• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Timlin was class today and easily my MOTM. Weston was catastrophically bad until the penalty and then he seemed to remember how to play football, but 85% of the game I would have kissed Straker's feet and sincerely apologised for everything bad I've ever said about him if he was anywhere near me.

O'Toole had a fair first half but I'd probably believe you if you told me he didn't touch the ball once in the second half. On that showing, he's no better than anything we already have in that position and surplus to requirements, but surely he'll get better? The fact they gave him permission to play makes me think we've already arranged a permanent deal for him and I really don't buy it when Brown says he's playing for a contract.

Worrall will be our player of the season by a few thousand miles if he keeps this up. Another brilliant performance from him and really looks up for it this season. Still in severely desperate need of a striker though. I love Barry, but we can't just pin all our hopes on him to score the goals and we could really be threatening if we had a really decent forward as the chances are there.

Not trying to cause a debate or row but i personally thought that Weston was our best performer today as did the 3 people I was with at the match.

Before we scored he looked like the only player that would make something happen for us. After the first goal the game opened up and we started to play better, but before then our only real outlet was Weston. He can make mistakes, but so do all of our players and I don't see them getting the same stick that Weston did today, despite playing quite well.

Without two natural fullbacks our wingers didn't get much support and we looked too one-dimensional. O'Toole and Payne didn't have too much of an impact on the game either but admittedly Northampton were defending in numbers until the breakthrough.

I remember 4 crosses in the first half (2 from Weston, 2 from Worrall) that looked very inviting but no-one made a run into the box to attack them. We will always struggle to score if players don't gamble on crosses going in to the box. I think that without that goalkeeping howler that gave us the lead we would have come away with a 0-0 draw. But a wins a win :thumbsup:

Before we scored he looked like the only player that would make something happen for us. After the first goal the game opened up and we started to play better, but before then our only real outlet was Weston. He can make mistakes, but so do all of our players and I don't see them getting the same stick that Weston did today, despite playing quite well.

Without two natural fullbacks our wingers didn't get much support and we looked too one-dimensional. O'Toole and Payne didn't have too much of an impact on the game either but admittedly Northampton were defending in numbers until the breakthrough.

I remember 4 crosses in the first half (2 from Straker, 2 from Worrall) that looked very inviting but no-one made a run into the box to attack them. We will always struggle to score if players don't gamble on crosses going in to the box. I think that without that goalkeeping howler that gave us the lead we would have come away with a 0-0 draw. But a wins a win :thumbsup:

That sums Weston up perfectly :smile:

Donkey and magician in one game :smile:

Timlin was class today and easily my MOTM. Weston was catastrophically bad until the penalty and then he seemed to remember how to play football, but 85% of the game I would have kissed Straker's feet and sincerely apologised for everything bad I've ever said about him if he was anywhere near me.

O'Toole had a fair first half but I'd probably believe you if you told me he didn't touch the ball once in the second half. On that showing, he's no better than anything we already have in that position and surplus to requirements, but surely he'll get better? The fact they gave him permission to play makes me think we've already arranged a permanent deal for him and I really don't buy it when Brown says he's playing for a contract.

Worrall will be our player of the season by a few thousand miles if he keeps this up. Another brilliant performance from him and really looks up for it this season. Still in severely desperate need of a striker though. I love Barry, but we can't just pin all our hopes on him to score the goals and we could really be threatening if we had a really decent forward as the chances are there.

How many chances did he have?

How many did Payne have who was playing not far off of him?

I remember one from both of them all game (exluding Corr's effort from 40 yards at the end!)

Its the same old story, doesn't matter who plays up front if they don't ever get the ball within shooting distance.

I remember 4 crosses in the first half (2 from Straker, 2 from Worrall) that looked very inviting but no-one made a run into the box to attack them. We will always struggle to score if players don't gamble on crosses going in to the box. I think that without that goalkeeping howler that gave us the lead we would have come away with a 0-0 draw. But a wins a win :thumbsup:

This is what Barry Corr did in his best season for us. Now the cross comes in and he is slowly just arriving in the box, missing the bus. We are crying out for a more mobile target man.

Another incredibly poor and frustrating performance against possibly the worst side I've seen this season. Let's not kid ourselves we would not have won the game had their keeper not ****ed up big time. How Weston gets ahead of Atkinson is beyond me and based on today how O'Toole gets in ahead if Clifford who knows. In his defence playing against the team that you have just left who are still your employers must be strange. But I thought he is an attacking midfield, saw little of that today. Timlin easily mom, Payne bullied again, Corr took penalty well and took a lot of blows. Defence did well but up against very little. Worrall took his goal very well. Wycombe and burton will be very tough tests indeed. Four wins is great but against basically rubbish.

Woops :smile: Maybe that's my subconscious telling me he's pants. Now I don't know what to think.

Thing is its a spot on comparison, he was very much like Straker, went from very poor to superb in the course of the game, towards the end he looked very dangerous.

Another incredibly poor and frustrating performance against possibly the worst side I've seen this season. Let's not kid ourselves we would not have won the game had their keeper not ****ed up big time. How Weston gets ahead of Atkinson is beyond me and based on today how O'Toole gets in ahead if Clifford who knows. In his defence playing against the team that you have just left who are still your employers must be strange. But I thought he is an attacking midfield, saw little of that today. Timlin easily mom, Payne bullied again, Corr took penalty well and took a lot of blows. Defence did well but up against very little. Worrall took his goal very well. Wycombe and burton will be very tough tests indeed. Four wins is great but against basically rubbish.

Didnt see a lot of evidence he could play that position, but in his defence he wasnt asked to today he was playing central midfield in Leonard's absence.

Its only his first game so shouldn't judge too harshly, but he didn't do anything to impress.

This is what Barry Corr did in his best season for us. Now the cross comes in and he is slowly just arriving in the box, missing the bus. We are crying out for a more mobile target man.

He was still closing the keeper down in the 93rd minute, didnt seem too immobile to me.

Thing is its a spot on comparison, he was very much like Straker, went from very poor to superb in the course of the game, towards the end he looked very dangerous.

He definitely reminds me of Straker, although I do think that he's a little bit better (just as inconsistent though!). Weston does a lot wrong in a game, but he also does a lot right. It makes him a very frustrating player to watch at times but he can be an asset to the team.

One minute he can give the ball away cheaply, the next he can start a good counter attack with his pace (like today from a cleared corner in the first half). It's easy to see why he divides opinion so much just as Straker did.

Worrall man of the match. Otoole only touched the ball three times in the second half. A great statuesque debut - and brown subbed him last. Unbelievable.
I only saw him touch the ball once. Incredible Brown only subbed him because he is on 4 Yellows.He subbed Weston just as he started to look dangerous! For someone who has managed at the top he is clueless!

Weston had a stinker upto the first goal, somehow the keeper spilled his awful cross when there wasnt a player within 10 yards of him, then had made the same 2nd and had another shot tipped over

Didnt see a lot of evidence he could play that position, but in his defence he wasnt asked to today he was playing central midfield in Leonard's absence.

Its only his first game so shouldn't judge too harshly, but he didn't do anything to impress.

He was still closing the keeper down in the 93rd minute, didnt seem too immobile to me.

Me and the other poster was talking about crosses coming into the box and nobody on the end of them. He was not mobile when the crosses came in, that's what really counts. Closing down the keeper with seconds to go doesn't do it for me, as he knows he can go full pelt as it's his last run.

It's not just this game I am talking about. Can you not see it? Why do you think barring penalties, he has a poor goal scoring return this season. Watch him the next few games he plays, and see for yourself.

I dont recall that many crosses getting too near him, when he is the only man in the box (well the only man in the box taller than 5' 3") they need to be accurate.

If he can still run full pelt in the 93rd minute he isnt doing too bad whether its his last run or not.

Didn't play well...were never troubled by Northampton...won 2-0. That'll do.

nice touch by sufc at the end to put MK dons 6-0 Colchester on scoreboard at Fulltime,

and i had worral as man of the match, and weston is frustrating but can be great :winking:

Well, the Northampton commentary on Bluesplayer said Weston was Southend's greatest threat with his pace and crosses and thought he had a strong game.

Must have been watching a different game to me, he was woeful for most the game and only did anything of note when they had ten men. If I was Atkinson I'd be royally ****ed off.

Interesting and rather revealing You Tube reaction from Timlin today. Apologised for the fact we didn't play well. Admitted it wasn't pretty but grinding out a result was the important thing. Then went on to say that, even accepting their frustration, the players aren't particularly pleased by some of the things fans shout out..... "they're meant to be our fans!" It obviously hits them rather hard.
http://www.southendunited.co.uk/new...southend-united-northampton-town-2112698.aspx

Well said Michael Timlin some of the abuse hurled at the players is awful. Think there is saturation point of premier and champions league football on the tv that some fans expect a league team to play the same sort of football that they see night after night on the box. It is league two and we should remember that I do not remember this level of negativity and abuse several years ago and believe me we had some damn awful players.

Back