• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Evening Echo

The News
Match report: Southend United 2, Oldham Athletic 0

SOUTHEND United banished their penalty blues to beat Oldham Athletic 2-0 at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Most convincing we've been in quite a while. Thought we grew into the game and we had spells in the second half which were as good as we've played all season. Big shout out for Oxley's penalty save as the game would have been entirely different had that gone in.

First half we started okay, a little nervous and tense but calmed down and got better. Demetriou took our penalty superbly. Their penalty was very soft, you see them given but I'd say 8 times out of 10 they aren't, naive to give the referee the decision to make. Superb save from the Ox.

Second half we stepped things up massively. Strangely without Kightly we seemed to have a bit more freedom going forwards and Leonard was less caged in with Wordsworth alongside him as compared to Wright. Allowed Demetriou to get forward more too.

A lot of key players stepped up today, Fortune was superb, Demetriou great and McLaughlin played very well too. Wright added something at times and Wordsworth looked good considering he's been out. Hendrie justified a place in the team and Turner and Ferdinand were solid.

Oxley 8 Great penalty save, not a lot else.
Demetriou 9 Got forward very well and defended very well. Good movement and well taken pen.
Turner 7 Solid, good in the air but at times rushed needlessly when in possession.
Ferdinand 7 As above.
Hendrie 7 Started nervously but got better as the game went on and looked a far better fit in the role than Timlin.
Kightly 6 Never really got going, tried to do it all himself too often again.
Leonard 7 Battled hard but not his usual impact on the game.
Wright 7 Well taken goal but I still feel like we never play him in his best position. Drifted narrow when out wide.
McLaughlin 8 Up there with the best he's played this season, got at them and put balls in the box.
Cox 7 Harried them and played further forward than he has at times, looked isolated in the first half.
Fortune 9 Had a 15/20 minute spell in the second half which was possibly the best since he joined us. Turned them inside out for fun.

Build some consistency, decide on a shape which suits the players in our squad and stick with it. Today was a big positive so let's hope it's the start of something and a climb up the table.

Great team performance any one of 3 or 4 could have got the MoM award, life saver from the Ox though!

Oldham star was the bare chested man! What a loon!!

Best team won, and strangely Kightly's injury meant the second half we sacrificed a bit of width with AW but looked better for it. Tightened up a bit in the middle.

Oxley: 8 lovely penalty save at a crucial time, good handling and claimed a cross well I remember.

Demetriou ;8 Thought he played the best and most positive I've seen him for a while. Looked a penalty to me , but I was some way away, and maybe the fans nearer in the east stand will have a different view.

Turner 7.5 Did what he had to do well, reads the game and is strong to deal with. Didn't get picked out by any of our set pieces that I remember

Ferdinand 7.5 Not much wrong here today, played well alongside Turner, and no dramas, couple of good timely clearances and headers in the first half.

Hendrie 7.5 very good performance today from him, couple of strange decisions, but didn't cost us, and got a couple of good , dangerous crosses in first half. Needs game time, so lets give it to him.

Kightly 7.5 played well in bursts, and good control, went up front on his own late on in the first half because he couldn't run.
Got through a lot of work in the 30-35 mins.

Leonard ;8 PLEASE STAY Lenny made the right decision, kept possession and tackled like lenny the lion (sorry I'm old, and you younger zoners won't remember)

Wright ;8 Best game I've seen him, very involved , won the penalty, rightly , scored a good team goal, and kept possession well.

McGlaughlin ;7 not his most influential game, but he kept the ball and tried to use it well, and had a sneaky early shot that wasn't so far away.

Cox; 7.5 usual hard work rate and combined and linked up well when he could with MAF

Fortune ;7.5 created the second goal with some intelligent running and hold up play, sometimes had 3 defenders on him, lasted 90 mins and didn't noticibly tire.

Subs; Wordsworth 7 looked rusty (understandably) had a rising shot that went well over in the end, but his introduction tightened up the midfield, and his height meant we cleared more and gained possession when we were 2 up. Hope he stays fit, then they can talk about his contract.

Ba;6 didn't get much service and was probably told to get in the corner and run the clock down, which in fairness he did.

Overall pleased with the result, ref got most thing right, Oldham were awkward, and at times physical, you can see why they were on an unbeaten run. I thought both were penalties.

Oh P.S. Mitchell Cole MOM 10

A good home win, 3 more points and up to ninth place in the table. Add to that a solid performance from Ferdinand and Turner, a goal from Demi, my MoM and Hendrie delivering a good defensive/attacking performance and we had a pretty effective back 4. Behind them Mr Oxley continues to show what a good keeper he is by saving Oldham's penalty attempt.

When the defence works together as a organised unit it makes it much easier for our middle men to carry out their part, and our front two finished off a far better performance than other recent games. I've been a bit critical of Anton of late, but today he was back to his assured self. So, onward to the next game and away to Peterborough in the CheckaTrade trophy. Will Hendrie retain his LB berth? On today's performance, after a shaky few early moments, he should feel very aggrieved if he doesn't retain his place.

Will post properly later , but for now , 4 words

MARC ANTOINE FORTUNE - AWESOME

Hendrie looked like a different player, stayed focused, got forward and put in a number of good crosses. I'd give him an 8. Demetriou was solid. Leonard was his usual self. Oxley saved the penalty. But I'd give MAF MoTM... I think his work rate was just amazing today.

Everybody upped their game with the except of Kightly, wasn't happening for him on the right so he switched to the left and it didn't happen there either. I hope he's not injured for long but as I said in the match thread I prefer Wright on the right. I wonder in JW has posted any tweets after this game, looking at how that back four played...

Great performances all round. Defensively sound. Great working off the ball. Nice patterns of play and a goal threat throughout.

Oldham worked the ball around but the team were resolute and pressed them into errors.

Dissapointing crowd today just 5500 home fans. Last season's average gate was around 7500 odd with about 7000 home fans. It seems that PBs nonsense this season has made some fans stay away.

Play like today more often and hopefully they will return.

Big games against bradford and charlton soon should see 8k+ and 10k+ respectively.

A good day at the office.

That was an enjoyable game to watch and worth the admission cost, and some! Entertainment and a result!

There are some good and fair match reports above .
Oxley, 8, great pen save , couple of catches and shot work, proper keeper.
Demi, composed pen, good going forward, risky tackle for their pen.
Turner, good game
Anton, good game,
With the centre pairing they look sound but Oldham had two clear, free headers which PB and the two need to check on.
Hendrie, very good crosses, read game well and MUST keep the shirt. His confidence ought to be back.
Kightly, good but not special, tweaked hamstring, subbed for Woody who worked hard and seemed to almost man mark their Byrne out of game so he got subbed!
Len, very good, very fast, roughed up a bit.
Wright, lovely goal, some good forward support play, a few too many side slow passes but I am being picky.
Macca, return of the Mac! Top performance of the season from him, great first touch and work work work.
Cox, again a team man, worked and worked. Subbed for Ba who didn't do a lot but show Nile that he is slipping down the pecking list?
MAF, eternal youngster, strong man, mature head.

Finally well done PB, he showed great humour and play with the crowd in Easts with not watching the pen and joking that Woody ought to go on as sub to take it!

Hendrie, Demetriou and Oxley all superb today. Please, don't drop Hendrie for Timlin next week.

Great performances all round. Defensively sound. Great working off the ball. Nice patterns of play and a goal threat throughout.

Oldham worked the ball around but the team were resolute and pressed them into errors.

Dissapointing crowd today just 5500 home fans. Last season's average gate was around 7500 odd with about 7000 home fans. It seems that PBs nonsense this season has made some fans stay away.

Play like today more often and hopefully they will return.

Big games against bradford and charlton soon should see 8k+ and 10k+ respectively.

A good day at the office.
Last pay day before xmas for most. Probably shopping day for a lot of fans!

And some questioned why we have him an 18 month contract last season

Those that didn't question his contract watch him regularly and appreciate what he brings to the party. As others have said he was tres impressionnant cet après midi.

Have to agree. At times he was unplayable and some of his footwork was sublime. Very intelligent player who defies his age

Everytime I see the guy play I'm always impressed and shocked by his age... PB was defiantly correct to give him a contract

Our most convincing performance since day one.

Oxley: 9 - Another great and crucial penalty save. Neck and neck with Lenny for POYT.

Demetriou: 7.5 - Confident and assured display. Perhaps a silly challenge for the penalty so half a mark deducted.
Ferdinand: 7 - More confident with Turner alongside him.
Turner: 8 - Just the sort of dominant centre-half we need. Just hope he can stay fit.
Hendrie: 8 - Did everything he could do to cement the LB slot. Wasn't really tested defensively but very useful on the overlap and put in some teasing crosses.

Kightly: 6.5 - Slightly disappointing and typical of his season so far. Switching him to the left during the half didn't help.
Leonard: 9 - Powerful, athletic and becoming far too good for this division.
Wright: 8 - I think right-midfield suits him and the team. Tucks in when needed and plays the Atkinson/Pettefer role to give us an extra body. Cracking goal.
McLaughlin: 8 - Best performance for quite a while. Positive and direct.

Cox: 8 - Worked hard and linked up well with...
Fortuné 9.5 - Unplayable. Deserved a goal for all his efforts. Worked tirelessly and bamboozled Oldham with some magic touches.

SUBS: Wordsworth: 8 - Classy on the ball but can he stay fit? Sadly I doubt it.
Ba: 6 Didn't really have time to impress.

REF: 5 - Not great. Missed some obvious fouls and angered both sets of supporters.

OLDHAM: - Think they are a decent footballing side and it's obvious Wellens has had an effect and given them confidence. Jack Byrne looks a fine player.

OVERALL: - Hugely positive. More consistency - especially away from home - please!

Great all round team performance. Big pluses today .... we scored a penalty at last, quite coolly considering the pressure. Turner gives us that aerial dominance at the back that is so necessary in this division. It eases the pressure on Ferdinand who did a good job today. Hendrie's performance was so impressive when you consider how he's been left out in the cold for so long. He really needed to produce the goods today otherwise he knew he'd be pushed aside again when Timlin was back. He did exactly what you want from a full back .... and more. Three cracking crosses in the first half that really should have produced better but he got his foot/head to the ball first in many challenges. PB says he'll keep the shirt ... I hope that means not only for Wednesday but next Saturday too.

Back