing scoreboard was to be repaired or there would be a new scoreboard. It’s a bit of a weird location for one but could this be in readiness for a new scoreboard?

As you're probably aware, Callum was at the JB Christmas Party. He's doing ok, having treatment now (was going off for another session after the party) but is still a way off. I would imagine they did a shirt because it's likely to be a popular choice for fans.

As to the SW corner, my understanding is that there was due to be "something" there for Saturday's match but presumably, it couldn't be sorted out in time. Don't want too say too much more on that to keep it more of a surprise.

This weekends comments along with his “cup final” comment from last season/season before, puts Woodman way up there as biggest ****house manager in the NL in my opinion.

I look forward to the day we are on a level playing field squad wise (despite his ridiculous comments) and we destroy teams like this on our way back to the EFL.

As you're probably aware, Callum was at the JB Christmas Party. He's doing ok, having treatment now (was going off for another session after the party) but is still a way off. I would imagine they did a shirt because it's likely to be a popular choice for fans.

As to the SW corner, my understanding is that there was due to be "something" there for Saturday's match but presumably, it couldn't be sorted out in time. Don't want too say too much more on that to keep it more of a surprise.
I would have thought Callum was too old to be a member of the JBs does he qualify because of height criteria??

Firstly the team played their nuts off again. Secondly that performance is incredible with the restrictions in mind.
Having seen us home and away to Bromley this season and not get a point is very sad. Away we did not put our best foot forward but, at home, we tried and tried and tried.
This time Bromley looked much improved. They were cohesive, pressed hard and high and showed some good touches. They still weren't as good as us.
Big let down for me was the starting set up. Brooklyn should have been up top from the start, as many fans said before kick-off, and then maybe someone could have been challenging for the numerous crosses we sent directly to their keeper. That was woeful. Also, in the first five minutes, it was clear, with the Bromley press, if we kept fannying about at the back we would be punished. It was not rocket science.
We lost because of the set up and play mistakes we made and that is a shame for the lads when they bust a gut to get diddly squat.

Firstly the team played their nuts off again. Secondly that performance is incredible with the restrictions in mind.
Having seen us home and away to Bromley this season and not get a point is very sad. Away we did not put our best foot forward but, at home, we tried and tried and tried.
This time Bromley looked much improved. They were cohesive, pressed hard and high and showed some good touches. They still weren't as good as us.
Big let down for me was the starting set up. Brooklyn should have been up top from the start, as many fans said before kick-off, and then maybe someone could have been challenging for the numerous crosses we sent directly to their keeper. That was woeful. Also, in the first five minutes, it was clear, with the Bromley press, if we kept fannying about at the back we would be punished. It was not rocket science.
We lost because of the set up and play mistakes we made and that is a shame for the lads when they bust a gut to get diddly squat.
Bromley were better than many give them credit for. Their game plan was clear and effective. Press hard to try and win the ball at the back, they wanted us to think exactly this - we can't 'fanny about' at the back - let's go long to the 6ft 7ins Byron Webster and the extremely limited but physical Callum Reynolds. Jack Wood and Bridge would not exactly have had a field day in that scenario.

We refused to make it futile and stuck to our principles. In the end, their game plan won out but only just and they were holding on desperately by the end once Brooklyn had given them something to think about, despite our significant disadvantages.

The 'fannying about' is going to cost us the odd goal, but it is also the most effective way for this team to score goals by beating the press and getting the ball through the lines.

Bromley were better than many give them credit for. Their game plan was clear and effective. Press hard to try and win the ball at the back, they wanted us to think exactly this - we can't 'fanny about' at the back - let's go long to the 6ft 7ins Byron Webster and the extremely limited but physical Callum Reynolds. Jack Wood and Bridge would not exactly have had a field day in that scenario.

We refused to make it futile and stuck to our principles. In the end, their game plan won out but only just and they were holding on desperately by the end once Brooklyn had given them something to think about, despite our significant disadvantages.

The 'fannying about' is going to cost us the odd goal, but it is also the most effective way for this team to score goals by beating the press and getting the ball through the lines.
There are times to play it around at the back and tines to move forward quicker and that is not the same as lumping it forward. Passing about, to play out, from the back is good to draw teams closer, break their pattern, and create gaps for passing opportunities. It is not so advisable when the oppo is already in high press mode and forcing you to pass with fewer routes and narrow angles. We do it too much. Do I advocate not doing it? No, but, we need to know when and when not to.

There are times to play it around at the back and tines to move forward quicker and that is not the same as lumping it forward. Passing about, to play out, from the back is good to draw teams closer, break their pattern, and create gaps for passing opportunities. It is not so advisable when the oppo is already in high press mode and forcing you to pass with fewer routes and narrow angles. We do it too much. Do I advocate not doing it? No, but, we need to know when and when not to.
We've come up against some high presses before and we are usually good at passing and moving through them. That's why I feel our "playing out from the back" is different to the norm and shouldn't be lumped in with it. We do it in a really effective way, and our tempo and passing angles usually beat high presses. Not yesterday though for some reason, and I feel that was down to ourselves rather than anything particularly effective that Bromley did.

Was it confirmed why kick off was delayed? I noted during warm up that both teams were wearing white socks and then Bromley emerged with yellow socks - did they have to use our away socks?

"the Vanarama league are not the enemy here … would you blame a copper for stopping someone driving without a licence ?"

No, I'd expect the driver to be punished.

Not the car for being driven or the passengers that had chipped in for fuel"
Has this something to do with my Land Rover in Swansea, Tommy?

Was it confirmed why kick off was delayed? I noted during warm up that both teams were wearing white socks and then Bromley emerged with yellow socks - did they have to use our away socks?
Not quite. Yes, the delay was due to both sides wearing the same colour socks but I was told that the yellow socks were Bromley's own.

Back