• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown 10
MrsBlue 0

:hilarious::clap::happy::smiles::Worthy:

To be fair to mrsblue, playing 442 with 2 strong quick strikers is what she has been saying will give us exciting football with goals so it probably more:

Mrsblue 10
Brown 0

Imagine where we could be now having played 442 all season with strikers quick and strong

To be fair to mrsblue, playing 442 with 2 strong quick strikers is what she has been saying will give us exciting football with goals so it probably more:

Mrsblue 10
Brown 0

Imagine where we could be now having played 442 all season with strikers quick and strong

I t isn't the formation or the speed of the strikers ( neither goal was due to speed of players) it was mire the fact that we continually committed players forward and played the ball forward quickly in front of players. When was the last time both full backs went forward as much On numerous occasions it looked liked we were playing 442 in reverse! Brown or someone must have said something different to them this week. When have we ever committed so many players forward under Brown?

We played some lovely flowing football at times and it was good to see the midfield and strikers linking up well. Deegan's pass for the second was sublime and it was great to see McLaughlin cap off a fine performance with a well taken goal. We also learnt that Binnon Williams is not a right back. Would worry if he was considered in that position, should White's injury rule him out. Leonard is more natural in that position and it would be good to get him back on the park. If as I suspect the automatics are beyond us I would not be adverse to seeing a number of the first eleven rested, then bring them back for the play offs. Give Hurst, Prosser, Payne and Barnard ,if fit, a run out. We might need them.

Mrsblue 10
Brown 0

But neither Cassidy or Piggott are that quick. Newports strikers were far quicker more direct and rarely played with their back to goal. It was a prime example of how it's not just about putting a few quick players upfront.

Next you'll be telling me Jason Williams and Ellis Brown should be in the side.

The Blue Voice 10 - great noise and atmosphere throughout, well done chaps.

Appreciate the kind words, but us members of TBV sing our hearts out every game, irrespective of the performance or the scoreline. I think praise should be given to those in the East, South and the rest of the West Stand for last nights cracking atmosphere. When all three sides are are joining in it certainly is a fortress and must be a huge boost to our players.
Well done everyone !! :clap:

Secured our play off place at the very least. Some people are so OTT, Deegan was shocking in the first half....apart from slipping over a couple of times, he couldn't pass for toffee and barely won a challenge! Was he trying too hard? I don't know what went on at half time but he came out a different man in the 2nd half and from then on was immense.

For my MOTM, I would rather have someone who was consistently good throughout the game, and that could be any one of three from Bolger, Coker and Atkinson - don't know what's happened to Willo but two cracking shots on target in the space of 10 minutes in the first half shows how much his confidence and industry have increased.

WTF was the ref doing allowing Newport's players/trainer tell him what to do? Surely you go off the pitch to the nearest touchline?!!! I didn't understand their tactics at all, they came with the intention of playing, which meant the game was so much easier on the eye, but then their players started going down as if they'd been mortally wounded even though they were losing!

Two injury concerns after the game, both ankles, though McLaughlin was limping worse than Jonny White so hopefully JW will be ok for the next games. If he's not then Lenny in at RB please, not JB-W. He may be young and willing but he's not a RB and the moment he came on the central defenders then started having a few calamity moments. Bolger needs someone solid alongside him, that's not JB-W.

Bentley - 7, much improved kicking and throwing out, few good saves, few wobbles. Do think the mask unsettles him a bit. Huge congratulations to him on beating that 34 year old consecutive clean sheet record - BBC Essex said he's only let in 5 home goals all season, and that's a very impressive stat.
White - 7.5, desperately unlucky not to score with a cracking shot against the upright in the first half. Played his usual and much under-estimated game.
Bolger - 8.5, my joint MOTM, actually played better than Barrett, scored with an absolute bullet header, couldn't be more delighted for him. Way to go to shut the critics up!
Barrett - 7.5, usual sort of Barrett performance, if we can keep his momentum going then we have an excellent chance in the play offs.
Coker - 8.5, my other joint MOTM, been critical of Cokes lately but he was back to his best. Plenty of runs and mixing it up top. If he could sort out the delivery for corners a bit more consistently then he'd be perfect.
Atkinson - 8, probably the best 1st half I've seen him play, ran out of steam a little in the 2nd otherwise he'd have been up there with Bolger and Coker. Two great shots in the 1st half.
Deegan - 7.5, about as poor a 1st half as I've seen him play, 2nd half was like he'd been inspired. For me, he's still there to break the play up and shield the defence and he failed to do that consistently. He's no Bailey or Macca.
Timlin - 7, for one of my key players, he's getting a little over looked with the way the others around him are performing. He seemed to be playing behind Deegan for a lot of the game, and that's not his best position.
McLaughlin - 7.5, another one been given a harsh time recently, delighted for him also that he scored and that he contributed so much to a classy performance. That overhead kick in the first half would have contributed to the goal of the season if it had gone in.
Cassidy - 8, another who had a great game, yet was criticised in tweets on BBC Essex! Sometimes I wonder what people see. Thought he did really well, he's obviously not the best header of the ball but boy, can he put a cross in!
Pigott - 7, put himself about well, kept it going but still suffering a bit for confidence.

Subs:
Worrall for McLaughlin - 7, thought he did ok when he came on, and I would still rather he started at the moment.
Leonard for Atkinson - 7, thought Will was unlucky to be subbed but Brown obviously wanted Lenny on and he seemed to slot in ok but was set up behind the other two CMs, when I'd expected Tims to go out on the left.
Binnom-Williams for White - would be harsh to rate him as he wasn't on long but it really wasn't his position.

Onwards and upwards. It is STILL possible! :happy:

Excellent game, 1st half, flowing football....but I think we all breathed a sigh of relief when Bolger's header flew in just before half time..:thumbsup:. Lots of slipping and sliding around, wrong boots, pitch greasy top surface with all the water sprayed on ??

For me,
Bolger won everything in the air,
Deegan worked his socks off,
Worrall looked out of sorts, tried too hard.
Lennie, welcome back, but as mentioned before...I use him to cover for White, if he's injured.
Binnon-Williams, smart use of him...younger, bigger and quicker than White....but why oh why try to play your way out of trouble..injury time approaching....hoof the bloody thing into Row R please and let my heart rate relax !

Support was brilliant, TBV in full voice, even us "East Yellows" were joining in :happy: :happy::happy: such behaviour not seen in many a moon !!

Deegs had a very good game and certainly enjoyed the post match walk about the lads.
He also clearly pointed out the time the NC players took limping off the pitch (the long way across) and other time wasting BUT he must have kept it professional as he didn't get carded and the time got added on.
His shooting was disappointing; a placed set piece free kick over the bar and a few others, none on target: with the size of his thighs (and he does like to show them with pulling the shorts up) I was hoping for a few net breaking pile drivers.

As above TBV did very well and the Tuesday HOODOO seems well and truly broken.

Probably the best performance I have seen from the Blues at RH this season. More importantly, I think the confidence now showing in the squad bodes very well for the play-offs if we have to through that pain. One thing is for sure, no one in the play-off positions is going to fancy their chances against us.

I thought Deegan had a better first half than some people have said.

There were mistakes, yep, definitely, but that came from constantly wanting the ball and so, on percentages, mistakes will be made.

He's not a natural passer and did scuff a couple and gave the ball away, but one in particular which sent O'Connor away down the left, he got back and snuffed out the chance.

On the balance, though, I'm pretty sure it was his excellent cross-field ball that put White in for the shot against the post.

I'd rather have someone wanting the ball constantly and trying to make things happen than timidly hiding after a couple of mistakes.

He really has got the team fired up since he came back and last night, the desire to win was as good as I've seen from any Southend side, not just this one and it lifted us lot in the stands, creating a great atmosphere.

I'd be interested to hear what Newport thought of us, but I'd be amazed if they weren't impressed.

Best home performance of the season - work rate incredible- esp from timlin who had been superb in recent weeks..

Deagan had a good first half. Right in the thick of things. Think some Leonard lovers might be spinning the truth - closed mind to the good things Deegs did, and exaggerating any error.

The reason we played so well and attacked with such drive was because for once the opposition defence wasn't packed with bodies. Most of the teams we've played since Christmas at home have formed human barricades in defence.

Secured our play off place at the very least. Some people are so OTT, Deegan was shocking in the first half....apart from slipping over a couple of times, he couldn't pass for toffee and barely won a challenge! Was he trying too hard? I don't know what went on at half time but he came out a different man in the 2nd half and from then on was immense.

For my MOTM, I would rather have someone who was consistently good throughout the game, and that could be any one of three from Bolger, Coker and Atkinson - don't know what's happened to Willo but two cracking shots on target in the space of 10 minutes in the first half shows how much his confidence and industry have increased.

WTF was the ref doing allowing Newport's players/trainer tell him what to do? Surely you go off the pitch to the nearest touchline?!!! I didn't understand their tactics at all, they came with the intention of playing, which meant the game was so much easier on the eye, but then their players started going down as if they'd been mortally wounded even though they were losing!

Two injury concerns after the game, both ankles, though McLaughlin was limping worse than Jonny White so hopefully JW will be ok for the next games. If he's not then Lenny in at RB please, not JB-W. He may be young and willing but he's not a RB and the moment he came on the central defenders then started having a few calamity moments. Bolger needs someone solid alongside him, that's not JB-W.

Bentley - 7, much improved kicking and throwing out, few good saves, few wobbles. Do think the mask unsettles him a bit. Huge congratulations to him on beating that 34 year old consecutive clean sheet record - BBC Essex said he's only let in 5 home goals all season, and that's a very impressive stat.
White - 7.5, desperately unlucky not to score with a cracking shot against the upright in the first half. Played his usual and much under-estimated game.
Bolger - 8.5, my joint MOTM, actually played better than Barrett, scored with an absolute bullet header, couldn't be more delighted for him. Way to go to shut the critics up!
Barrett - 7.5, usual sort of Barrett performance, if we can keep his momentum going then we have an excellent chance in the play offs.
Coker - 8.5, my other joint MOTM, been critical of Cokes lately but he was back to his best. Plenty of runs and mixing it up top. If he could sort out the delivery for corners a bit more consistently then he'd be perfect.
Atkinson - 8, probably the best 1st half I've seen him play, ran out of steam a little in the 2nd otherwise he'd have been up there with Bolger and Coker. Two great shots in the 1st half.
Deegan - 7.5, about as poor a 1st half as I've seen him play, 2nd half was like he'd been inspired. For me, he's still there to break the play up and shield the defence and he failed to do that consistently. He's no Bailey or Macca.
Timlin - 7, for one of my key players, he's getting a little over looked with the way the others around him are performing. He seemed to be playing behind Deegan for a lot of the game, and that's not his best position.
McLaughlin - 7.5, another one been given a harsh time recently, delighted for him also that he scored and that he contributed so much to a classy performance. That overhead kick in the first half would have contributed to the goal of the season if it had gone in.
Cassidy - 8, another who had a great game, yet was criticised in tweets on BBC Essex! Sometimes I wonder what people see. Thought he did really well, he's obviously not the best header of the ball but boy, can he put a cross in!
Pigott - 7, put himself about well, kept it going but still suffering a bit for confidence.

Subs:
Worrall for McLaughlin - 7, thought he did ok when he came on, and I would still rather he started at the moment.
Leonard for Atkinson - 7, thought Will was unlucky to be subbed but Brown obviously wanted Lenny on and he seemed to slot in ok but was set up behind the other two CMs, when I'd expected Tims to go out on the left.
Binnom-Williams for White - would be harsh to rate him as he wasn't on long but it really wasn't his position.

Onwards and upwards. It is STILL possible! :happy:

I thought the same BUT... the guy was clearly badly injured and him going off by the West would have meant a really long walk around the pitch which may not have been possible.

My thought would be why not call for a stretcher?

We thought the same thing, but came to the conclusion that the stretcher must have been locked in a cupboard somewhere and someone had forgotten the key!

Mrsblue 10
Brown 0

Is that the same 4-4-2 that we scrapped our arses past a woeful Tranmere with?

Is that the same 4-4-2 that we scrapped our arses past a woeful Tranmere with?

As you well know no team can turn it on every game,442 has a simple formula which is get bodies into their box.

Football is a simple game but sadly coaches/managers over complicate.

We have had a great run of 4 wins (3 of which against bottom 4 teams), andwe did struggle to beat Tranmere.

No team will "turn it on" every game, yet we have been playing 442 for what 14 games now ? and I dont remember us 'turning it' on in many of those.

Prior to this run though we were playing 442 and sitting mid table in the form table, despite being one of the top scorers.

If its that simple why was our form so poor playing it which led to us losing pace with the top 3 that even winning 4 in a row hasn't managed to fix?

442 is the way to go, but we were in mediocre form before Easter so Im not sure how that shows we would have been promoted playing it.

Our 10 games prior to the 4 wins we managed only 3 wins in 10, 13 points out of 30, no where near being consistent enough for what is needed for promotion.

Deagan had a good first half. Right in the thick of things. Think some Leonard lovers might be spinning the truth - closed mind to the good things Deegs did, and exaggerating any error.

The reason we played so well and attacked with such drive was because for once the opposition defence wasn't packed with bodies. Most of the teams we've played since Christmas at home have formed human barricades in defence.

Problem with that statement is Im a big fan of Deegan, but he did make far too many mistakes in the first half.

Back