• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First goal from a defender this season?? Racking both my brain cells

Second. Coker v Stevenage

Thought Bolger was excellent. Got his head onto pretty much everything and given how long their keeper was booting it that was crucial.

Coker had his best game for ages and looked back to his best. It was great to see him so prominent in attack.

It was also great to see us get forward and attack with purpose. Admittedly this was helped by Newport being ridiculously open but we attacked with far more conviction than we have under Brown before. If we'd had have Corr and Worrall starting I think we might have won by a handful.

Second. Coker v Stevenage

Thought Bolger was excellent. Got his head onto pretty much everything and given how long their keeper was booting it that was crucial.

Coker had his best game for ages and looked back to his best. It was great to see him so prominent in attack.

It was also great to see us get forward and attack with purpose. Admittedly this was helped by Newport being ridiculously open but we attacked with far more conviction than we have under Brown before. If we'd had have Corr and Worrall starting I think we might have won by a handful.
Instead of McLaughlin? I thought McLaughlin had a great game and some of his crosses were different class.

He also almost assisted one of the goals of the season when he crossed for Pigott who hit over.

Amazed at that performance with Hurst, Worrall, Corr and Leonard on the bench and Prosser in the stands.

Those 5 would be in most people's first XI over the past 2 years.

Instead of McLaughlin? I thought McLaughlin had a great game and some of his crosses were different class.

He also almost assisted one of the goals of the season when he crossed for Pigott who hit over.

Instead of Atkinson.

Excellent first hour, probably the best we've played all season (definitely at home). The last half hour Newport improved and caused some problems, fortunately the defence held firm with a bit of help from some poor finishing. I don't think we were helped during this period by some distinctly average performances from the subs, I thought all 3 we're poorer than any of the starting 11.

Bentley 7 - Handling was good throughout, got away with one bad kick in the second half.
White 7 - Good first half, defended and got forward well and was unlucky not to score. Second half their left winger was starting to cause him some problems before he was subbed, I presume through injury?
Coker 8 - Much better than Saturday, caused plenty of problems when he got forward.
Barrett 7 - Solid display and always rallying those around him.
Bolger 8 MOM - He's really winning me over now, immense in the air and a bullet header for the goal.
Atkinson 7 - Perhaps the only player who's performance level dropped (slightly) from Saturday where I thought he was MOM. He started like a train on fire and had an excellent first 20 minutes, but dropped off a bit after then. His work rate is phenomenal though, always closing players down quickly and forcing errors.
Timlin 7 - Decent display, really got at the Newport midfielders and his passing was much better.
Deegan 7 - Impressed me massively, his work rate and tackling is always good but he added a real attacking threat and it was a great pass for the second goal, I would have scored him an 8 if it wasn't for an indifferent start to the game.
McLaughlin 8 - His best performance by a mile, looked a class act and caused Newport all sorts of problems, I was surprised he was subbed so early.
Pigott 7 - Much improved over recent weeks, looked more like his old self. Unlucky not to get on the score sheet in the first half.
Cassidy 7 - Shame about the miss in the first half, though the ball did come to him very quickly. Otherwise played well and I thought he linked play with the midfield impressively at times.

Subs

Worrall 6 - A bit below par and gave the ball away more than usual. Worked hard as always though.
Leonard 6 - Struggled to get into the game but made a couple of good interceptions.
Binnom Williams 6 - Not a natural right back but did ok, one good Barrett esque burst forward was good but unfortunately came to nothing.

I'd probably stick with an unchanged team for Saturday, bringing Corr in for one of the strikers would be the only potential alteration. If White is out Leonard is the only real option, he hasn't really convinced me at right back though and I hope we won't miss White as much as I fear.

Forgive me but I don't think the question has been posed. On Saturday against Exeter, does Corr automatically get his place back, following such a good performance last night???
PS just noticed that the last post Raleigh Dan mentions it.........would be interested in the opinion of others.

Hmmmm tough one. I'd say, stay the same. You don't change a winning team. They are playing for their shirt now. However, i'd definately get Corr on in the 2nd half

Time for a poll, me thinks !

Im a big Deegan fan but I thought he was shocking first half, giving the ball away, falling over it, falling over without it.

However different story 2nd half and the assist was quality and he was far better all round.

Wycombe result was a sickener, that effectively kills our chances with their last kick of the game. Think we now need to get 10 points out of 12 minimum, and thats relying on them only getting 4 points.

There was a great moment in the first half when Deegan absolutely scolded himself for a misplaced pass. You just know that the management did not have to say a word at half time.

Cracking game, I thought the three Irish lads in particular stood out. McLaughlin has shrugged off the bully the new boy brigade by showing he has the best touch and is the quickest at the club . Deegan might just have lost his 'crab' critics. Hopefully that rifled header will finally silence the Bolger boo boys. It was a shame to see Cian walk off with his head still down, when he should have walked off head held high and proud. Time some of our fans bowed their heads in shame instead.

Absolutely agree re Bolger
Young lad who lacked confidence.
I was there at Luton earlier in the season. The abuse he received from his own supporters, was a disgrace
I can only imagine it took him a while for him to forget
But i am sure he has broad shoulders, and gets on with it.Hence the last few games.Excellent

There was a great moment in the first half when Deegan absolutely scolded himself for a misplaced pass. You just know that the management did not have to say a word at half time.

Cracking game, I thought the three Irish lads in particular stood out. McLaughlin has shrugged off the bully the new boy brigade by showing he has the best touch and is the quickest at the club . Deegan might just have lost his 'crab' critics. Hopefully that rifled header will finally silence the Bolger boo boys. It was a shame to see Cian walk off with his head still down, when he should have walked off head held high and proud. Time some of our fans bowed their heads in shame instead.

I noticed a similar situation with Timlin. Tried a cross field pass to Coker and it got easily intercepted. He was livid with himself for not hitting it firmer. I take your point. They are good, honest pros at this level and probably didn't need telling

Played well when he came on, yet must have been aware that this was a possible outcome. We've come up against him a few times. Amazing how he could detach himself from all this to play! :stunned:

Played well when he came on, yet must have been aware that this was a possible outcome. We've come up against him a few times. Amazing how he could detach himself from all this to play! :stunned:

He did do ok, and he has been a handful when I have seen him before. Tuesday's combo of Adam and Cian took no nonsense; other defenders might have got rattled by him/his ilk.

Back