• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First chance to get to a match this pre season and one or two stand out points. Simon Cox was one of the most unselfish players I have seen always looming go play someone else in for a shot on goal. Mooney played with a smile on his face and looked a different player. Defensively not really troubled Adam gave 100% as always and the years just seem to roll off him. Ted Smith coped really well with everything there was. Prosser was trying too hard and made mistakes but hey ho he is gone and think he has probably found his level in league 2. Overall I was impressed some great passes and possession in first half. Match over at half time and 2nd half was just a gentle training match. Roll on next week really wetted the appetite.

First chance to get to a match this pre season and one or two stand out points. Simon Cox was one of the most unselfish players I have seen always looming go play someone else in for a shot on goal. Mooney played with a smile on his face and looked a different player. Defensively not really troubled Adam gave 100% as always and the years just seem to roll off him. Ted Smith coped really well with everything there was.

Apart from when it came to taking the penalty. No-one else even bothered to challenge him! Nice to have a convincing penalty taker for once!

Prosser didn't look at all happy today. He got a little stick that I heard from the east yellows but it wasn't no more than a bit of banter, no real malice behind it. I suspect it was more the lack of fight from his team mates that was getting to him. They were a very poor side and he does deserve to be playing in a better team. I did feel for him a little.

He got more than that from some of the ******* in the West "fans" section, moronic little teenage prix who spent most of the second half chasing a baseball cap around rather than watching the football.

Also got called a **** every time he came near the touchline by a hipster type who just bellowed obscenities throughout the game. Good to back.

My first chance to see the new boys and I was generally impressed. Cox looks a class above in terms of touch and quick lay offs, however am I alone in thinking he needs to lose a pound or two?

Demetriou basically looks like a right footed Coker, overall very good, Ben also looked far better than he did at the end of last season. McGlashan also impressed winning the early pen, hopefully he's only taken a knock. O'neill on the other hand looks a little lost playing on the wing, the only good run he made was spoiled by his slow release of the ball and subsequent off side.

Out of the old boys, I felt Atko and Ryan impressed especially first half, Mooney was much improved too. Ted Smith produced the best performance I've seen from him too, Col U tried to crowd him out on corners but he stood up and made a few good punches.

My main concern is defensively, Col U were **** poor but still caused us problems especially from corners. I'm still unconvinced with the Barrett/Thompson partnership, hopefully Brown's got a centre back on top of his shopping list.

Few observations from today, although you couldn't take too much from it:

Demetriou is sheer class and an absolute coup for us. McGlashan looked lively and had buckets of pace - really hope he's okay. Cox was quiet, but had some good moments - will continue to improve as he gets more games under his belt and gets match fit. Mooney was like a new signing - looked sharp and confident and could be a real asset this season. Atkinson just didn't cut it for me and I would really like to see Leonard and Bridge as the two central midfielders against Gillingham unless Brown gets his new central midfielder in before Saturday. Colchester are a very poor side and I won't be surprised to see them struggle next season.

I think we would have really turned them over today if we'd have had a good attacking central midfielder next to Leonard. I like Atkinson and he gives 100%, but he never looks like he's going to trouble the opposition and you're not likely to get a dangerous run or a killer ball from him. He still doesn't look like he's got a goal in him and I would've liked Bridge to have come on much sooner than he did.

Barrett threw himself in front of everything as ever, Mooney was excellent, as he has been throughout pre-season. A disappointment last year but surely a clean slate for the coming year although some fans are as blinkered as ever - one bloke in front of me bemoaned him for being offside "AGAIN" before someone quietly informed him it was in fact Cox who had fallen foul of the linesman's flag...

McLaughlin with a bit of fitness behind him has the quality to put good balls into the box, Demetriou is clearly a good player aside from a couple of moments of madness in the first half, and Colchester looked pretty dire. You can't tell much from friendlies of course, but that performance would not have cheered their 100 or so fans that bothered to turn up. Didn't hear any booing for Prosser, but I gave him a bit of good natured gip during the game and a firm round of applause afterwards.

Few observations from today, although you couldn't take too much from it:

Demetriou is sheer class and an absolute coup for us. McGlashan looked lively and had buckets of pace - really hope he's okay. Cox was quiet, but had some good moments - will continue to improve as he gets more games under his belt and gets match fit. Mooney was like a new signing - looked sharp and confident and could be a real asset this season. Atkinson just didn't cut it for me and I would really like to see Leonard and Bridge as the two central midfielders against Gillingham unless Brown gets his new central midfielder in before Saturday. Colchester are a very poor side and I won't be surprised to see them struggle next season.

I think we would have really turned them over today if we'd have had a good attacking central midfielder next to Leonard. I like Atkinson and he gives 100%, but he never looks like he's going to trouble the opposition and you're not likely to get a dangerous run or a killer ball from him. He still doesn't look like he's got a goal in him and I would've liked Bridge to have come on much sooner than he did.

Everyone is aware that Bridge is a winger, not a central midfielder, yes? Where has this CM assumption come from?

I don't understand abuse for Prosser. There are plenty of ex players welcome back at the Hall and Luke is one of them. There are some that are unwelcome, think Nicky Bailey but Luke did nothing to warrant abuse.

Everyone is aware that Bridge is a winger, not a central midfielder, yes? Where has this CM assumption come from?

No, everyone isn't actually. It's not an assumption either. Bridge was always a central midfielder until Chelmsford played him on the wing and he was brilliant.

Quoted from the Echo article following the Newcastle game:

"Playing out wide was something bit different for me and defensively I was a little bit concerned about that side of things before the game started."

No, everyone isn't actually. It's not an assumption either. Bridge was always a central midfielder until Chelmsford played him on the wing and he was brilliant.

Quoted from the Echo article following the Newcastle game:

"Playing out wide was something bit different for me and defensively I was a little bit concerned about that side of things before the game started."

Fair enough, assumption may have been a bit strong, but he's broken through in men's football as a winger. I'd be very reluctant to start him in CM in a league game. Then again, we may not have much choice should we get any more injuries.

Fair enough, assumption may have been a bit strong, but he's broken through in men's football as a winger. I'd be very reluctant to start him in CM in a league game. Then again, we may not have much choice should we get any more injuries.

He was an attacking central midfielder for Soham and played left wing for Chelmsford in both spells, the second being the breakthrough. Bridge, to my knowledge, has always been an attacking midfielder, much the same as Jack Payne was and he has always shown huge promise. The fact he did so well in his second spell at Chelmsford was probably more to do with the fact that he was just far too good a player for that level, rather than because he was on the wing.

I get what you're saying, but I would have no reservations whatsoever starting him as a central midfielder and I'm sure if you asked him where he wants to play, that's where he would put himself.

If this is Colchester's first team, they're going to be struggling this season. Walk in the park so far. Mcglashan's pace got around the final man when you'd have bet against him and the ensuing chaos led to a deserved penalty. Cox played the keeper well and passed it into the area of the goal he'd vacated. Mcglashan then went off injured after a meaty challenge on the touchline

Second goal was a calm trough ball from Cox that Mooney finished comfortably. A couple of inexplicably wayward passes from Demetriou but apart from that he still looks a massive uplift on White. And Williams' a*** looks bigger than ever. I believe that's everything.
Perhaps Williams is trying to emulate his sister Serena in the *** stakes

I don't understand abuse for Prosser. There are plenty of ex players welcome back at the Hall and Luke is one of them. There are some that are unwelcome, think Nicky Bailey but Luke did nothing to warrant abuse.

Neither has Adam Barrett. :winking:

He was an attacking central midfielder for Soham and played left wing for Chelmsford in both spells, the second being the breakthrough. Bridge, to my knowledge, has always been an attacking midfielder, much the same as Jack Payne was and he has always shown huge promise. The fact he did so well in his second spell at Chelmsford was probably more to do with the fact that he was just far too good a player for that level, rather than because he was on the wing.

I get what you're saying, but I would have no reservations whatsoever starting him as a central midfielder and I'm sure if you asked him where he wants to play, that's where he would put himself.

Not sure I'd play Leonard and Bridge in the centre together. Both are attacking midfielders and there needs to be a balance. Leonard has been used as the defensive midfielder last season at times and we lose that drive.

Colchester poor first half, but if Ted Smith had not pulled off 3 really great saves in the second half, Colchester would possibly have won this game, I hope I'm wrong but we have made a couple of good signings, but basically its nearly the same team as last year. As for Luke Prosser I thought he was the pick of the defence had a good game, and was head and shoulders above his other defenders and I hope he and Colchester have a good season.

Colchester poor first half, but if Ted Smith had not pulled off 3 really great saves in the second half, Colchester would possibly have won this game, I hope I'm wrong but we have made a couple of good signings, but basically its nearly the same team as last year. As for Luke Prosser I thought he was the pick of the defence had a good game, and was head and shoulders above his other defenders and I hope he and Colchester have a good season.

I don't know what game you were watching, but I don't think it was the same one as me. Col Ewe were terrible and wouldn't have won if the game had lasted twice as long.

I don't know what game you were watching, but I don't think it was the same one as me. Col Ewe were terrible and wouldn't have won if the game had lasted twice as long.

I see what he's saying though, they did have a couple of good shots which Ted saved well, and Demetriou did clear one off the line.

So I hear, we were very poor lets hope they improve when the real stuff starts!

I don't think pre-season means anything really. Plenty of teams have a good pre-season and then screw up, and plenty of teams have a poor pre-season and go to have a good season.

.Mooney looks a different player to last year with Cox alongside him.

Mooney is an intelligent footballer, and always looked better when he had Hunt alongside him, i.e. someone on his wavelength. I think there were a number of people that said that last season (me being one of them). If we've swapped Hunt for Cox then Mooney could really thrive.

Back