• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-4 AFC Wimbledon

At half time I was pretty confident we would get a result. We actually looked like the home team for most of the first half, and we played some good stuff and looked confident. The penalty was the killer and all downhill from there.

Good to see Hopper back, Hamilton looked much better, we just can’t defend.

Can only get better, hopefully before it really is too late, which it isn’t yet...

Very easy sumnary
Ten minutes of madness at beginning, 30 minutes of pressure from then on
Second half stupid penalty to give away, The Ox two superb saves, weird sub of MoTM Elvis fourth goal game over

Me too. Helped me get away much quicker than normal and avoid the congestion.
Whereas I turned left into West Road and then into Victoria Avenue, a slow, slow business until I cut off at Earls Hall Ave. 40 mins for a 10 minute drive. Still we got to listen to Paul Clark and then Waddock's interview in the car. Riviting stuff

In over 50 years of supporting.... this is probably the lowest point.
Against a poor team we were second best in every department and again looked like a team of individuals. If the players wanted to impress a new management team they certainly showed no passion , motivation and effort.

In years gone by Ron's head would be the one called for .....so he better have a pretty good appointment and explanation of why a replacement has taken this long because if we are relegated by just a few points the finger of blame will lay at his inaction .

The only player who showed pride in the shirt was Elvis,and the chorus of your not fit to wear the shirt after the second goal was dreadful to hear for a team of professionals

I know tensions are running high but do we have any full match reports and ratings from those who watched either on iplayer or at the game. For those people who want to know how terrible we were and how each individual actually got on.
I'll do mine tomorrow Mr Ricey sir.

Feeling very depressed, can't think I have ever felt so depressed at the fortunes of our beloved team in 61 years of supporting through thick and thin. What I cannot come to terms with is the delay in managerial appointment whilst things are rapidly slipping away. Doesn't make any sense. To me it smacks of incompetence. Off dahn the pub now to face the guffaws.

Dieng made a difference in the first half. The youngsters tried Cox and Goodship were hardly involved. Hate to say it but I think it’s a season too many for Cox.

I said that after a few games. And when the pitch is wet and heavy, he looks even slower. We need someone faster and fitter in that area of the pitch. Yes, I know that's just one of the problems with this team, but I'm replying about Cox.

As a home heavy defeat goes I quite enjoyed that and saw a few signs that there may be a team struggling to come together from a morass of inept management, guidance and planning.
Coxy is a good captain and handled a few confrontational moments well, he worked hard as an example in the 85th minute he tracked back and cleared in our box.
Macca, gave 100%, Elvis was dangerous for much of the game.
The midfield was better than has been (first 10 minutes excluded) with Hammy, Hutch and Tim closing down and tackling robustly.
The negatives? Ralph was indifferent, Goodship fleeting moments, but Shaunsheep was not good, Kiernon gave stupid pen away that crushed us for 20 minutes.
Ox made some great blocks but poor at corners or organising.
Tom Hop made some strong hold ups,won some headers but game was gone by then.
Demi got some game time and may be a better left back option?
Ref was okay.
Wombles fans did well for their lads.

Get Sol or Adam in to sort the defence and give some touchline leadership AND maybe the fat lady hasn't sung or the executioner started swinging his axe.
And the prize for half glass full goes to.......

Well. We are cr*p at the moment. However in the past some teams have gone from bottom at Christmas to the play offs. We just need to go from bottom to 20th spot in the table. Surely that's not impossible......

Much of our problems lies with the ineffective midfield. As soon as we lose the ball every player should really become a defender but often when Wimbledon broke and attacked, our midfield players apart from Macca in the first half, never busted a gut to either get goalside of the ball or put in a challenge. This leaves the back four, who are nothing special anyway, in a difficult exposed situation. Every game we fall behind, have to chase the game and therefore leave gaps which with our poor defensive capabilities makes it even worse. Even allowing for all this, if everyone put in a shift, as did Elvis today, then we at least would have a few more points on board so far. Good luck to whoever takes over this bunch of players!

First 10 mins we were an absolute shambles, our defending was non existent, Wimbledon couldn’t have believed their luck, at times we made them look like Barcelona. We had a great spell for half an hour in the first, but failed to capitalise, especially from the corners we had, think I lost count... We looked good with the ball when the Wombles sat back, but without the ball we are clueless, no tracking back, marking or tackling. What do we do in the training ground? The last 20 mins was excruciating, they attacked at will, it could have been a lot worse TBH.
We seriously need to work on how to defend, how to deal with teams who come to attack, what to do when we don’t have the ball, and also the basics; who’s job is who’s. Or how to change tactics if the opposition changes theirs. We are so naive it’s embarrassing at times, we also need to toughen up and be more devious, as the opposition does time and time again, they play the ref and for free kicks etc, we need to do the same to survive in this division, simples...
Only positive was Elvis, as always gives us 100% - one of our own !!

Last edited:
yep its pretty **** poor at the moment, can it get better of course it can...…...but there needs to be a lot of hard work from the team that takes over, it's not impossible to get out of this yet as we still have time and games but it's getting harder and harder each week to watch this horror show
lets see what Ron has to say this week with regards to the new management team who will be moving it
hope it will install a little bit of hope in the supporters and a good kick up the rear end for some of the players

I think people will struggle with ratings, as that scoreline did not reflect the match. How we were losing at half time, I don't know. (I do actually, the first ten minutes before we woke up). I though the midfield was much better. Hamilton gave everything. Dieng, I don't think he gave the ball away until about the 70th minute. I thought he had a great game. Ralph was better than previous. Elvis was his normal self, gave his all, great going forward, dodgy defending and positioning. Hutchinson had his best game by a mile. Coxy needs a rest, he's trying, but nothings happening for him. The defence as a unit, oh dear.

Terrible first ten. Alright till half time but didn't score. Then terrible second half. Non-league beckons

Spot on. The first ten minutes was absolutely embarrassing, but we were the better team for the rest of the half. Second half, appalling.
What's the score with Humphries? He was sorely missed today. And why was Elvis, who throughout was our only player who looked remotely likely to hurt them, subbed?

Back